Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Default mixed powders anyone?

i recently read an article in handloader magazine about a guy testing different loads for handguns and to my understanding he was mixing different powders to get optimal recipes for his handguns... has anyone heard of this does anyone do this and is it safe practice?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 PM

john - it is widely believed that mixing powders is a dangerous game.

As you know there are many dozens of HG/shotgun powders out there to work up a load from, so the choice of powder/bullet/brass/primer permutations is almost infinite.

For any given bullet, most reloaders settle on the first couple powders that give them the desired results. It is nice to have an alternate load when your favorite powder is sold out.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

I'm not a really experienced reloader but that is not something that I would attempt. It sounds pretty dangerous. You can get very accurate loads without mixing powders so there is really nothing to gain.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 AM

Lot changes in a single powder can cause some serious trouble, alone blending two different powders. The guy you heard about doing that is either a powder company employee who has access to info you will never see or a mad scientist.
you can try it if you want, but you would be well advised to use a remote control trigger on the gun when you try it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

thnax for the info guys much appreciated... im not trying anything with reloading that is not tested and proven so i thought i better ask first
Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschmidt View Post
thnax for the info guys much appreciated... im not trying anything with reloading that is not tested and proven so i thought i better ask first
There's just too many variables with reloading, and too much great reloading info out there thats easy to obtain.
I'd put much distance between me and someone who is mixing powders.........
Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 PM

You might pick up and read the two books that P.O. Ackley wrote on his life of experimenting with guns of all kinds. He tried just about everything he could imagine. His advice is well worth repeating.... DON'T DO IT!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM

I'll be trying it, right after I take these here prescription drugs with an alcohol and turpentine chaser, while riding a motorcycle doing a handstand on the handlebars on Deerfoot Trail during Friday afternoon rushhour. Right after that.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'll be trying it, right after I take these here prescription drugs with an alcohol and turpentine chaser, while riding a motorcycle doing a handstand on the handlebars on Deerfoot Trail during Friday afternoon rushhour. Right after that.
You wouldn't be the first one to put on such a show
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Default mixing powders

Any reliable reloading source or manual will always advise DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT POWDERS !!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM

One of the limitations you accept, for your own good, when you go into reloading is to stick to proven concepts and mixing powders ain't one.

Grizz
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Quite some time ago when we had access to a pressure gun, we messed with this idea trying to match the new ammo man'f velocities, the Light Magnum and other primo stuff. Results were conclusive - there's absolutely no math, no predictability formulae that can be used with any reliability with available powders. It's as simple as every authority will tell you - don't try it. It can be dangerous....but it sure was fun and we didn't blow anything up either.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

thanx for all the info guys much appreciated