Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Question Fishing with a canoe

We are waiting for the arrival of a new canoe (thanks to a fitness equipment purchase program through work) A MadRiver Explorer im wondering where would be a great place to take her out on her maiden fishing adventure??? I would love to do the river but with it being so high fast and dirty I am sure it would turn into a canoe trip pretty fast lol.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Are you an experienced canoer? If not, I'd stay away from trying to fish a river while canoing right off the bat. My first trip when I bought my canoe was Pine Coulee Reservoir.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Dipping Vat
Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Where ever you go practice dumping your canoe. I learned the hard way that a person should always make sure you have tacklebox, cameras, and other things tied onto your canoe.
I once dumped my canoe on pigeon lake and everything in the canoe went to the bottom of the lake. Luckily I was only in 5 feet of water and was able to recover everything. Once the canoe starts tipping it is instant waterworld. always wear your lifejacket. Hard to put one on when you are already in the drink.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Where ever you go practice dumping your canoe. I learned the hard way that a person should always make sure you have tacklebox, cameras, and other things tied onto your canoe.
I once dumped my canoe on pigeon lake and everything in the canoe went to the bottom of the lake. Luckily I was only in 5 feet of water and was able to recover everything. Once the canoe starts tipping it is instant waterworld. always wear your lifejacket. Hard to put one on when you are already in the drink.
Great advice here. take it into a small local lake/pond. and tip it over. Try to right it or get into it Better to find out the problems in a situation like this than during a real emergency.

ALWAYS WEAR PFD. No exceptions.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM

get some dog chew toys, specifically the 10 inch rubber hoops, tie about 5 together and keep tied to the front of back of your canoe as an impromptu ladder for helping you back in should you capsize. as we get older, getting back into a canoe is not easy. also keep a set of dry extra clothes in a good glad bag but don't squish out all the air. If fishing, bring little as opposed to your big tackle box or tie a kiddies life jacket to the handle even foam like a pool noodle wrapped at the butt end of your rod will keep it accessible if you tip.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:24 PM

I had a canoe for years and spent time on many lakes from the Lethbridge area, Lac LaBiche area, to lakes and salt water on Vancouver Island. I dumped it once on Badger into 4.5ft of water. A fellow boater helped gather up my belongings and I dragged the canoe to shore. If you are alone, or have a partner, wind can be a problem. I was alone on Beaver Lake near Lac LaBiche
and was trying to get back to the launch in a brisk wind which kept spinning the canoe off course. After much sweat, I made it and saw two old-timers sitting on the dock with big grins on their faces. One was a former trapper who suggested I put a largish rock in the front of the canoe to make it easier to control in windy conditions. It worked quite well.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wizard View Post
a brisk wind which kept spinning the canoe off course. After much sweat, I made it and saw two old-timers sitting on the dock with big grins on their faces. One was a former trapper who suggested I put a largish rock in the front of the canoe to make it easier to control in windy conditions. It worked quite well.
Or get on your knees and paddle from the center of the canoe. Sitting on a seat in the wind is a recipe for donuts IMHO
Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM

If by yourself in the wind you can always sit in the front seat and paddle toward the backseat (front seat more central)
Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Smile Take some lessons

If you are new at this welcome to the club. If you can, join a conoe club or take so lessons from them, you'll take me.

Tie in your spare paddle, your bailing bucket and anything else you want to keep.

If you don't know what you are doing it is a terrible way to travel, on the other hand, once you "have it" it is a magic carpet ride.

And BTW if you have time you can paddle all the way to Montreal or New Orleans, your choice.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
If you are new at this welcome to the club. If you can, join a conoe club or take so lessons from them, you'll take me.

Tie in your spare paddle, your bailing bucket and anything else you want to keep.

If you don't know what you are doing it is a terrible way to travel, on the other hand, once you "have it" it is a magic carpet ride.

And BTW if you have time you can paddle all the way to Montreal or New Orleans, your choice.

This is a great resource for paddlers in Alberta

http://www.paddlealberta.org/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
If by yourself in the wind you can always sit in the front seat and paddle toward the backseat (front seat more central)
Looks kinda funny in my v stern clipper......
Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Frog;
Great advice here. take it into a small local lake/pond. and tip it over. Try to right it or get into it Better to find out the problems in a situation like this than during a real emergency.

ALWAYS WEAR PFD. No exceptions.
This is really great advice. All canoes are not created equally some being more prone to tipping. Capsize recovery experience is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wizard View Post
A brisk wind which kept spinning the canoe off course. After much sweat, I made it and saw two old-timers sitting on the dock with big grins on their faces. One was a former trapper who suggested I put a largish rock in the front of the canoe to make it easier to control in windy conditions. It worked quite well.
Also, good advice. When going solo I put my 115lb Golden in the bow...he's good ballast

Also loading your heavy gear in the bottom of the canoe can help cut through the wind and keep the boat stable. On a multi-day river trip, some firewood is good for this.

For your maiden voyages focus on paddling less on fishing. Don't load the canoe too much.

Learn how to do a proper J stroke on stillwater and draw strokes for rivers.

For your river trip be very selective and choose very easy water and go with club or others with river experience. River paddling is way different than on the lakes and can be a pretty white-knuckle experience if you're trying to learn on the fly.

Good luck. I LOVE canoeing to the club!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 PM

good lessons are worth every penny. At the very least, learn to J stroke.

as per your original question, take it to a local pond first and get a feel for the new canoe. Then you can go crazy and tackle any waters you wanna paddle/fish.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 PM

I should have worded it a bit differently. This is my first personal canoe, Not my first time lol. Iv done classes in the past with capsizing and recovery and all that. Just looking for a good days fishing on the water I guess lol.

Keep the tips coming though!!! I cant be the only one of few who fish with a canoe lol