Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Default Champion Lakes (Sunken Lakes) Winter Kill

Hiked up to Champion lakes yesterday near McLean Creek.
Both lakes look like they winter killed. Hung out there for an hour and didn't see one fish jump or any fish near shore. The water was very clear and usually when I have been up there fishing i've caught fish in both lakes and have seen some swimming close to shore.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Too bad. Used to be a great lake with big fish.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Unfortunate, but not surprising, they seem to kill every few winters. They'll produce well again.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM

I was up there a few weeks ago too and didn't see any signs of fish
Old 06-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Was up there last weekend too, couldn't believe the amount of aquatic insects moving around. When they restock it, it wont take long for them to fatten up.

Lost my leatherman in the parking area, anybody find it by chance?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Default Winter Kill

Was up there yesterday for the first time ever. Took the raft and fish finder out on the lower lake and then hiked up to the upper lake as well. Sorry to confirm but the lower lake is I am guessing 100% killed out. As I was out on the raft with my polarized glasses I could see the lower lakes floor riddled with dead trout. At least 100+, most around 12-14" with a few monsters looking to be closer to 20" if not over. The lake is only 15ft deep at the deepest so im not surprised. Fish finder gave a bunch of false positives from the logs and etc but no signs of life what so ever, even during a huge PMD hatch no risers. Upper lake looked just as dead from the shore but will come back later with the raft and fish finder to see if the depth is deep enough to hold em through winter. They seem to stock both lakes every year either early june or late june so I can't wait till they get the triploids back in there. Its a sad sight to see a winter kill a good fishery, especially since they just put cutties in both lakes. Really would have rounded the lakes out with 'bows and cutties. P.S. no letherman found in the parking area sorry.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Winterkill

Its not surprising given the winter we had and the history of the lakes I do not think I have ever seen them go any length of time without a kill going back to the seventies