Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 PM

Default delete

Seeing a few trucks pulling their trailered boats from their camp stalls a few miles to the boat launch and the boat is loaded with people .Anyone else notice this practice . Anyone get any tickets doing this ?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 PM

Default Illegal

Comepletely illegal to ride/allow someone to ride on the outside of a vehicle.
Can't remember the section # but it used to be $115 in Alberta.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 PM

We do it from the cabin down to the lake.

It's about 200m and we don't go over 25, but we accept the risk of getting a ticket.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

[QUOTE=-JR-;2913366]Seeing a few trucks pulling their trailered boats from their camp stalls a few miles to the boat launch and the boat is loaded with people .Anyone else notice this practice . Anyone get any tickets doing this ?[/Q

If you are lucky a warning, if not a ticket, if your really unlucky someone gets hurt or killed

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-01-2015, 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=58thecat;2913551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Seeing a few trucks pulling their trailered boats from their camp stalls a few miles to the boat launch and the boat is loaded with people .Anyone else notice this practice . Anyone get any tickets doing this ?[/Q

If you are lucky a warning, if not a ticket, if your really unlucky someone gets hurt or killed
^^^^ This !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Did it for years with my paralysed uncle. We also rode in the back of trucks in fields, went tobaganing, drank outta a garden hose, and shared our beer with a dog.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Did it for years with my paralysed uncle. We also rode in the back of trucks in fields, went tobaganing, drank outta a garden hose, and shared our beer with a dog.
Yeah I did that too but then along came a cop who I knew and told me to smarten up and gave me a warning...in fact shared a beer with my lab last night

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

Then we grew up, gained experience and realized the possible consequences.

Not everything we did was correct. Times have changed and so has a lot of society. In a lot of ways, like work ethics back when you knew what to do without being told. Not like today with the constant excuse of, "you didn't tell me ....."
Old 08-02-2015, 03:27 PM

So - officially - it's illegal for the boat driver to get into the boat while the driver of the tow vehicle backs into the water down the launch?

I'd say there is NO chance of a ticket being issued unless you were driving around the campground or down a street or something. I can see the risk here - as it's not quite a smooth ride.

We have travelled a hundred or hundred fifty yards like this before - but just the boat driver ..... all other passengers depart/embark at the dock. Anything further than that could be dangerous and deserves a warning or fine.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
So - officially - it's illegal for the boat driver to get into the boat while the driver of the tow vehicle backs into the water down the launch?

I'd say there is NO chance of a ticket being issued unless you were driving around the campground or down a street or something. I can see the risk here - as it's not quite a smooth ride.

We have travelled a hundred or hundred fifty yards like this before - but just the boat driver ..... all other passengers depart/embark at the dock. Anything further than that could be dangerous and deserves a warning or fine.
I thought those Lunds always had a smooth ride, were you in someone elses boat.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:54 PM

A few miles? What campsite is a few miles from the boat launch? Cross only at crosswalks
Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I thought those Lunds always had a smooth ride, were you in someone elses boat.
My big butt compresses the air ride too much ..... lol.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
We do it from the cabin down to the lake.

It's about 200m and we don't go over 25, but we accept the risk of getting a ticket.
And the risk of permanent injury or death, but that's your call. Hope you don't let children in the boat.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
And the risk of permanent injury or death, but that's your call. Hope you don't let children in the boat.

I realize that that can happen but wow people should relax, no wonder why all the kids growing up these days as pansies and whiners. All the parents think like this and rap there kids in bubble rap.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
I realize that that can happen but wow people should relax, no wonder why all the kids growing up these days as pansies and whiners. All the parents think like this and rap there kids in bubble rap.
You can always tell which parents didn't mind letting their kids fall on their heads....

Mack
Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
You can always tell which parents didn't mind letting their kids fall on their heads....

Mack
And those that wrap their kids in Bubble wrap.

So many rules, So little time.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:10 PM

I used to let my kids sit in the boat when I pulled it from the campsite to the launch...until I got a stern warning from a C.O.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Mack

Lol. I grew up on a farm and pretty sure my parents would of got in lots of trouble with what they let us do. But glad they did it the way they did! Glad I am not like most of the young guys now now a days that got left on there mothers tit till they graduated high school.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Lol. I grew up on a farm and pretty sure my parents would of got in lots of trouble with what they let us do. But glad they did it the way they did! Glad I am not like most of the young guys now now a days that got left on there mothers tit till they graduated high school.
Not sure where you get your opinion of YOUNG GUYS ....... but kids can be raised with out being a mommy boy and still not be raised recklessly. ....not sure what the farm has to do with it?

Mack
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
And those that wrap their kids in Bubble wrap.

So many rules, So little time.
No need to wrap kids in bubble wrap just don't be stupid.....

Mack
Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 AM

I know a ticket was written at Gull Lake for $150 per person riding in the boat on a public street on the way to the boat launch. RCMP wrote the ticket.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Not sure where you get your opinion of YOUNG GUYS ....... but kids can be raised with out being a mommy boy and still not be raised recklessly. ....not sure what the farm has to do with it?

Mack

I get my opinion from personal experience I see in the work force. I am a shop Forman in a welding shop and it's sad to say the least of about 80% of the guys that come to work. And the farm has lots to do with it, and if I have to explain it to you you won't get it anyways. But it's my opinion and you don't need to like it. Just don't forget to cut air holes in your kids bubble rap.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:53 PM

Riding from campsite to launch in boat is way less risky than riding in the truck from the city to the lake... just saying why risk it?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:05 PM

The mile drive at 25 km an hour from the cabin to the launch is way less risky than the boat while operating at full throttle and I still do that and yes I do go full throttle with children in the boat.

The concept of risk management has been lost to the unthinking masses.

Ironically I saw my first CO at the cabin in the better part of 20 years, but I was in the Yak at the time.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I get my opinion from personal experience I see in the work force. I am a shop Forman in a welding shop and it's sad to say the least of about 80% of the guys that come to work. And the farm has lots to do with it, and if I have to explain it to you you won't get it anyways. But it's my opinion and you don't need to like it. Just don't forget to cut air holes in your kids bubble rap.
I'm sure the reason you can't explain is it makes no sence I was raised on a farm but we were taught not to be stupid......as far as my boy there was no need for bubble wrap he was not raised stupid either......played soccer...football ....got his black belt in Goju Ryu at 16 was o the CanAm Karate team ....taught karate for a few years ....now he is 22 with many interests.
So it has nothing to do will wrapping them up just teach them right.

Mack
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the reason you can't explain is it makes no sence I was raised on a farm but we were taught not to be stupid......as far as my boy there was no need for bubble wrap he was not raised stupid either......played soccer...football ....got his black belt in Goju Ryu at 16 was o the CanAm Karate team ....taught karate for a few years ....now he is 22 with many interests.

So it has nothing to do will wrapping them up just teach them right.

Mack

Sounds like you raised him right! You should be proud then. Sounds like you where a friend when he needed it, a teacher when he needed it, the punisher when he needed it. Not many like you now a days. As for the farm thing farms kids have way better work ethic you tell them to do something and they do it. Most not all but most city kids you tell them they dilly along take for every whine the hole time and do a half azzed job.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
youngest in the boat is me at 21.

i think we are ok cause everyone is sitting.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Why delete? I learned that your not suppose to ride in the boat from your campsite to the launch. Was a good question.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 PM

Don't delete. Make everyone stand by their comments. (And spelling mistakes)
Old 08-05-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you raised him right! You should be proud then. Sounds like you where a friend when he needed it, a teacher when he needed it, the punisher when he needed it. Not many like you now a days. As for the farm thing farms kids have way better work ethic you tell them to do something and they do it. Most not all but most city kids you tell them they dilly along take for every whine the hole time and do a half azzed job.
Thank you ...I am proud not of what I did but of what he did. He is actually my stepson but we have been together since he was 1.could not love him anymore if he was my birth son. We have done a lot together white water kayaking, quading, fishing but he has accomplished so much on his own I was always there for advice or to listen and I still am but the final decision was his. He has the determination to succeed and will not quit till he dose. He was taught right from wrong good from Bad that's the best we can do I guess.

Mack