Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Default 377km road trip

So, The wife and I got up to go fishing as is normal for us every weekend now at lake wabamun at about 5am. Active thunderstorms all the way there and beyond the lake just in a narrow band kinda hugging the route the hwy follows. We park up and dont even bother to leave the car due to the bad weather. I quickly look to see what other lakes were nearby to the south of us and decide to drive to Buck Lake.

Took a quick look but as is usual for lakes here in alberta, shore fishing locations are very difficult to find. so we bailed on that lake and headed for pigeon lake. Ma Me O beach looked fairly good spot on the depth map, not so good when we got there and saw it was very shallow even 30 to 40ft from shore. people were only about waist deep there.

So I did a quick search on here for shore fishing spots at pigeon and found there is limited fishing from the boat launch at the P. Park. We went to take a look (already busy as it was about 11am when we reached pigeon lake). We rigged up our rods with a couple of floating jig heads with Powerbait Minnows (didnt bring real bait as wasnt planning on fishing for anything but pike, and the concessions at the PP only took cash). we were using 1oz weights on a 3way swivel to get the bait out far enough to be able to fish.

About 20 minutes into or stay, one asshat in a boat decided to come along close to us all and snag about 10 peoples lines, not funny or cool, next ass that does this is getting rocks thrown at them, there was plenty of room at the boat launch for the boats to not have to come so close to us.

We retied our lines and cast out again, about 5 mins later my wife hooked a fish. Jackpot our first walleye ever. we decided to stay until 1pm and then headed home. So, it just goes to show that even powerbait attracts fish to bite, even without being jigged
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkemper View Post
So, The wife and I got up to go fishing as is normal for us every weekend now at lake wabamun at about 5am. Active thunderstorms all the way there and beyond the lake just in a narrow band kinda hugging the route the hwy follows. We park up and dont even bother to leave the car due to the bad weather. I quickly look to see what other lakes were nearby to the south of us and decide to drive to Buck Lake.

Took a quick look but as is usual for lakes here in alberta, shore fishing locations are very difficult to find. so we bailed on that lake and headed for pigeon lake. Ma Me O beach looked fairly good spot on the depth map, not so good when we got there and saw it was very shallow even 30 to 40ft from shore. people were only about waist deep there.

So I did a quick search on here for shore fishing spots at pigeon and found there is limited fishing from the boat launch at the P. Park. We went to take a look (already busy as it was about 11am when we reached pigeon lake). We rigged up our rods with a couple of floating jig heads with Powerbait Minnows (didnt bring real bait as wasnt planning on fishing for anything but pike, and the concessions at the PP only took cash). we were using 1oz weights on a 3way swivel to get the bait out far enough to be able to fish.

About 20 minutes into or stay, one asshat in a boat decided to come along close to us all and snag about 10 peoples lines, not funny or cool, next ass that does this is getting rocks thrown at them, there was plenty of room at the boat launch for the boats to not have to come so close to us.

We retied our lines and cast out again, about 5 mins later my wife hooked a fish. Jackpot our first walleye ever. we decided to stay until 1pm and then headed home. So, it just goes to show that even powerbait attracts fish to bite, even without being jigged
Pigeon is a perfect lake for a first time walleye fisherman. Fish are plentiful, easy to find, easy to catch and pretty decent size.

You don't need bait at that lake at all - I have caught walleye on a plain jig head with no rubber tail or bait at all - when they are aggressive - I'm sure they would hit a plain lead weight in there.

Glad it worked out for you ( for the most part anyways).
Old 08-01-2015, 10:48 PM

So let me understand....you where fishing from the dock set up for the boat launch and some foolish guy decided to bring his boat in and did not wait for you guys to real in. Some people !
Old 08-01-2015, 11:10 PM

no we were fishing from the old dock from when the lake level was much higher. the new pontoons they installed were to our left. Its all about respecting each other. We were all fishing far enough away from the boat launch. why does everyone have to post negative comments? the foolish guy was the old asian guy keeping a walleye on a stringer through its gill even though he didnt have a tag, and was asking everyone there if they had a tag. Would have reported it if id have known earlier than when they were about to leave.