Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 PM

Default Want to plan a real memorable fishing trip

Hey everyone. I'm originally from Ontario. When i was growing up I spent ever minute from the time school was out in the summer until I was forced to go back in the fall at one of Northern Ontarios most amazing fly in fishing resorts. It was and is still one of the most important places in my life. I really miss home, and going away and having a boat and motor on a quiet lake or river and great fishing. This year myself and a few friends who are also from back home would like to take a trip somewhere and get into some good fishing. Somewhere a bit remote where we can pull up a trailer, drop a boat in the water and camp, fish, drink beer and have a good time. Anyone have a recommendation of such a place? Northern Alberta? Saskatchewan? Anywhere closer than Ontario? Lol . I'd like to start planning the trip, so any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks everyone
Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Northern Saskatchewan, it'll even remind you of home.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Northern Saskatchewan, it'll even remind you of home.
Where? Any suggestions? Places to camp? Lakes to fish?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:14 PM

What kind of fish would you like to catch?? Big rainbows or pike and pickerel....
Old 03-03-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
What kind of fish would you like to catch?? Big rainbows or pike and pickerel....
I'm not about the type of fish. I just want it to be awesome. So either some monster fish, or a lot of fish, or just something not common. I've been fishing rainbows the last 5 years, so it would be great to do some pickerel/walleye and pike fishing. But I'm open to whatever as long as its worth it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 PM

Sorry I won't post the location of lake X, I've been sworn to secrecy by the great friend who introduced me to that country when I moved here. There's three main roads into northern Sask. pick one and go. Bring spare tires the roads are terrible.

Fishing is great all over and with a little exploring I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. The farther off the beaten path you are the better it gets. I've caught grayling, whitefish, walleye, and pike out of the same spot within minutes of each other.

I will say a spare motor is a good idea. We once towed my boat 65km after I knocked the bottom end off.

If your group is interested in fly-ins Lake Athabasca has been my most memorable.

I should add that if you plan on going up north, go for a week minimum, it's a lot of driving and setting up to only be there a few days.

Last edited by Tfng; 03-03-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 PM

Sorry I re-read your post and realized you want to take a 5th wheel?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM

Catch a lot of fish. Then it becomes memorable.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Catch a lot of fish. Then it becomes memorable.
Or wreck a lot of valuable equipment to never make it to the lake you had planned lol.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry I re-read your post and realized you want to take a 5th wheel?
I've got a 23ft travel trailer. Would be great to go somewhere I could park it and camp. Fly in would be amazing, but none of us are very rich guys. haha.. So we're thinking a camping and fishing trip.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Pm sent
Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchapple View Post
I've got a 23ft travel trailer. Would be great to go somewhere I could park it and camp. Fly in would be amazing, but none of us are very rich guys. haha.. So we're thinking a camping and fishing trip.
Wollaston Lake could be a good place to go. Walleye, grayling, trophy size lakers and pikes.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:04 PM

Default It is fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Wollaston Lake could be a good place to go. Walleye, grayling, trophy size lakers and pikes.
but you need a "large" boat for that one, and towing a big trailer up there can be "interesting", particularly if the conditions are "wet" (?). I would suggest Tobin Lake (around Nipawin, SK). Several good campgrounds (Provincial and private), boat launches, and access points, and, being a reservoir, if the wind makes it tough for a small boat on the lake portion, one can retreat to the long and relatively calm river stretch below the upper dam, which is actually just as good or better fishing than the lake, at times. It is pretty hard not to catch quantities of Walleye, Pike, fat Suckers, and even Perch there. Or you can cast small spinners for Goldeye from shore - my kids had a blast doing so below the upper dam - continuous action. I believe it still holds the SK record Walleye title (? - 18+lb.), and I have seen a number of 13-14 pounders there - not me - my best was a mere 10 pounds or so. That afternoon one August in the 90's, just jigging over a school of large walleye close to the lower dam, 4 of us caught 23 walleye in about 1.5 hours, with only 2 of them under 5 lb. - magical (?). I have seen a real trophy perch come out of there (guy was trolling for walleye/pike and a 16.5 inch quite fat perch took the crank - almost 3 lb.) - he put it on his wall. It is ridiculously easy to catch numbers of Pike in the 6-15 lb. range, either casting in the shallows of the lake or backwaters of the river stretch in the spring or late fall, or trolling the old river edges of the lake in the summer, or putting large baits down deep on the mid-lake flats in the fall, and I have seen some 25+ pounders come out (my best there was an 18 lb., and they are very fat by AB standards - well fed?). There are some absolute monster Pike (30lb. +) residing on the walls of the restaurant and tackle/bait shop at "Murray's" resort. I once did a houseboat rental long weekend (out of the marina on the river stretch in Nipawin) with a lot of (now) ex-in-laws and kids (cousins to mine) there - none of them with the foggiest clue about boating or fishing - just jigging off the houseboat in the places we parked, everyone caught walleye and pike in quantities - first fish ever caught for some, great fish fry on the BBQ, and huge smiles all around. Pretty hard place to beat for such purposes.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
but you need a "large" boat for that one, and towing a big trailer up there can be "interesting", particularly if the conditions are "wet" (?)
If you come there at right time you don't really need a boat, in June they stick to the shore following schools of baitfish.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 AM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions...
I've been talking to my buddies and going over all the suggestions..
We're considering even maybe (since prices aren't extremely horrible) just driving out to Sask and renting a cabin and boat and motor. Then we don't have to haul anything out. Gas savings will probably make up for the cost of the cabin and boat.

We've been looking at a few options - but are on a tight budget.. 4 guys... maybe $2000/total...

We were checking out http://www.threelakescamp.com/

Prices are good and it looks like decent fishing...

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Buffalo Narrows or Dillon Saskatchewan have great fishing and cheap cabins, $75 a night for 4 people. Paved highway most of the way. You can fish the rivers or the main lakes. Nice options if the wind picks up.

Mad
Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Buffalo Narrows or Dillon Saskatchewan have great fishing and cheap cabins, $75 a night for 4 people. Paved highway most of the way. You can fish the rivers or the main lakes. Nice options if the wind picks up.

Mad
Great, thanks. I'll look into it.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM

Head to Northern Saskatchewan. Find Pinehouse on the map, its north and East of Beauval, which is North of Meadow Lake.

From Pinehouse head north towards Key Lake Mines. You get into the Canadian shield and there is tons of Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout, and grayling fishing. Lots of Bears too. The farther North you go the better.

It's been ten years since I was there but around KM 187 IIRC there is a trail to the east that will lead you back to Costigan Lake it's a big lake with lots of bays and islands. You can't get a holiday trailer in their but a truck camper or tenting is fine. A few little lakes along the lakes that will produce huge pike if you put an effort to get a boat in.

A little farther up the road from 187 is an air strip. If you go to the far end of the air strip you will find a trail take the trail to the right and follow it down to a smaller lake, in this lake you will find huge Lake Trout and decent Pike.

Segert Lake is in the area as well and will produce Walleye. Halltain river will give you grayling and walleye, put a boat in the river and follow it you will find many many lakes that will produce fish.

Good luck and post pictures of your trip.

BW
Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 AM

The Smoothstone and Dore lake areas have some gems too.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
The Smoothstone and Dore lake areas have some gems too.
Dore Lake was recommended to me as well.. it's on my list..

We're travelling from Airdrie - So I was also looking at http://www.greenlakelodge.ca/ . It's only about 7 hrs from here, prices are great, and the fishing doesn't look too bad... Might not be super far north - but it's got cabins, boats, and fish... as long as we have beer we're set!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
but you need a "large" boat for that one, and towing a big trailer up there can be "interesting", particularly if the conditions are "wet" (?). I would suggest Tobin Lake (around Nipawin, SK). Several good campgrounds (Provincial and private), boat launches, and access points, and, being a reservoir, if the wind makes it tough for a small boat on the lake portion, one can retreat to the long and relatively calm river stretch below the upper dam, which is actually just as good or better fishing than the lake, at times. It is pretty hard not to catch quantities of Walleye, Pike, fat Suckers, and even Perch there. Or you can cast small spinners for Goldeye from shore - my kids had a blast doing so below the upper dam - continuous action. I believe it still holds the SK record Walleye title (? - 18+lb.), and I have seen a number of 13-14 pounders there - not me - my best was a mere 10 pounds or so. That afternoon one August in the 90's, just jigging over a school of large walleye close to the lower dam, 4 of us caught 23 walleye in about 1.5 hours, with only 2 of them under 5 lb. - magical (?). I have seen a real trophy perch come out of there (guy was trolling for walleye/pike and a 16.5 inch quite fat perch took the crank - almost 3 lb.) - he put it on his wall. It is ridiculously easy to catch numbers of Pike in the 6-15 lb. range, either casting in the shallows of the lake or backwaters of the river stretch in the spring or late fall, or trolling the old river edges of the lake in the summer, or putting large baits down deep on the mid-lake flats in the fall, and I have seen some 25+ pounders come out (my best there was an 18 lb., and they are very fat by AB standards - well fed?). There are some absolute monster Pike (30lb. +) residing on the walls of the restaurant and tackle/bait shop at "Murray's" resort. I once did a houseboat rental long weekend (out of the marina on the river stretch in Nipawin) with a lot of (now) ex-in-laws and kids (cousins to mine) there - none of them with the foggiest clue about boating or fishing - just jigging off the houseboat in the places we parked, everyone caught walleye and pike in quantities - first fish ever caught for some, great fish fry on the BBQ, and huge smiles all around. Pretty hard place to beat for such purposes.
This looks really good too... A bit more expensive, but nice boats and look at the size of this fish coming out of there! haha
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Head to Northern Saskatchewan. Find Pinehouse on the map, its north and East of Beauval, which is North of Meadow Lake.

From Pinehouse head north towards Key Lake Mines. You get into the Canadian shield and there is tons of Pike, Walleye, Lake Trout, and grayling fishing. Lots of Bears too. The farther North you go the better.

It's been ten years since I was there but around KM 187 IIRC there is a trail to the east that will lead you back to Costigan Lake it's a big lake with lots of bays and islands. You can't get a holiday trailer in their but a truck camper or tenting is fine. A few little lakes along the lakes that will produce huge pike if you put an effort to get a boat in.

A little farther up the road from 187 is an air strip. If you go to the far end of the air strip you will find a trail take the trail to the right and follow it down to a smaller lake, in this lake you will find huge Lake Trout and decent Pike.

Segert Lake is in the area as well and will produce Walleye. Halltain river will give you grayling and walleye, put a boat in the river and follow it you will find many many lakes that will produce fish.

Good luck and post pictures of your trip.

BW
Got any GPS co-ordinates of your favourite fishing holes near home I could post online?

That's a harsh statement I guess but wouldn't a pm have been just as helpful to the op and not have this info out in cyberspace for eternity? People aren't so quick to tell all when its in their own backyard. For guys wondering, it's true ten years ago there was awesome fishing with easy access, unfortunately it's quite busy up there now and it will take a lot more effort to find amazing fishing now. Don't be surprised to pull into Costigan (or other nearby lakes) and find there isn't enough room for you to set up a tent.

Last edited by Tfng; 03-06-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 03-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Got any GPS co-ordinates of your favourite fishing holes near home I could post online?
No coordinates for that neck of the woods. Back in the early to mid '90's I was taken up there with my Dad, an uncle and a guy that was in his late '80's who knew that country very well. He told me he used to run up there by dog sled from Meadow Lake back in the the 1920's, 30's and 40's commercial fishing. They'd stack the fish like cord wood on the lakes and then haul them out by horse and sleigh with ice boxes. Later on they would run cat-trains up there.

Went up there every hear for about a dozen years or so, until Dad got sick anyways and couldn't make the trip. It was an amazing time, we always caught and ate a lot of fish. If you go in early to mid June it only gets dark for about 2.5 hours, the fishing days can be long.

BW
Old 03-06-2015, 03:10 PM

My point was I wish you would have just pm'd the info. Yes it's beautiful country but it's been hammered hard in the last ten years.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post

Mad
Never been there myself but had buddies go there and the fishing in that area is unreal. Pictures did prove it to me.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-07-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Dore Lake was recommended to me as well.. it's on my list..

We're travelling from Airdrie - So I was also looking at http://www.greenlakelodge.ca/ . It's only about 7 hrs from here, prices are great, and the fishing doesn't look too bad... Might not be super far north - but it's got cabins, boats, and fish... as long as we have beer we're set!
Green lake is a good place to go. Fished there a fair share. They have new campsites also. Great structure, lots of walleye, pike and the odd lake trout. Well over a 100 feet deep in the middle. Isn't very busy and a great place to drink beer and catch fish.

Mad
Old 03-07-2015, 07:55 PM

There's an amazing place near Flon Flon in Manitoba. Bakers narrow, a few of us went there a few years ago. They do boat rental and the lakes a pretty big. We caught some big pike (obviously my wife caught the biggest one )

We hired a cabin, there's loads of amenities, a hot tub and were slides into the lake for kids. if boating isn't your thing we were catching pike and walleye off the banks.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help..

We've decided pretty much on 2 options, and whichever works out for us we'll take I suppose...

First option is Green Lake, since it's fairly close, inexpensive, and would be a good time for us to just get out, drink beer and catch some fish..

But we're also thinking that maybe some amazing fishing is better than just some good fishing, so if we can swing it we're hoping to head up to Dillon Lake/Buffalo Narrows area.

I've been trying to find some drive-in outfitters/lodges that we can rent a cabin and boat and motor from at a reasonable rate...

This is really the only one I've come up with so far:

http://www.tinkerscamp.com/

Anyone know of any other camps to check out up there?

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:58 PM

Default Houseboat?

Quote:
This looks really good too... A bit more expensive, but nice boats and look at the size of this fish coming out of there! haha
I can't remember what we paid for it (some years ago), but I think it is well within your budget. Out of the main marina on the river stretch at Nipawin, Tobin Lake - I'm sure they are not hard to find on the web. They will give you a very detailed river stretch map to navigate it to the lake, and lake map with depths, and very well-equipped. The only issue I would raise is that there should be at least one person aboard who has some experience with boating. If I had not taken the "captain" role, driving, navigating, anchoring, etc. the group that I had with me would have had some difficulty - no one with any sense of dealing with direction, geography, wind direction, sonar, radio contact, etc. You need at least one "salty sea dog" aboard for the trip.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=madman;2757086]Buffalo Narrows or Dillon Saskatchewan have great fishing and cheap cabins, $75 a night for 4 people. Paved highway most of the way. You can fish the rivers or the main lakes. Nice options if the wind picks up.

I highly recommend this place, just bring your boat at least a 14 footer
Big fish good size lake