Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Question Building an ice shack

So im curious as to what you folks are using for materials??? I plan on doing the 4X8' frame with plywood on each end on hinges with a spreader on the top. So far I plan on using a "heavy" duty 12X24' tarp from princess auto. Is there a better option for that??
Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM

But one if u are going that small
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
But one if u are going that small
For the price it would cost to build, compared to the price of a manufactured one, cost 3 times as much. If I was gonna buy one it would have to be a 6 man. You know the ol 2 man is good for 1, 3 for 2 ect.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 PM

i just bought a 6x8 aluminum shed....(or get a used cheap one) spray it with foam....put a floor on it and bam ....shack
Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
i just bought a 6x8 aluminum shed....(or get a used cheap one) spray it with foam....put a floor on it and bam ....shack
remember being 6x8 you can only transport by trailer
Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM

correct....well depends what he wants to do....time...money....i built a 2 man shack out of wood with a tarp and bloody heavy.....
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
So im curious as to what you folks are using for materials??? I plan on doing the 4X8' frame with plywood on each end on hinges with a spreader on the top. So far I plan on using a "heavy" duty 12X24' tarp from princess auto. Is there a better option for that??
Old garage door panels is my plan for this year . R12 value, im going for 8×8 with 6' walls (3 panels high) four 8×6 sides tin screwd together on the location with 2 9' 2×6 As skids. Thats the plan at the mo . Will see how it flies and take picks . Will cost next to nothing 100 $ or so. Should fit on the roof rack and be put together in under an hr.:sHa_shakeshout. Plan to use the hole left by happyfishes truck on gull as my go to spot.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Spent about $500 a few years back to build mine 4 X 8
that fits in the back of a truck and pops up.

Awesome insulation value as I used he orange construction tarp
product and then covered it with Black over top.

Its up for sale now ..... if anyone is interested or wants to see
how its built for reference.... send me a pm with our email address
and I will send you pics.

see you on the ice.....
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
correct....well depends what he wants to do....time...money....i built a 2 man shack out of wood with a tarp and bloody heavy.....
3 8' 2X4's and 2 sheets of 1/2 or 5/8ths (Havent decided yet what to use, only an $8 difference) spruce plywood wont be too heavy for a young buck like me Time is limited as I wanna fish and tired of my hole freezing over and money.... Well shes on the tight side lmao
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Old garage door panels is my plan for this year . R12 value, im going for 8×8 with 6' walls (3 panels high) four 8×6 sides tin screwd together on the location with 2 9' 2×6 As skids. Thats the plan at the mo . Will see how it flies and take picks . Will cost next to nothing 100 $ or so. Should fit on the roof rack and be put together in under an hr.:sHa_shakeshout. Plan to use the hole left by happyfishes truck on gull as my go to spot.
Thats not a bad plan actually. Our old shop is coming down soon, the demo company gets first dibs, We have alot of panalling, hopefully they leave some behind and I can claim enough
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Default Built er and it works :)

Well built it, ended up using and insulated tarp. It was roughly -20 or so today when I was using it. I had a little toilet paper can heater going. It was warm enough that the walls were not a bit cold to the touch at all! Now gotta get me a propane heater and im laughing

Only issue with it is the sheet I used for my door musta been twisted a bit, so the door doesnt close proper. Ill fix that with a couple more latches. Other then that nice and cozy, keep a guy outta the wind on those cold lonely nights chasing burbs, Best part is no more frozen over holes

Stay safe out there this winter! Hope to have some pics to share when the time comes
Old 12-08-2013, 09:08 PM

I am kind of curious as to what the costs come in at considering the sales you can get sometimes after, off, or even during the season sometimes.

I thought about making one too, but thought an insulated tent that folds down, or comes up in just a minute or two and weighs 30-40 lbs and packs up nice and small isn't that far off in terms of cost ??

Smaller tents,of course, cost less, an insulated tent, the size you are talking about might sell for under $200 on sale. Saw one at Canuck Tire, yesterday, for $199 and it's roughly the same size you are making.

I ended up with an Eskimo insulated tent, 8 x 8 in size, (949i), and paid full price at TFH for $399. Weighs ~40 lbs and packs down small.

Something to consider anyways ..... just the costs add up it seems on many of my projects and the result is never as good it seems - for me at least.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM

I was going to build a shack , 8 x 10 or the likes . But after pricing the material and I would have to put it on a trailer to move it , I looked on kijji for a little old holiday trailer . 400 to 600 bucks , it has wheels , windows , seats & a gravity furnace. Get a light set from whoever & bolt them on , put air in the tires and go fishing ! Oh ya, cut holes in the floor too .
Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 AM

I like a variety of lakes and mobility, so I got a insulated flip up tent. Thought of a trying a shack but then I'm limited to the one lake.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Gone Hunting

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Home depot has very lightweight high density styrofoam or pink foam, even has fool on one side, use that for lightweight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
We should start a thread on finished ice shacks complete with pics. Share a few of the ideas , mix & match whatever works and if someone wants to start on a build , here's a few that have worked ?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
We should start a thread on finished ice shacks complete with pics. Share a few of the ideas , mix & match whatever works and if someone wants to start on a build , here's a few that have worked ?
A good idea

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
That is a good idea Next time I set er up ill take some pics
Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 PM

had a few wood shelters myself....hub tents are the the way to go.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 AM

I built a 4x8 semi portable last year and it would have been much cheaper to buy a fold up. Ex. The cost to paint the dam thing was ridiculous.

When u build it your never satisfied with how it turned out and when u buy your fishing right after the credit card clears.

Best to get a pop up and put the savings to gas or tackle.

Cheers
Old 12-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelada trochu View Post
I built a 4x8 semi portable last year and it would have been much cheaper to buy a fold up. Ex. The cost to paint the dam thing was ridiculous.

When u build it your never satisfied with how it turned out and when u buy your fishing right after the credit card clears.

Best to get a pop up and put the savings to gas or tackle.

Cheers
Cost me $60 to build it, Pretty cheap if you ask me Nothing fancy by any means. It keeps me outta the wind and cold. I cant justify spending 400-800 on an icefishing shelter while the wifes in school. When we can afford to spend that kinda money on things, then ill be giving this one away and buying a nice 8 man