Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-02-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Older Weaver Scope

First, I want to thank those that have helped me with my other questions on the Marlin 336 in 32 Winchester Special.

The rifle has an older Weaver variable scope on it. I have contacted both Weaver and Iron SIght Inc. (the Weaver steel scope repair shop) to find out what model of scope I have and how do I use it. I have never shot with a scope. I have used competion peep sights only on my big game rifles. Here is the info I sent them.
I have a 1954 Marlin 336SC with a Weaver 3-9x scope on it. The scope is a minimum of 30 years old. The tube is steel. When I rotated the Variable knob at the eye bell, it exposed the logo shown in the first photo (Eye Lens).

WEAVER V9
EL PASO, TEXAS, USA
PAT. NO. 3161716

I cannot see a serial number anywhere.

The scope also has a rotation knob at the objective bell, shown in the second photo (Obj Lens). What is that for? How do I use it?
Does anyone on this forum recognize this scope and help me learn how to adjust it and use it? Maybe a copy of the manual/instruction booklet?

Thanks in advance;

Vic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eye Lens.jpg (40.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Obj Lens.jpg (32.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM

Default not sure you would want to use it

Might be 40+ years old and I took one off a custom made rifle we know was made in the mid 60's. Technology has improved so much since that time that I am sure you would be happier with a newer scope. From my experience some of this old tech stuff is like looking through a key hole into a bright light.
These are easy to use and adjust. the threads on the eye peice are used to focus the scope to your eye. Once that is done lock it in that position and leave it unless your vision or prescription changes. the power setting for magnification allows you to change power of magnification between 3 and 9 power magnification.
the objective lens adjustment allows you to adjust Paralax error for different yards as noted on adjustment ring. You can set it for 200 which is the most common yardage I shoot or whatever you feel is the most likely shot you will encounter.my belief is that paralax error adjustment may be critical for target shooters who win and lose matches on 1/4 inch accuracy it is not relevent for most hunters and especially those using 40 year old scopes.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks wwbirds. I will go out and test this scope. I think it is in good condition and fine to use.

Vic