Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Default Knotted fly line leaders

I am looking for recipes for knotted fly line leaders . I intend to use fluorocarbon

fishing line .
Old 03-29-2015, 09:34 AM

Youtube has a lot of info on knotted leaders also if you just google you will find lots of info including charts and formulas.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 AM

X2.

Just remember fluoro sinks. Not so good for dry flys
Old 03-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Or if indicator fishing, you don't want lots of fluoro between end of fly line and indicator (hard to pull up out of the water when setting the hook)
Old 03-29-2015, 01:36 PM

You'll see lots of leader formulas that suggest building the taper out of 5-7 lengths of various diameters. That's a lot of knots,,, doesn't need to be that complicated.

Build your leader out of 3 sections then add your tippet. The butt should be about 50 - 60 % of the total length before tippet,,, and then work down from there.

Lets say for a 6 wt fly line start with a 30 lb butt section, 5 feet long (60") long. The next section of 20 lb should be half as long again (30 "), followed by 15 inches of 12 - 15 lb. Now add a couple feet of tippet and you have a leader that is 10 1/2 - 11 feet long. That makes for a fairly general purpose leader.

Adjust the butt length accordingly if you want a longer or shorter leader. For heavier lines (8 wt plus) start with 40 lb and you might want to drop to a 25 lb butt for 4wt and less.

I like to loop the last section of the taper with a small double surgeons loop and loop the tippet as well creating a loop to loop connection for tippet to leader. This allows you to change tippets numerous times without affecting the leader configuration.

When building the leader, I like to use same brand for the 3 taper sections, ie, I have used maxima, ande, triple fish, hard mason and rio for mono leader materials,,,, and I really like seaguar FC blue label leader for fluorocarbon. Since I loop the tippet on, the tippet section can be any type of material as I do not need to worry about knot slippage with a loop to loop connection.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 PM

Make twisted leaders you only need one spool of line. Really easy to make.