Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM

I have been trying to catch a lake trout for some time now. I have been everywhere from 40-100+ feet of water. White tube jig and buck tail jigs with a steel leader but no luck. I've tried right off bottom and about 25 feet below the ice. Are there any "not so secret" spots that are producing? I've fished French bay and off Lund's point at the prov park. Not looking for a monster I just want my first laker! Help?? Tips??
Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Try using a fluorocarbon leader or monofilament, I like to start with it 6' long and will replace it when it gets less than 3'. The fish are always moving around the lake in search of food, some spots are known producers but not always a " for sure thing". Try changing colour and size of your tubes and other baits, what worked for somebody else yesterday in a particular spot might not today. 2 weeks ago 4 of us fished 5 hours and landed 2 fish, last weekend 6 of us landed over 100, yesterday, I couldn't buy a fish, that's fishing. I don't have a secret spot per say, but I move a lot until I find them on the Lowrance, get a map off of Anglers Atlas and fish them on steep contours or on adjacent flats, work the whole water column. Don't be afraid to ask others on the lake, but be respectful, park your vehicle 50' away and walk up to talk, you will find everyone very helpful for the most part.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Hey Murray ,were you the smart one with the truck camber ?
I was fishing just 200 yards west of you ....small world !

When is your next get Cold Lake gathering ?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory3006 View Post
Try using a fluorocarbon leader or monofilament, I like to start with it 6' long and will replace it when it gets less than 3'. The fish are always moving around the lake in search of food, some spots are known producers but not always a " for sure thing". Try changing colour and size of your tubes and other baits, what worked for somebody else yesterday in a particular spot might not today. 2 weeks ago 4 of us fished 5 hours and landed 2 fish, last weekend 6 of us landed over 100, yesterday, I couldn't buy a fish, that's fishing. I don't have a secret spot per say, but I move a lot until I find them on the Lowrance, get a map off of Anglers Atlas and fish them on steep contours or on adjacent flats, work the whole water column. Don't be afraid to ask others on the lake, but be respectful, park your vehicle 50' away and walk up to talk, you will find everyone very helpful for the most part.
Hey Cory ...I used to fish Cold lake for about 3 years and only caught one laker.
Then I pulled my cheep $100. sonar off my boat.
Average about 10 laker every time i go out on a good day.
Drive up from Edmonton almost every weekend to Cold lake ...Got Hooked !
Old 02-02-2015, 06:39 PM

I may be heading back up in a few weeks JR. Murray was in a hotel at night. You always seem to be fishing by me.

You should have come and said Hi.

A bunch of those vehicles aren't even a part of our group. We had 13 people and 9 tents set up. Some people were coming within 50 feet of us and setting up. Someone even called RAP about one guy filleting an undersized fish. Too bad it was my fish that he was doing and it was a legal 82cm laker.

There were probably 10 people way too close to us in that picture. I think we were the only ones catching too. You should have stopped by though. We had a turkey deep fry Saturday night and watched the oilers game on satellite. Too bad they forgot to play the 3rd period.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 PM

fluoro leaders really make a huge difference, and you really need to have a fish locating device. when i was up last week, i drilled my first hole in 140', put flasher down and there were already 4 fish just sitting there, drop bait and boom 27" first shot. just gotta have the patience but be mobile if they're not there.

don't be scared to go deeper than 100' as well. you can catch them in 40' to the deepest spots on the lake lol.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I may be heading back up in a few weeks JR. Murray was in a hotel at night. You always seem to be fishing by me.

You should have come and said Hi.

A bunch of those vehicles aren't even a part of our group. We had 13 people and 9 tents set up. Some people were coming within 50 feet of us and setting up. Someone even called RAP about one guy filleting an undersized fish. Too bad it was my fish that he was doing and it was a legal 82cm laker.

There were probably 10 people way too close to us in that picture. I think we were the only ones catching too. You should have stopped by though. We had a turkey deep fry Saturday night and watched the oilers game on satellite. Too bad they forgot to play the 3rd period.

Hey Willowtrail if I knew it was you guys I would have walked over.
About noon someone from your group started to walk over with a dog then turned around as someone might have said fish on. ha ha so close .

Fishing is going to be slow next few weeks ,hopfully it will pick up on the long weekend. Will you be sleeping on the ice again when you go out ?
You guys are tough !
Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 PM

That would have been Viral Overide. I was testing out some new lures I made, worked like a charm. Just saw the forecast for this weekend, won't be doing a trip with the low pressure.

I'll see about the long weekend, if I go, I'll most likely stay out but I may be on a solo mission. Not tough, just stupid, lol.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptflux View Post
fluoro leaders really make a huge difference, and you really need to have a fish locating device. when i was up last week, i drilled my first hole in 140', put flasher down and there were already 4 fish just sitting there, drop bait and boom 27" first shot. just gotta have the patience but be mobile if they're not there.

don't be scared to go deeper than 100' as well. you can catch them in 40' to the deepest spots on the lake lol.

Funny you mention the floro. I had one of my rigs set up with a floro leader and the other just straight braid line to the hook. I caught more on the straight braid setup than the floro. On that particular day anyway...
Old 02-04-2015, 05:22 PM

Went this morning, arrived on the ice at 7:00 am we tried 3 different spots 70ft
80ft and 90 ft had 2 on and 3 more hits... It has been slow every time I have went to Cold Lake this year.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 PM

always use floro for lakers! Action was hot on saturday and tapered off drastically through tuesday. Deepest fish caught came out of 150'.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Funny you mention the floro. I had one of my rigs set up with a floro leader and the other just straight braid line to the hook. I caught more on the straight braid setup than the floro. On that particular day anyway...
I've had days like that too, but I find on the clearer days the fluoro helps. I'll use straight braid (green) at night or prior to the sun coming up.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Heard of a snow alert for Cold lake this weekend.
Going to be tough going with out a sled.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Heard of a snow alert for Cold lake this weekend.
Going to be tough going with out a sled.
No way!!! It's to windy. I'll bet Most of the snow will have blown away.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
No way!!! It's to windy. I'll bet Most of the snow will have blown away.
Good to to hear Splakeo. Aways look forward to reading your posts.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Gone Fishing

JR we need to fish again, join our motley crew of fish-o-holics.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Will be there on the 12-13! First trip of the year! Cant wait!
Old 02-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
JR we need to fish again, join our motley crew of fish-o-holics.
Sounds like a good group Rumtan !
I am a closet fish-o-holic ( fish away from large groups)
But keep me posted so I can stop in and say hi .
Old 02-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Fishing pretty slow today boys 1 under sized laker so far with 2 others on, seeing a few on the flasher just not in the biting mood I guess. Not all that much snow on the lake, I seen a mini van on the ice this morning. Anyone else having any luck?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild times View Post
Fishing pretty slow today boys 1 under sized laker so far with 2 others on, seeing a few on the flasher just not in the biting mood I guess. Not all that much snow on the lake, I seen a mini van on the ice this morning. Anyone else having any luck?
Wind from the East fish bit least.

Had two on, lost both of them. Lots following but not hitting.

JR I was right. The snow blew away
Old 02-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Got 6 today. Pure luck dont know much about ice fishing this lake so I just kept moving untill I started to catch. I was not fishing the same way as every one else that is why I got a few.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 PM

My buddy Steve and I are fishing Cold Lake this weekend. We each got a trout today which were under. One at 67" and the other around 65". The ice is 21". It was pretty cold today especially with the wind. Saw lots on the flasher but could not get them to bite or chase. I might try higher up tomorrow. Thanks a lot Scott (Willowtrail) for taking the time throughout the day to provide me tips. Hopefully they will pay off better tomorrow.

Last edited by OuttKastt; 02-07-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:31 PM

Nice work with 6 fish any keepers? We ended up with 3 and had 4 others on no keepers though. 1 day left before the trip is over, sure hope the fish go crazy tomorrow!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild times View Post
Nice work with 6 fish any keepers? We ended up with 3 and had 4 others on no keepers though. 1 day left before the trip is over, sure hope the fish go crazy tomorrow!
Were you fishing off the bottom and how many feet of water were you in. What hooks and bait did you find was the most productive? We also finish up tomorrow. Good luck?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:00 AM

Fishing in 40 to 80 feet, using a little bit of everything mostly tubes though and ya jigging it right off bottom they were hitting it. How about yourself? Good luck today!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:54 PM

67 inches is one Heck of a Laker ....😊😒
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker666 View Post
67 inches is one Heck of a Laker ....😊😒
Oops.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 PM

Drove up on Friday til mid day Sunday. Super cold and strong east wind. Few fish Friday one just legal. Few more Saturday nothing big. Weather turned better Sunday. Fish on first line down. Were able to get out of the shack and prospect. Fish turned on around 11 - 2 on a steep drop from 125 - 140. Got a 19lb at 125 and a 15.5 back to back. Lots of bait around and were following them down. Got both big guys just off bottom. Our first time there. Had a good bath map and gps app to locate good structure and move around if you can. Didn't fish below 90' and up to 140'.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM

anybody mind sharing the current ice conditions?

first time coming to cold lake this year, will be there Saturday and Monday...trucks driving around alright? any spots to avoid?

are there any tackle shops in Cold Lake? we didn't find anything except Canadian tire and walmart last year

thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
anybody mind sharing the current ice conditions?

first time coming to cold lake this year, will be there Saturday and Monday...trucks driving around alright? any spots to avoid?

are there any tackle shops in Cold Lake? we didn't find anything except Canadian tire and walmart last year

thanks
place called Exsile Sports up there, information as follows:

5212 55 Street Cold Lake, AB T9M 1R3
(780) 594-2538

Mind you, the CanTire's fishing section up there is pretty good at times.