Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Mature Bull Moose

Looking for some insight from you veteran Moose hunters out there who have had success harvesting big mature bulls. I finally pulled a tag in a high priority foothills zone that I am very familiar with. Over the years of scouting out this zone I have seen some great bulls but the encounters are random and those big guys just seem to be where there are at that moment. We have never had a problem filling our tags during calling season in other lower priority zones but the bulls we have called in/killed all seem to be in that 1.5yr - 3.5yr age range.

My question is, what should I consider when it comes to locating big mature bulls during the rut? Is it habitat, accessibility, prime food sources where cows would frequent or is it just going to be a matter of covering a ton of ground, calling and hoping to stumble upon that big guy?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM

When I drew a tag a few years ago in a high priority zone I just had it in my head of what I was looking for. I had planned to pass up a ton of bulls and savor the tag. In the end, I shot the second bull I saw as it had big paddles, good width and lots of points. I had prayed for a bull with his fronts filled in between them and the paddles and when I saw that it was over. I was looking for 50" plus and he made it and some so I was super happy. I think it's more about knowing what you want and taking your time to evaluate. The foothills zones often provide such with the rolling topography and long sight lines. My bull was with a cow probably in her second estrous cycle in late Oct. so think some of the mature bulls will still be chasing cows. I have also seen them bunch up in bachelor groups in early November for protection as well. good luck with the tag.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:58 AM

find the cows and you will find the big bulls during the rut...
The more time spent out there hiking, glassing, exploring etc will be better time spent then searching on the web. You say you know the zone well and have seen good bulls in the past so that tells me that you are in the right place, it will be just a matter of time before you encounter what youre looking for. Keep at it and you will be rewarded.
Shoot straight.
SS
Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM

If there is private land around that your hunting the landowners tend to know where the moose hang around and break things...
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM

I have a map with the B & C Bull moose marked on it for last 70 Years. If you PM your WMU I will direct you to nearest areas where the Big Boys have been taken.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I have a map with the B & C Bull moose marked on it for last 70 Years. If you PM your WMU I will direct you to nearest areas where the Big Boys have been taken.
Thanks very much! pm sent.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Default B&C moose

CLM, I got a request for Big Boy moose locations from another hunter, but did not receive your request??
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Big bulls can take their time coming. Sometimes won't make a peep either. Just come in and look. Don't shoot the small ones or you'll never shoot the big ones my dad always said. And he was rite. Just stay at it and your going to get him.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
And THIS^^ is why when I kill my Booner WT I will not tell the truth about where it was killed.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cows....find the cows....bulls don't give a ratz azz about anything else...hang out in the right area.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-22-2018, 09:40 AM

West 05, do not worry. "I always teach a man to Fish, never give him a Fish or he will be hungry again" I will only provide enough information to get him started, not tie up a moose for him.