Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM

Either way, if YOU (the fisher person) don't feel safe, don't drive!! I'll drive on with 12-14" of ice easily (with a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton but that's my choice). BUT that's also after checking ice depths and knowing my comfort zone/weather in the area. The ice WILL crack regardless of how thick it is. Drove on 2'+ and it still cracks. Cracking is a good thing. It relieves pressure. THE KEY THING IS: know your ice and where you're driving. Not sure? Check it. Drive 10'. Check it again. Repeat.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovich12 View Post
Either way, if YOU (the fisher person) don't feel safe, don't drive!! I'll drive on with 12-14" of ice easily (with a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton but that's my choice). BUT that's also after checking ice depths and knowing my comfort zone/weather in the area. The ice WILL crack regardless of how thick it is. Drove on 2'+ and it still cracks. Cracking is a good thing. It relieves pressure. THE KEY THING IS: know your ice and where you're driving. Not sure? Check it. Drive 10'. Check it again. Repeat.
Great post,, as much as this thread is about getting onto the lakes, it is as much about education from us long time hardwater fishers to newbs to it and what to do and look for. If a hazard is noted on an expedition out there make a separate thread, and map the hazard if possible.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Jensen Res

Im wondering if anyone has been out there this week?? Planning a trip for sat evening. Ice should be nice and clear but im curious about the thickness?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Badger

Between 13"-16" on badger
Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Great post,, as much as this thread is about getting onto the lakes, it is as much about education from us long time hardwater fishers to newbs to it and what to do and look for. If a hazard is noted on an expedition out there make a separate thread, and map the hazard if possible.
Great idea, maybe we should have a seperate thread started called Hazards on lakes to be aware of
Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy View Post
Between 13"-16" on badger
Anyone driving on yet?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Any reports from Battle or South Buck?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKiller View Post
Anyone driving on yet?
I drove out there a little ways but only about 100 yds. Pretty sure I was the first one this year.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM

any update on Phyllis, burnstick, cow or others in the rocky area, lots of snow before the cold snap.

thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 AM

i posted about phyllis last week and it was more than fishable.. its good to go

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
went out phyllis lake yesterday fished the east side about 50 ft from shore in 20fow.. ice was about 7-8inch thick where we punched through however heard from another guy ice was only 1 inch thick out by the island so we stayed put and landed around 10 fish between the both of us..
Yup that's the spot lol, going out Saturday with quad and shanty.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Barrier Lake

Thinking about hiking across Barrier Lake this weekend and maybe do some skating on the lake. Couple people coming might ice fish. Have not been out there since last week of November. Was some water near the shorelines then.

Anyone know how thick the ice is or how deep the snow is?

Wondering if I need to rent snowshoes for people coming with.

Can check trail reports as well.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM

17" of ice at Travers where I was fishin today. More then enough to drive on for me! Just remember to always check before you drive on folks!! Happy fishing and stay safe!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Crawling Valley Res.

Crawling Valley Res.-- "14 of ice out on the WNW end of the lake… ( up duck lake road ) HEADS UP bring Good tires, a 4x4, a tow rope and a buddy with a truck to pull you out… the road in wasn't cleared all the way in … just past the gate the road was wind swept and about 3' deep drifts so we took to the hills!!!! still rough going got stuck once going in and twice leaving…. ) ( and no fish and my heater broke….lol…)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Crawling Valley Res.-- "14 of ice out on the WNW end of the lake… ( up duck lake road ) HEADS UP bring Good tires, a 4x4, a tow rope and a buddy with a truck to pull you out… the road in wasn't cleared all the way in … just past the gate the road was wind swept and about 3' deep drifts so we took to the hills!!!! still rough going got stuck once going in and twice leaving…. ) ( and no fish and my heater broke….lol…)
sounds like a normal day there

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 PM

South Buck is no good.... Drove out today and stepped about 10 feet out before my boots got wet. Granted I need to lose some pounds but.... Wab afterwards was good though.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebee View Post
South Buck is no good.... Drove out today and stepped about 10 feet out before my boots got wet. Granted I need to lose some pounds but.... Wab afterwards was good though.
How thick was the ice on Wab? is it still flooding?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
How thick was the ice on Wab? is it still flooding?
Yes !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebee View Post
Guess I won't be going to buck tomorrow like planned. How was wab?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

Went for a drive today and swung by Twin Valley. Nobody there but people were fishing it appears today, ice in their holes varied. really good ice from between 10 and 6 inches. There is a gigantic (100' x 100') wet patch straight out from the launch. Road going in was good, but I'd recommend NOT driving onto the ice, even if there was two feet of ice, deceptive drifts long and wide,, 2 inches of snow one minute then six inches and very wet and sticky, so if you have to dig yourself out later on start doing bench presses now.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned

wanted to mention, and go figure after this cold snap,,, the outflow from twin is not frozen for a good 300 yards, no ice , nuthin, nada. something to keep in mind if canals are your thing.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Default Coal Lake

Went to Coal today. North end, went about a mile south. 75 yards from shore.
9" clear ice 3' white ice where I drilled. Note the little road to parking area is nasty.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:08 PM

How's the ice looking around Lethbridge? Any one been out?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Hey all, the South side of Gull at the launch near Aspen is not good. 2 of us made it but I think we were stupid for trying. Flood water at shore, flood water also found throughout the bay in unexpected spots. Best bet is to get on at Brownlows instead since there was a ton of people there today. Should be beaten down and less chance of getting stuck. Just be wary once off the beaten path. Ice was 10-11 inches but also drilled some holes that were only 7 inches of ice.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 AM

Default travers

12 inches as of yesterday
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 AM

went out with a buddy this weekend, hit up DEVILS(east on 37) on friday, no fish (i blame this on being ill prepared - we wer planning on going to cardiff lol) ICE WAS 6-8 inchesprobly only 2 inhes of good black ice... in the places we travelled (right of boatlaunch along weedline)....

on saturday we went and hittup DOHLBERG... road in was non existant (we wer first tracks since fresh 1-2ft of snow it seemed).. was a verrrry hairy 'GLIDE' in 4x4 the whole way.. really glad i got a level kit for my truck lol... dont think i would of survived pushing an extra 2 inches of snow.... prettymuch after first farmers cattle gate there was 1.5-2ft of snow on road and no tracks (could see one set that turned around previous to the snow) but we made it in.... parked at top of hill, walked down - minmum 1.5 ft of snow on lake probly more like 2.5 alot of places... ice was good 8-10 inches probly 50/50 good n white, but there was 2-3 inches of floodwater and slush under the snow.... action was decent... only one other group showed up all day .... and ofcourse when we left, at 4:30 by the time we got thru the snow field, and back close to barrhead it was raining.... downright pouring.. that made for a very interesting and LONGGGGGGGG (i thinkgot home around 830-9) drive/skate home... and i was only passed by about 4-5 cars the entire time... LOL .....on the way home to EDM andddd then on sundayyyyy

hittup CROSS.. i only showed my face for 2 hrs but there was 6-8 inches of ice, again probly 50/50 good /bad... and only 4-8 inches of snow.. no flood water!!! it was an amazing change from hiking in the snow / slush previous day!!!! action was decent again, 3 keeper pike for my 2 friends who wer there before me!! biggest was 30 inches i believe (dont quote me on that)

what shocked me (i know perhaps the ice was different / can change in places) but there wer ATLEAST 2 cars driving / drove on.... one Truck like mine.. newer style Silverado (mine is extended cab and gvr on door says 8400 or 8600 lbs)... and one jeep liberty..... these 2 are either really brave or just trying to win that race..... The worst part is the truck drove out parked and then walked about the same distance from his truck as he parked from shore to fish.... lazy lazy lazy but i supppose atleast he didnt just start drilling holes all around him....
Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 AM

12+ inches of good ice at Clear lake (south) with a couple small trucks driving on at the launch. Fished by the rock peninsula from 2 :00 - 8:00 yesterday, caught 3 little pike between two of us with the biggest at maybe 30". Saw a couple on the camera but nothing of any size, water was not very clear and I could barely see my herring from 6 feet away.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 AM

fished burnstick yesterday morning on the east side ice was 8" of solid and 3 of white ice... also there must have been a big flood on ice near shore as i was drilling a hole and my auger dropped through about 3 inch's of water before hitting another solid 5-8 inchs of ice.. i wouldnt be driving on yet

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:19 AM

Default Jensen Res

Well, I was out on sat. Was about 10" of ice. The problem with ice where I was fishing, it looked like one side of the lake froze up, then broke apart and floated/drifted to the north end (where I was fishing). Nice clear ice but lots of chunks froze in it. I dont know how that would affect the ice quality but I would assume it to be weaker then nice solid ice. Close to shore was very white, But that coulda been from melted snow that froze I didnt punch holes close to shore.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 AM

One report of 10" on lac st anne, any updates? Floodwater? How's the fishing?

Thanks