Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Default Nobody out for bears yet?

Lots of em out and about according to reports. Anybody have baits out? What are you using? Anybody actively hunting them yet? Seeing anything? This dump of snow today, sapped the will to haul baits right out of me.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM

I saw my 1st bear last saturday, but I wouldn't say there's a lot of bears out, more like a few young bears that made a bad choice on denning site.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:12 PM

If you can find an early bear that is big enough you can't get a better hide than what you find early. With respect to baiting, seems at tad early to me but if the bait is out it really doesn't hurt anything, unless your bait is subject to breaking down from rain or snow. If you have remote sender cameras and don't have to physically run the baits every few says to check for activity I see no drawback to early baits.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:17 PM

I'm setting up my bait next week. Its definitely early but Ill have time off work. Well see what happends. My trail cam sends pics to my phone. I'll post them as soon as I get some action.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:06 PM

I put my bait out a couple of weeks ago, early but I had the time and wanted out of the house lol, using popcorn and turkey fryer oil for bait and making my own star anise oil for scent while I wait on a buddy to get me some beavers.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedstew View Post
I put my bait out a couple of weeks ago, early but I had the time and wanted out of the house lol, using popcorn and turkey fryer oil for bait and making my own star anise oil for scent while I wait on a buddy to get me some beavers.
Awesome. Any hits yet?!
Yes it's early. I always started early for the same reason- to get out of the house. I found I faded fast thought end of May. Live and learn! Now I just spot and stalk... 4 kids will do that to ya
Old 04-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Awesome. Any hits yet?!
Yes it's early. I always started early for the same reason- to get out of the house. I found I faded fast thought end of May. Live and learn! Now I just spot and stalk... 4 kids will do that to ya
Nothing yet but working 16hr days I haven’t been back since Sunday, will be checking again tomorrow, I prefer spot and stalk, but being not real familiar with bears yet I like the idea of having lots of time to ensure I’m picking the right one,, and I can jump in my rzr and be at my sight in 20min👍 Only have two kids so far but the struggle is real lol! They are excited to come see some beats once I get some hits and they help with making popcorn as well
Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedstew View Post
Nothing yet but working 16hr days I haven’t been back since Sunday, will be checking again tomorrow, I prefer spot and stalk, but being not real familiar with bears yet I like the idea of having lots of time to ensure I’m picking the right one,, and I can jump in my rzr and be at my sight in 20min👍 Only have two kids so far but the struggle is real lol! They are excited to come see some beats once I get some hits and they help with making popcorn as well
Awesome keep us posted
Old 04-04-2019, 07:16 PM

My sweet popcorn collection. This is what 50kg of popcorn looks like. The candy corn is Kool aid, jello and sugar mix. I learned to thicken it as much as possible and cool it to just above freezing. Hot syrup makes popcorn melt.
I have a litre of Mexican vanilla that tasted like plastic I was going to toss. Use it at one of my baits poured on a stump?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190401_132733~2-800x600.jpg (105.0 KB, 331 views)
Old 04-04-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
My sweet popcorn collection. This is what 50kg of popcorn looks like. The candy corn is Kool aid, jello and sugar mix. I learned to thicken it as much as possible and cool it to just above freezing. Hot syrup makes popcorn melt.
I have a litre of Mexican vanilla that tasted like plastic I was going to toss. Use it at one of my baits poured on a stump?
I would for sure, I was using vanilla my first year poured som on the ground around the barrel and they dug pits 2’ deep where it was.. I haven’t done full on candy corn yet usually just pour on extra fryer oil and jello or juice mix
Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I usually buy a water sprayer from Home Depot and load it with a water/vanilla mixture. Mist it all around the site
Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Popcorn production underway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190330_220817-800x600.jpg (133.6 KB, 337 views)
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Put my baits out on the weekend but there beside my house so not much travel. Buddy has bears on his bait already. West of edmonton.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Put my baits out on the weekend but there beside my house so not much travel. Buddy has bears on his bait already. West of edmonton.
My secret sauce is gonna bring them in on the run!!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 AM

Mines been out for a week but it was just some dog food and grease to start. Nothing when I checked Sunday but I filled the remainder of the barrel with popcorn covered in a sticky sweet mix (syrup, sugar, jello) and hung a meat bucket. Went for a ride around the area and found some fair size tracks about a mile and half away so its only a matter of time now.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Was out having a look around this weekend, still very cold and lots of snow up in 526/527 so decided to fish and man was it a great day of fishing. Gonna wait a few weeks before I go back up, not much going on.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:51 PM

1 bait out. Lots of snow still in the bush, cold. It's still winter.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:03 PM

I got my bait set today. Not expecting any action for at least 1 week.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Bought a license today, anything is possible. maybe tomorrow.

Grizz
Old 04-10-2019, 10:36 AM

I have a guided hunt end of may. So pumped. Been dreaming of bears for months now.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
I have a guided hunt end of may. So pumped. Been dreaming of bears for months now.
Best of luck. When you figure all the work to set up and maintain baits, I think guided makes great sense.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Best of luck. When you figure all the work to set up and maintain baits, I think guided makes great sense.
I wont do it any other way if a bait is involved. They were up before be hunting beavers and were asleep after us.Never seen people work as hard as these guys did. Went with smokey river outfitters and was blown away with the welcoming feeling. This year I am looking for a specific target. The big boar showed up after the last hunt day and has been in my dreams since.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Was out having a look around this weekend, still very cold and lots of snow up in 526/527 so decided to fish and man was it a great day of fishing. Gonna wait a few weeks before I go back up, not much going on.
Fishing in the peace?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 PM

I setup my bait on April 9th. Still no action...
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM

There has to be more green than this.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM

2 bears on bait today
Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
I wont do it any other way if a bait is involved. They were up before be hunting beavers and were asleep after us.Never seen people work as hard as these guys did. Went with smokey river outfitters and was blown away with the welcoming feeling. This year I am looking for a specific target. The big boar showed up after the last hunt day and has been in my dreams since.
Greg's a great guy and a great Outfitter worked for him for a few years I also built the Box blinds you'll probably be sitting in good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Fishing in the peace?
Yes, North of Peace River
Old 04-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Yes, North of Peace River
Cool. My stomping grounds. Used to fish where the caddotte, whitmud, and notikeiwin enter. Wolverine by carcajou as well. Lots colour phase bears in the hills!
Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 AM

you folks up that way think may 11-18th a tad to early still to set up and a decent bear. i have a opportunity to come up by Ft-Mac area to hunt with my friend & guide?