Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Default Bought a 22 Hornet

I just recently purchased a very slightly used Anschutz 1730 in 22 Hornet.I mounted a 3-9x42 Kahles CL scope in Talley mounts,and today,I was able to achieve 5 shot groups under 1/2" at 100 yards.The gun seems to really like the 40gr V-MAX ahead of 12.5gr of Lil Gun,seated .010" off of the lands.It should make a good 200 yard varmint rifle.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM

I definitely need a hornet someday.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 AM

The Hornet is an awesome little cartridge that fills a gap in the line up of cartridges, yet we hardly hear about it. I enjoy shooting mine, but haven't started loading for it yet. So much quieter then 223's and such, but still deadly inside most shooting ranges.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 AM

You will have a ball with it. They are a great round for high volume gopher shooting. About the saem cost to reload as 17 HMR, way better in the wind and much better in the 2-400 yard range. About as noisy as a 17 HMR.

I am so addictted to them I currently have 6 on the go, and have bought and sold some in between. The anschutzs are real shooters, as are the CZs and the browning A-Bolt micros.

When gopher season shows up, plan to have 4 or 5 hundred rounds loaded up. A guy goes through them pretty quick.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The anschutzs are real shooters, as are the CZs and the browning A-Bolt micros.
Don't forget the Sako 78's
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 AM

Default Bought a 22 Hornet

I'm sure the anshultz 22 hornet is one dandy little rifle. All those who have owned one claim they are so accurate.

I like the 22 Hornet cartridge and once had a browning micro. It was a good little gun but the clips were made out of plastic and were splitting. I think that 4 of them were replaced (factory warranty), reluctantly, I finally parted with it.

I was thinking about getting one of those Urberti single shot in 22 Hornet. I'm not sure if it's the High Wall version or the Low Wall version.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 AM

Had a Brno Fox II chambered in 22 hornet awhile back. Although not the most accurate round I've shot, it was a pleasure to shoot. Tried reloading a few different "time tested" 22 hornet loads but just never found one that particular gun liked. Still plan on buying another hornet! probably a Cooper this time.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Bullrambler, is this what you are thinking of?

Attachment 28498

Attachment 28499

Attachment 28500

Great gopher slayer. The 10X Unertl gives it a nice period look but means it still shoots. Will do well under an inch at 100 yards.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Tried reloading a few different "time tested" 22 hornet loads but just never found one that particular gun liked. Still plan on buying another hornet! probably a Cooper this time.
My Anschutz is very sensitive to seating depth.If I seat the bullets .040" off the lands,groups are 1" or more.Loaded to 1.840"the groups are under 1/2",but they don't fit the magazine.I snipped the plastic tips off of the bullets to fit the magazine,and accuracy wasn't effected at all.Clipping the tips probably lowered the BC a bit,but sighted in 1-1/2" high at 100 yards,the point of impact is 2" low at 200 yards.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 AM

I definetly NEED a hornet at some point too!!

Elk, We need some photos of your new toy!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 AM

It could pass for new,and was likely unfired.An older fellow was selling off his guns due to failing health.I ended up paying $1300 shipped to my door.I paid another $650 for the Kahles CL 3-9x42,and then mounted it with Talley rings.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It could pass for new,and was likely unfired.An older fellow was selling off his guns due to failing health.I ended up paying $1300 shipped to my door.I paid another $650 for the Kahles CL 3-9x42,and then mounted it with Talley rings.

Nice Rig!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM

No Kidding!!

At least now I know what to offer you when you want to sell it!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Not another Firearm,

Man your Hardcore elk11,how many guns do you own?

Your new 22 hornet is very nice,wood stock \great scope ,defienatley one of my favorite guns that you own.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Man your Hardcore elk11,how many guns do you own?
I am only at a dozen or so,a long ways from what I used to own.I am rebuilding my collection to suit my present needs,and I am close to where I need to be.I have the big game rifles covered,as well as my shotguns,handguns,and rimfires,and I am finalizing my varmint guns.The Hornet is looking like it's going to stay,and I have a CZ527 Kevlar in .223 trying out for the final spot.If it works out,I am done for now,if not,I will try a Cooper repeater in .223 when they become available in a few months.
I am also trying to get two more Kahles CL 3-9x42 scopes to replace the Leupolds on my Cooper rimfires.I have four Kahles now,and after using them,it is doubtful that I will ever purchase another Leupold.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I am only at a dozen or so,a long ways from what I used to own.I am rebuilding my collection to suit my present needs,and I am close to where I need to be.I have the big game rifles covered,as well as my shotguns,handguns,and rimfires,and I am finalizing my varmint guns.The Hornet is looking like it's going to stay,and I have a CZ527 Kevlar in .223 trying out for the final spot.If it works out,I am done for now,if not,I will try a Cooper repeater in .223 when they become available in a few months.
I am also trying to get two more Kahles CL 3-9x42 scopes to replace the Leupolds on my Cooper rimfires.I have four Kahles now,and after using them,it is doubtful that I will ever purchase another Leupold.
Right on!!! So is it for sure that cooper is coming out with repeater varmit cartridges? What model's? wood stock's,?

and most important are they coming out with a 204 ruger in a repeater rifle? Thanks!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM

According to the owner of Cooper,and the sales manager that I talked to last weekend at Prophet River,The magnum action 56,the stainless actions,and the varmint repeaters will be out this winter or next spring.If my CZ doesn't work out,I am hoping that a heavy barreled Jackson Hunter will be available in varmint cartridges,as the Cooper people were telling me.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
According to the owner of Cooper,and the sales manager that I talked to last weekend at Prophet River,The magnum action 56,the stainless actions,and the varmint repeaters will be out this winter or next spring.If my CZ doesn't work out,I am hoping that a heavy barreled Jackson Hunter will be available in varmint cartridges,as the Cooper people were telling me.
Well thats awesome that you made cooper days in loyd.Thanks for the info,i'm for sure going to hold now on buying until cooper makes this move next year with there new magnums and varmit repeater's.2011 might be a pricey year

Thanks again for the inside info!!