Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default Question for the Walleye guys

I'm looking at getting a second walleye rod. I have a Shimano Crucial 6'-6" one piece rod (older model), it seems a lot nicer than the new ones, and cost a lot more, but I want something in the 7' range with a little more backbone for trolling crank baits. The new Crucials don't seem to be what I'm looking for so I'm thinking G.Loomis or St Croix. I don't want to spend $600 on a new rod, but around the $300 mark wouldn't be out of the question.

What would you suggest in a one or even two piece rod that would suit my style and budget of rod? I have a Shimano Sustain 3000 to put on it, around 8-1/2oz's.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:50 PM

St. Croix Premier. 6 1/2' or 7', medium heavy.

Spruce
Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
St. Croix Premier. 6 1/2' or 7', medium heavy.

Spruce
The only problem with the premier is that it only comes with a one year warranty. I was going to buy one for my son but I found out the triumph had a 5yr warranty and was $40 cheaper. I have a couple G.Loomis rods, and although they cost a bit more, I think the life time warranty is worth the extra money, my Crucial also came with a life time warranty.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM

I your using it for trolling, I would go with a 8' rod. Something in the St. Croix Eyecon line or similar. Okuma, Fenwick, and Shimano will have rods that will suit your needs.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 PM

Default Rapala

I like those Rapala XTR series for the money .....WSS

Jigging feel xcellent . 4 yrs of hard use no blemishes

I have more expensive rods ....Fenwick , Shimano

But no 2 PC 5'6" or 6' with the light tip and backbone

These have ...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

I was looking at the St Croix Legend LES70 MF2 $350 (2piece), and the G.Loomis WRR 8500 (one piece)$330. The G.Loomis has a limited life time warranty on it, but I'm not sure what the St Croix offers in that model, does anyone know?

I have to admit, after using 1 piece rods for walleye fishing over the last decade or so, I haven't felt a 2 piece that is as nice. I'm a little leery about getting a two piece in fears it won't match the one piece in sensitivity. I have a fenwick HMG 2 piece I can use for if I have to pack it in.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:58 PM

Mainly a jigging rod or pulling bottom bouncers and cranks?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Mainly a jigging rod or pulling bottom bouncers and cranks?
Pulling bottom bouncers and cranks. My Crucial serves as a great jigging rod @ 6'-6" and MF action. It's soft and sensitive, easy to set the hook while jigging. I'm looking for something medium-medium heavy in a fast or even x-fast action. When I'm pulling crank baits they almost feel too heavy for my Crucial. My HMG feels stiff enough, I just want something a bit longer, (7'+) and maybe a bit more sensitive.

Also, when I'm spending >$200 it's nice to at least have a limited life time warranty. I once broke two Berkeley Series 1 rods on one trip!!!! No warranty so I was out almost $400. True story.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 PM

I have a couple of the WRR 9000S GLX and love them. I use them for slip bobbering and rigging. I've never trolled cranks behind them tho. That's what the trolling rods with line counters are for.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
I have a couple of the WRR 9000S GLX and love them. I use them for slip bobbering and rigging. I've never trolled cranks behind them tho. That's what the trolling rods with line counters are for.
I don't want something as heavy as a trolling rod with a line counter just for dragging crank baits, I have a couple bait cast set ups for that. I just want something a bit bigger than my jigging set up, but smaller than my IMX MB843c. I also have a GL2 with a bait cast reel, and a really heavy Shimano Techneum if I want to pull something really heavy.

For walleye I don't need a line counter or a heavy action rod, that's way overkill for trolling cranks. Maybe if I was pulling hoochies with a flasher or something.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM

For what it's worth, I bought a St. Croix Premier 7' medium power / fast action rod last summer (despite the disappointing warranty) for the same purposes - mainly trolling - and I absolutely love it. It has a ton of backbone, almost too much if you're going to be catching a lot of small guys, but I still find it really sensitive. Fingers crossed I never break it!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
For what it's worth, I bought a St. Croix Premier 7' medium power / fast action rod last summer (despite the disappointing warranty) for the same purposes - mainly trolling - and I absolutely love it. It has a ton of backbone, almost too much if you're going to be catching a lot of small guys, but I still find it really sensitive. Fingers crossed I never break it!
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, except I'd like a better warranty. I guess the St Croix doesn't come with the warranty like the G.Loomis. To me the life time warranty is worth the extra money to me.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Banned

St Croix Legend Tournament. I have three and they are fantastic with the Lews BB1 or Pro Speed Spool.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:21 PM

Check into the St.Croix AVID series...available in 7ft both one and two pc...Med/fast action...Limited Lifetime wrty...WSS North had a few instock a while back
Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 PM

7' Quantum Smoke. I love it and you feel everything.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Going cranking this weekend. Both my son and I have Quantum Smokes. Just have to be careful with the tiny line guides. Rod socks are a must.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 PM

My choice would be the Premier. I have, and have used a lot of others. You don't want a fast tip for pulling blades IMO, stiffer the better. However, for cranks a softer tip isn't always a bad thing, nice to be able to see that the rig is working like it is supposed to. It would also depend on reel type you use, as a premier requires a bait caster or closed face. Loomis makes some excellent rods designed for pulling cranks, just not worth the $ IMO. Buy 2 premiers for one Loomis, and like the Premiers more.

Spruce
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Going cranking this weekend. Both my son and I have Quantum Smokes. Just have to be careful with the tiny line guides. Rod socks are a must.
Might have to try one of these. Fast tips or backbone throughout? The little guides are okay unless the poplar fuzz is flying.

Spruce
Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 PM

The St Croix Eyecon 7' MH moderate is a nice trolling rod at a decent price, I use mine to chuck cranks as well and a backup bouncing rod.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Have a look at the new E6X line from G Loomis Limited Lifetime Warranty for under $200. Pretty tough finding a top notch rod to do both rigging and Bottom Bouncing as rigging uses max 1/2 ounce and bottom bouncing usually 1 and 1/2 ounce to 3 ounce. Grab a quality G Loomis for the crankbait/rigging and then you can cheap out on the bottom bounce rod. Happy Hunting.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:55 PM

St. Croix Legend Tournament, strictly use it for bottom bouncing and love it.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 PM

St.Croix Legend Tournament Walleye Bottom Bouncing / Crankbait rod ...... that's the perfect ticket for exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

I have the 7' Med-Heavy power, fast action, rated up to 3 oz, specifically for bottom bouncing and heavier crank baits.

It's one piece and has excellent sensitivity. It runs around $300 or so but I got it on sale for a little less.

It is, without a doubt, an excellent rod for the application. Maybe the best one out there. Trust me - I have purchased and gave away more rods in the last few years than most fishermen will ever buy in a lifetime .... this is a great set up.

I like this one better than my GL2 Loomis as it's a bit stiffer through the spine yet still fast and sensitive near the tip...... look at the St.Croix Legend Tournament Walleye.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM

The St croix eyecon is a great rod series, and only runs you around $130. It feels like a quality as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 PM

I have a lot expensive of rods in my boat but my favourite is a $20 Canadian Tire special that I bought for my son. I catch a ton of walleye with it, it's not about the rod.

Last edited by Lambo; 08-03-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Default Update

I checked out a bunch of rods you guys suggested over the past couple weeks, just so happened that it was friends and family pricing this past weekend at Cabelas and I had an invite. I went with the G.Loomis walleye rod. I didn't take it out for walleye yet but I did try it out at Cold Lake trolling for pike and lakers. It worked great on the pike and even worked for the lakers, but it's a spinning rod and I prefer my bait casting rods when I'm using down riggers. The lifetime warranty that they come with and the discount I got on it, made it hard to pass up. Plus it's exactly the type of rod I was after.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 AM

Try Templefork rods as they have A main supplier in CALGARY SO IF YOU BREAK IT IT CAN BE EASILY REPLACED
Old 08-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Since there seems to be some confusion on the matter regarding St.Croix warranty...

http://stcroixrods.com/service-warra...anty-policies/

Scroll to the bottom of that page and it lists what the rods come with for warranty. Most of their mid-higher end rods come with a lifetime warranty. I have used their warranty before and it was always an easy process.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 AM

St Croix Legend Tournament - my wife bought me one for my birthday - most amazing rod I've ever handled...I swear I can feel fish lips open near it as they are about to take the lure...
Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring_assassin View Post
St Croix Legend Tournament - my wife bought me one for my birthday - most amazing rod I've ever handled...I swear I can feel fish lips open near it as they are about to take the lure...
The only thing I didn't like about the tournament rod is the handle design. I like the full length cork handles, I can use them in my rod holders when I'm trolling and they don't get hung up while I try to remove them when there is a fish on.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Default taxidermist

Hi guys, wondering if anyone knows a good taxidermist. I was hoping to find one in Grande Prairie but I don't think there is one here. Maybe Edmonton? I caught a ten walleye on the weekend and would like to get it mounted.