Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 06:23 AM

Default Cold Lake Trout with Underwater Luhr Jensen Test (videos)

This is just some action from the day actually missed the Big one of the day, guess the camera wasn't on. Stopped filming after these since we were just catching too many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbXpa0uo5jc

This is a great lake trout fishery and it is not that far away. So pack up your boat / downriggers to go check it out for yourself if you haven't yet. It is a beautiful lake with frequent aerial shows as fighter jets fly in formation over the lake in and out of the air weapons range. We had four jets flying in tight formation over us, pretty cool stuff. Bait really isn't needed as these fish are very willing to hit a lure. Trolling speed should be varied from 1.5 mph to 3 mph for best results.

Second, my first Cold Lake Underwater Trolling Video. This is the Luhr Jensen Test, didn't even do it on purpose, just realized when I was editing that I had tried three different lures they make. #1 J Plug #2 Coyote Spoon #3 Manistee Spoon. They would come charging in really fast and then something was wrong, cause they'd swerve last second. I think the camera and ball three feet away were spooking them. Check it out, kind of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YocfnKWhnA

If you're interested uploaded a couple others recently - Mabel Lake BC underwater Chinook Salmon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6_plLwuAs

Hawk eating a birdy breakfast on my fence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFo8l_EZ1nw

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 AM

Are you sure you don't want a show on the "fishing network"? Always informative and fun to watch!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM

Change the steel cable out for braid on your rigger, you can hear it in the vid, I'd bet money that was a problem for some of the lakers. If we can hear it, they can hear it.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnKokanee View Post
Are you sure you don't want a show on the "fishing network"? Always informative and fun to watch!
That would fun... maybe in the future but for now have to spend some time working and with the young family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Change the steel cable out for braid on your rigger, you can hear it in the vid, I'd bet money that was a problem for some of the lakers. If we can hear it, they can hear it.
Thanks, I was thinking of doing that but I am not sure if that is the problem since kokanee don't seem to mind. I'll give it a try though. What strength of dacron should I buy?

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Another great couple of video's. Thanks Brandon
Old 09-15-2014, 05:14 PM

nice vid, back from mabel lake?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Personally I don't think it makes much difference to Lake Trout.

I have tried various lead lengths and if sound were a problem one would expect more strikes on very long lead lengths as opposed to short lead lengths. I have not found this to be the case, at least with Lake Trout any way.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:58 PM

If it were sound I doubt they would even come close. The fact that they are coming close enough to look at the lure tells me that they just aren't interested in what you are offering. Having the lure so close to the ball and camera were probably issues but you should have noticed a difference when not filming(assuming you were only that close to ball in order to see lure on camera).
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Sometimes sound attracts. It would be cool to try both on a good day and film to see what happens.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 PM

I most definetally think that the camera was scaring them off. Did you notice in the video above water the black rod was catching all the fish. That is the one without the camera. The white rod had the underwater camera and they'd come check it out and not bite. I don't think the sound bothers them. I've even read in some lakes it works better if you only would the hook ten feet back of the ball as the sound and ball attracts the fish. Who knows for sure. I'll have to test the theory out with the braid one day. Here is what my camera case looks like to give you an idea how it may be a factor.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM

I don't find much difference in strike ratios between my Camera rigger compared to my non camera rigger. I would think the cannon ball itself would act as something suspicious to them but then again my camera is much smaller than yours. At the end of the day, like I have said before, Lake Trout are followers. I have seen this every single time I go out on my sonar even with 35-50 ft of drop back on my non camera rigger. You just need to keep adjusting your speed for that particular lure till you find the speed where you get the most bites. You need to change directions and some guys even "jig" with their riggers trying to get followers to bite.

Though from looking at your vid you were busy enough as it was.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Nice video but I do not see any PFD's on those children. Sorry if I missed it but I hope they have them on at all times.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Nice video but I do not see any PFD's on those children. Sorry if I missed it but I hope they have them on at all times.
Good eye, you must have missed the Moose Lake thread from the other month regarding the same subject.

Tags
cold lake, fishing, lake trout, underwater, video