Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 02:32 PM

Default 1981 16' Invader / 115 Merc - Am I crazy?

Hey All,

A good friend of mine's father in law is looking to get rid of his 1981 16' Invader bowrider with a 1981 115 Merc 2 stroke. I'm getting the family discount and he only wants $1,500 for it, but most of you have a lot more experience than I do - so I wanted to get your thoughts.

It was always just a family ski boat and it's very well taken care of - but the age definitely scares me. It's been parked for the last 4 years, but he said it ran well when he parked it. Last summer, he moved it from the garage to the yard and said he fired it up with muffs and it ran fine. The trailer has one flat tire, but other than that is in very, very good shape. The boat itself could use a good cleaning, but is also in really good shape for the age.

I'm more concerned with making sure the motor is alright because I definitely won't be able to afford a new 115 HP outboard. I'm not at all scared of a project and I'm pretty mechanically handy - but I'm not looking for a money pit either. I'll bring some new plugs and some Seafoam and most likely a new water pump impeller before we launch it, but he did say he'd make sure it runs before I pay him.

Am I crazy or does it sounds pretty hard to lose money on this when it's $1500?? I ultimately want an aluminum fishing rig, but thought this would keep the girlfriend and dog happy and still let me fish until I can afford one.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:55 PM

$1500 will hardly buy you a used 9.9 and 12 foot tinner of the same vintage. You can't loose.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I'd say if it's something you'd want to se then buy it
Sounds like a win win to me
Old 08-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Fix the tired and take it to a local lake for a test drive.
If all is well buy it .
Old 08-02-2015, 03:11 PM

Buy it. If the motors hooped, sell the boat.
If the boats hooped(rot), sell the motor.
Can't really lose. (Unless both are hooped).
But take it for a rip on the lake if you can. You'll have all you need to know that way.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Buy it. If the motors hooped, sell the boat.
If the boats hooped(rot), sell the motor.
Can't really lose. (Unless both are hooped).
But take it for a rip on the lake if you can. You'll have all you need to know that way.
Exactly my thoughts. If something's wrong and I have to sell it - I don't know how I'd lose, especially with the trailer.

And Yeah - I'm going to head back out in the next couple weekends with a few tune up pieces and take it for a good rip. It's already on a lake, so I'll have my answers pretty quick.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:26 PM

Bought a boat last summer with a 1983 Merc 115 2 stroke only 130 hours on it. Runs like a dream
Old 08-03-2015, 05:43 AM

Invaders are great boats. Guarantee that thing will fly. 1500 is a steal for a powerboat if it works. That said lower unit repairs can be costly and timely if you do them yourself without the right tools. That said, the repairs usually last awhile.
Id take that deal in a second. A 100 hp or more outboard itself is worth thousands even if it's 30 years old.
Also ask when the last time the bearings on the trailer have been replaced....sounds petty but its a cheap and quick repair but can ruin your new purchase really quickly if something goes wrong hahahaha.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 PM

had an invader for years, great boat. post some pics

yep as others said, cant go wrong. pretty easy to do a compression test, don't worry so much about the numbers, just that all cylinders look about equal. with the stuff your going to do have at er and enjoy the rest of the summer!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
had an invader for years, great boat. post some pics

yep as others said, cant go wrong. pretty easy to do a compression test, don't worry so much about the numbers, just that all cylinders look about equal. with the stuff your going to do have at er and enjoy the rest of the summer!
Asked for a few pictures and this is what I got. It obviously needs a good wash and some TLC, but the scaling you can see wiped off easily with my finger. I'm pretty pumped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invader1.jpg (39.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Invader2.jpg (39.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Invader3.jpg (28.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-04-2015, 11:12 AM

Did the exact same thing with the same make/model boat with a 115 evinrude. It had sat in a barn for years and years. Cost $700 to get it tuned up and running (steering was seized etc...), but have not had any problems since it was tuned up. It is great for pulling kids on a tube and has more than enough power to pull a skier.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:25 PM

You may have to change the water pump impeller, change trailer bearings, new battery and a good cleaning. = $ 300 - $400 at most. I have the same 115 merc and its a great engine. Except for the amount of gas it drinks if you open it up. It's a gasaholick !
Tell him that you will probly have to spend 300 bucks of fixing it up with such things, maybe he will drop the price slightly/. $1500 is a good price tho ! Should be a good boat too. Ours is on a Crestliner that looks the same.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.