Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Vanes Recurve vs Compound

Have gone the route of recurve from compound archery.
With my compound I've used both Blazer and Ice vanes on 30" Easton Hexx 400's with 100 gr. points at a 60 lb. pull.
Due to an injury I've now gone to a 30lb recurve, switched to the 6mm Hexx 480 spine arrows with intentions of shooting recreational barebow maybe some 3D.

I'm getting conflicting suggestions about vane selection for my new arrows. People say I should look at something other than the Blazer vane.

Any experienced suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:47 PM

It’s not recommended to use vanes unless you are shooting off a rest. Even then you will find festers to be a lot more forgiving.
AAE has developed a vane specifically for shooting traditional that mimics a feather. A friend of mine has them and has nothing but good things to say about them, also cheaper than feathers.
I suggest to stay away from your typical vanes you would use for compound shooting, they will cause a lot of headaches in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 PM

Shooting a Hoyt HPX which came with an AAE Free Flyt Elite rest.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:15 PM

You will find feathers(or the aae traditional vane) the most forgiving especially with an arrow that isn’t tuned very well. I highly recommend staying away from typical vanes. The rest will help with clearance and tuning imperfections but will only get you so far. If you just want to shoot and not worry a ton about tuning right off the bat just get feathers and go shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 09:06 PM

If your fletching will come into contact with the bow or the rest you should be using feathers. 4 or 5 inch. I prefer 5 inch.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:31 AM

As others have stated, unless you are shooting with a good rest, feathers are thee way to go when shooting a barebow recurve. A friend and I tested a bunch of different fletching years ago as an experiment, and it was quite obvious in the end that feathers were far more forgiving ( when shooting a light bow especially ) because they deform much easier when off the shelf or a simple rest.

As soon as I started shooting them out of my freestyle recurve the difference was minimal however, thee plastic vanes seemed too stand up quite a bit better.
If you look at the Olympic Freestylers, none of them are shooting feathers that I am aware of..

Cat