Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Banned

This is the Alaska yukon record
75” spread
Previous record had a spread of 65”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C194996D-D2C3-49DB-A8C7-E08FB7C68799.jpg (21.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
This is the Alaska yukon record
75” spread
Previous record had a spread of 65”
Is that Dave from the FV.com on the left?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Is that Dave from the FV.com on the left?
Ha
Tricky Dave from the tuna.com
Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Hunt for close to 2 months and then shoot the monster from the truck.

Unbelievable but that is the way she goes some time.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
The current world record ( Boone Crockett) was taken in Yukon a few years ago and that isn't it.

There has been a bigger one measured in AK that is the first bull moose to break 270, but to my knowledge it hasn't been panel scored yet. A buddy of mine found it in a small village during his spring antler buying trip. An older FN guy had killed it.

The Washington moose is nice, real nice, but Im not a fan of the SCI scoring system.
I could be wrong but I thought that the FN in Alaska are required to saw the moose antler across one of the pans to prevent them from shooting too many trophy bulls. Wouldn’t that be something if a world record was shot and then cut.

Also, would they bother panel scoring a subsistence bull that was likely/ possibly shot out of the regular season by a FN member? Im not sure that would meet the requirement for fair chase. Post a pic of this beast though if you have one.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 AM

I prefer the B&C scoring method.
That is a heckuva nice moose, but those long points give it too much credit, in my opinion.
The paddles on it really aren't that big... I way prefer full, wide paddles, with short points.
Usually when you see a bull like that with long points, it's a younger bull, that hasn't filled out yet. Which I would bet is the case here.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 PM

I saw a moose nearly this large outside of Dawson city Yukon circa 2002, it crossed in front of our ford expedition and looked down on us. I have a feeling these pictures do not do justice to just how big this monster is.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 PM

It's not what I would call a world record moose,but to that hunter and there scoring system it doesn't get any better in his eyes.

He waited a long time to get a tag and hunted hard and decided to just go looking and found one.I would rather be very lucky than good,cause many good hunters just don't get that luck sometimes specially with only 48 hours of hunting left after a long hunt.It's better to have both on your side.

He didn't get what some hunters call a world class moose,but there's ten of thousands that would be more than glad to take what he shot.Plus he never went to some other country to do it,not that this is a bad thing,but he did it where he lived or close by and was well rewarded.

Either way he can tell everyone he shot a record moose and his grandchildren if he has any will tell that story 60 years from now to there kids,so it's all great in his eyes and mine.99.8 percent of the world or less wouldn't know any better,so it's all good in many hunters eyes.

Money makes all kinda things happen where you can shine and brag about it,but this guy did it the only way maybe he could afford to make this happen and still has bragging rights.

If you live where you have zero chances of getting a moose in your life,then by all means get an outfitter to make it happen if you can afford it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's what matters.