Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Florida Rocket launch

We're heading to Orlando for 2 weeks in August with the main goal of spending our time at Disney but there was a rocket launch scheduled for August 17th so we made plans to check that out.
I just checked back on the Kennedy Space Center web page, and the launch that was scheduled isn't there anymore but there is a different mission planned for "August."
For me this will be the highlight of the trip but I'm curious if I should be planning for it or just hope to get lucky and there's a launch while we're in the area and that we can get tickets for a viewing area in time.
We've never been to a Disney park before but I think that I need to create somewhat of an itinerary to purchase park passes and fast passes, etc.

Let me know your experiences.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:03 PM

The chances of catching a launch are dependent on alot of factors, weather being one of them. So even if a launch is planned for that day, it may not go forward.

But it's definitely worth checking out the kennedy space center anyways, lots of cool stuff.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM

we've done it twice . one satellite launch and the last night launch of the space shuttle . viewed them both from coco beach . both worth the time to line it up and i would definitely recommend it . the only problem is that it takes very little weather to modify their plans moments before launch . the shuttle launch was delayed two days and launched the night before we had to leave . enjoy .
Old 06-25-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
we've done it twice . one satellite launch and the last night launch of the space shuttle . viewed them both from coco beach . both worth the time to line it up and i would definitely recommend it . the only problem is that it takes very little weather to modify their plans moments before launch . the shuttle launch was delayed two days and launched the night before we had to leave . enjoy .
Aren't the space shuttles retired?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Aren't the space shuttles retired?
yup " the last night launch of the space shuttle "
Old 06-26-2019, 12:51 AM

My family and I watched STS 127 launch on July 15 2009. This was he one with 5 failed launch attempts because of bad weather. Woke up that morning and it was pouring and I told the family we were going to Kennedy Space Center for a tour and watch the launch. My wife thought I was nuts but I said the weather will clear up and they will launch today.

We went for our tour and boarded a bus with the other people going to watch and we were told as a good luck charm we were going to watch with the families of the astronauts and contractors at Banana Creek. The bus driver basically started crying as the was the first time in history civilians got to do that. He said he's been driving for thirty years for them and it was his first time to watch from those bleachers. Same ones you see in Men in Black III and movies like Apollo 13.

It was well worth the normal tour but if you get to watch a launch then it is a bonus. Cocoa Beach is not all that far away and the viewing will be distant but would probably work if you don't want to pay for the tour.

Here's a link from a guy that was there like I was.
https://dixiehwy.blogspot.com/2009/0...ana-creek.html

Last edited by Rdamours; 06-26-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Space Center will be on the to do list. Cheers
Old 06-27-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyh View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Space Center will be on the to do list. Cheers
Kennedy Space Center was awesome. Drive there was fun also.

In Alberta you drive along and see deer, coyotes and crows.

Down there you drive along and see egrets, armadillos and alligators.

We didn't plan to see the final space shuttle launch however it was postponed a number of time leading up to our being able to see it.

We saw it at night and a ways away and I laughed because we woke up early to watch it...then a dude saw a light lift off in the sky and went back to bed. I checked the news and saw the launch was delayed 5 minutes...we waited and it took off. The whole sky went from pitch black to a blazing sunrise...except the shuttle was rising and not the sun. The noise was loud even at a long distance.

Getting closer would be cool...however not necessary to have an experience.

The pond at the entrance to Kennedy has large mouth bass swimming around in it...with alligators visible from the viewing platform.

Enjoy the experience. Get the bus tour of the launching area if possible. We got to see the shuttle on the launch pad which we saw take off a few days later. Will remember that for ever.

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 AM

Back in about 1982 or 1983 our family got to watch one of the shuttle launches - we were observing off one of the interstates (can't remember the details) and were probably about 5 miles or so away. The one thing that still sticks out in my mind was the rumble from the engines as that thing left the ground, truly a sight I will always remember. I was about 15 at the time, one of the coolest things I've ever been able to see.