Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 AM

Default 2506 rem for puma

hear in wales and the uk like it or not, we have big cats,i have see them and also many others and hunters have, so if i shot one, wear would i shoot it ,the sholder to disable it i think, so it can/t run, would a 2506 do the job if so what bullet, or would a 7mm08 and what bullet, you guys know what your talking about ,all advice very welcome atb from wales steve
Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 AM

Default puma

Steve - I assume by puma that you are talking the equivalent of our cougar (mountain lion). A 25/06 would be plenty, however as a 7-08 owner I know that it would be a great choice as well. Any well made, expanding hunting bullet will get the job done. Take out the heart/lungs and you will have a dead cat.

Are these (exotic) animals coming from people who have aquired them as pets, and then released them into the wild ~ as I know they are not a native species. I remember reading reports of big cats in Scotland that had been released by irresponsible owners when they got too big to handle.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Default 2506 rem for puma

yes thats what i was talking about a cougar ,theres also lnyx ,and black panthers,all have been released when in the dangous animals act came in,in the late 1970/s last year me and a friend were out upland shooting with 20 gauges and there was a lynx about 100 yrds away from us many sighting buy farmers and they work the land all the time,but some sighting are just dogs,well i dont go looking for them anyway,theres a tracker from the usa buy the name of tom brown [tommy lee jones played him in a film ] and said that he found tracks of 4 big cats not for from wear i hunt, it ate the womans small dog, thanks for the infore atvb steve
Old 11-06-2010, 12:17 PM

dollman, 25.06 is plenty of gun for your Eurocats. I took my Cougar several years ago at about 50 yrds with an 85gr Winchester Ballistic silvertip in 25.06. 1st shot was right under chin and dead centre of the chest. Not much choice when they run right towards you. Second shot (only because its death throws were slightly disturbing) was into vitals behind shoulder. I'd suggest hunting with a partner so you can watch as many of you 360 degrees as possible, they are a sneaky bunch.