Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Baiting coyotes

Never tried it yet. I usually just set snares on trail I walk through the bush with my snow shoes. Question is I work a 10 days on and 10 days off schedule. Is it a waste of time to try and bait being gone for 10 days. Just want to try something new this year. Not looking at catching a lot of coyotes just something to get me out in the winter a little more often. Farm land with a residents licence.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 PM

I don't think it's a waste bait it the first day off hang snares and check every 2-3 days on days off. Pull your snares the last day before you go back and put some bait down. When you get back you should have lots of tracks and trails to set on. I would think you would do pretty good this way.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 AM

I trapped when working 9 and 5. some rotations I wouldn't knock my snares down if my buddy could check them once or twice. he also had his trapping licence.

takes a bit more planning, and you have to trust your friend. if they are flakes I wouldn't count on them running your line for you.

I was only running 2 baits that year and fairly close together.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 PM

Thanks I will give it a try. Can't hurt anything. I will defiantly pull my snares while I'm gone.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 PM

I ran into some problems with the birds getting at my coyote catches before me. I was checking every 3-4 days. On the advice of some AO members I started checking more often (every 2 days if possible) and didn't lose any others. 10 days between checks seems like a really long time to me. I'd be inclined to partner up with a friend if possible to help you out when your at work.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:54 AM

I run a few baits in different loops. I have a trapping partner on 1 loop. He is a great friend of mine and we have major trust between us. We check roughly twice a week. He checks weekends i check on wed. No more than 5 days between checks. Usually 3days. Huge help well worth the sharing of the fur bounty.

Bill
Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 AM

3 day checks you might have the odd bird issue. 4 days for sure. This is what I find on farmland. Up north I have never had a bird issue and can leave them there for a week no issues
Old 08-14-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
I don't think it's a waste bait it the first day off hang snares and check every 2-3 days on days off. Pull your snares the last day before you go back and put some bait down. When you get back you should have lots of tracks and trails to set on. I would think you would do pretty good this way.
X2 It works very well for someone that I know.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csheep View Post
Thanks I will give it a try. Can't hurt anything. I will defiantly pull my snares while I'm gone.
Set them up in an area where you have the high ground, we did this type of set up in saskabush, almost always got a few with the 17rem...just an extra bonus.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

Default Baiting Coyotes

Use a mechanical feeder with dog or cat food. If birds are an issue then use the chunk food used for horses. Some feeders won`t dispense the large chunk style of feed.