Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I think a better summation would be that there are inconsistencies in the way the law is enforced, and that there are also inconsistencies in what individual F&W officers look for in flattened barbs. .
Fortunately life isn't fair... law enforcement is not done the same by all peace officers and sentencing is not consistant from all Judges and different courts look at crime differently, right or wrong...

A violator in High Prairie receives a $25000 fine in a High Prairie court for keeping walleye, his partner appears in Calgary and for the same offence and same circumstances receives $400.00...

Inconsistancy is the spice of life is it not? We need to do like Big said... then we will all be consistant and there will be no room for interpretation.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I dont know the more and more I read this thread makes me wonder , thats theres definitely gotta be more to the story . Man I fish ALot Ask anyone who knows me . I get checked id say on average 10 to 40 times a year , maybe more . Ive never had a problem with pinched hooks , As I always use forceps to pinch the barb , but even in times Ive fished with someone that it might not quite be up to par , They even dont go straight for the fine . Unless you became balegerant , or rude or something else to the story , Fish and Wildlife officer Chances are they are going to say Look this is how you need to have your barbs . I dont think I believe this story . Maybe a little more to the story then whats been shared.
valve god
maybe he did not like the fact when he pulled up to us I said good afternoon mr. fish and wildlife officer I don't know.( was in plain clothes) Maybe he was the officer that I had a heated disscusion about me hunting with my wife who is status indian, I think so. I may not get checked 10-40 times in a year but the other times which have been maybe 5 a year I had no problems.
The point I was trying to make is the was to let people know he was out there looking and to make sure they are following the law. The regs should state REMOVE BARB COMPLETLY then there will be no room for mistake.
I am polite to all law enforcement until they become rude to me. I have worked beside these men for years and respect them and the job they have to do. But this is only my opinion
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve god View Post
to let people know he was out there looking and to make sure they are following the law.
Valve God, I am sorry I stirred up so much loon sh*t on this, I am sure that you were very polite and are each time you interact with an officer.

I guess I wounder why people would have to be told an officer was out looking... is that what is necessary for fishermen to want to following the law?

But I thank you for the reminder nonetheless...

Last edited by curious; 01-19-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve god View Post
valve god
maybe he did not like the fact when he pulled up to us I said good afternoon mr. fish and wildlife officer I don't know.( was in plain clothes) Maybe he was the officer that I had a heated disscusion about me hunting with my wife who is status indian, I think so. I may not get checked 10-40 times in a year but the other times which have been maybe 5 a year I had no problems.
The point I was trying to make is the was to let people know he was out there looking and to make sure they are following the law. The regs should state REMOVE BARB COMPLETLY then there will be no room for mistake.
I am polite to all law enforcement until they become rude to me. I have worked beside these men for years and respect them and the job they have to do. But this is only my opinion
Humm Sounds like an Undercover Fish And Wildlife officer .

Well then if thats the Case Id be Going to court to fight the ticket .

The Regulations say

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (Click here for definition of barbless hook.)

The definition of Barbless Hook – includes a hook the barbs of which are pressed against the shaft of the hook so that the barbs are not functional .

And now if you Have done so , Fight it . There are so many Inconsistency's with what might be interpreted to as '' BARBLESS'' . I hope things get Squared away .
Old 01-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Valve God, I am sorry I stirred up so much loon sh*t on this, I am sure that you were very polite and are each time you interact with an officer.

I guess I wounder why people would have to be told an officer was out looking... is that what is necessary for fishermen to want to following the law?

But I thank you for the reminder nonetheless...
Man, this thread sure was your coming-out party, wasn't it? I'm curious now though... how come so active on this thread and yet no comments on any other thread, ever? In fact you just showed up the day after this thread appeared. If I was a more suscpicious person I'd think....
Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Man, this thread sure was your coming-out party, wasn't it? I'm curious now though... how come so active on this thread and yet no comments on any other thread, ever? In fact you just showed up the day after this thread appeared. If I was a more suscpicious person I'd think....
A guy has to make a mark sometime... I've been reading the threads for a few months now and thought this one was pretty interesting. Nothing to be suscpicious of, WFN had a show where the host was talking about sharpening the hooks and barbs, then he put a live minnow on the hook before chucking it into the water... seemed odd to me. Commenting here just seemed a little timely, especially after getting checked last weekend and my hooks were checked. Maybe I will keep my keyboard to myself for a while...

Its been fun!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Are you threatening to leave again? Whatever would we do......
Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
Are you threatening to leave again? Whatever would we do......
Not leaving... just recovering. I will be back! With Avengance!!! LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
A guy has to make a mark sometime... I've been reading the threads for a few months now and thought this one was pretty interesting. Nothing to be suscpicious of, WFN had a show where the host was talking about sharpening the hooks and barbs, then he put a live minnow on the hook before chucking it into the water... seemed odd to me. Commenting here just seemed a little timely, especially after getting checked last weekend and my hooks were checked. Maybe I will keep my keyboard to myself for a while...

Its been fun!
Surprised you didnt comment on this exact topic last time it was going on, it wasnt very long ago. pretty much all the same posts and Id be careful calling Fish Cops dumb, Im pretty sure they need a good education to get where they are. The whole point of this thread, and the last, and the one before, is that there needs to be a specific way to determine if a hook is indeed barbless, not left up to the specific officer to determine as he sees fit that particular day. One way equally enforced by all, regardless of mood or circumstances, you fail, you pay the fine. no questions asked. A law left up to someones interpretation or discretion is not a law, its a suggestion.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
in order that the next generation has a fish to catch...
Well me grand pappy kept all his fish and so did the other grand pappys before him ,and we still have fish today .
Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm a Game Warden and an avid angler. Manitoba has been completely barbless since the early 1990s. It is illegal to have a barbed hook attached to a line or to use a barbed hook while angling.

Pinched, broken, filed or left over nub, a hook is either barbed or it isn't. It is obvious when someone has made an effort to "debarb" their hook. If the hook could have been "debarbed" better then it's good enforcement to get the angler to pinch it better. No ticket necessary.

I can tell you that I've checked thousands of anglers since the early 90s. Everyone knows that MB is barbless yet there are still many who cut their lines when they see us coming. In my District we can easily write at least 1 barbed hook ticket per day.

My kids have never fished with barbed hooks yet they catch trophy walleyes, sturgeon, catfish and gators. There are no excuses for using barbed hooks in barbless jurisdictions. In fact barbless hooks are so user friendly that I have never understood why any jurisdiction would still use barbed hooks. Nobody goes to the hospital to get barbless hooks removed from various body parts in MB.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Nope and traffic ticket fines don't pay all the police costs either but they certainly don't hurt the cause. Regardless I know a cop who was suspended for refusing to cater to the unwritten quota's. I'm not saying its a goldmine or scam but there is certainly pressure to reach certain "goals". Pressure to make some targets would explain more aggressive F&W tactics.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Well me grand pappy kept all his fish and so did the other grand pappys before him ,and we still have fish today .
WHAT???? You can not seriously think that??? What planet have you been on??? Guys help out here before I say something to get me into trouble!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

All this debate over the best way to keep a worm from wriggling off the hook?
I get the feeling that the F&W guy has demonstrated that he, unlike a bunch of you, can make a mistake in his work. Get over yourself and try a little self discipline.
BTW. When I moved to Saskatchewan earlier this year I did not rush out and replace all the lures in my substantial collection with barbed hooks. My success rate at landing hooked fished has not diminished and I don't worry about this matter when I am either fishing in another jurisdiction (MB & AB) or at a trophy trout lake in this province. However, when I travel to B.C. I have to replace all the trebles with singles and that costs a little more than a wee amount of effort to mash a barb, which I am still doing. Typically I carry a permit for the three most western provinces but this year I did not purchase an off-shore for BC so I went fishing in MB instead.
Seems to me that the reason that Alberta F&W officers are now armed is the belligerence and hostility that they have endured over the years, including threats to their lives when they encounter poachers, some of whom are also armed.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
WHAT???? You can not seriously think that??? What planet have you been on??? Guys help out here before I say something to get me into trouble!!!
Well Curious I am with you on this one. Fished with my dad for years and never forgot one thing he said " If you take every fish you catch whats left for your childern and your grand childern" Kinda makes sense to me.....
Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Lol good thread... my question is this....
There is all this talk about where you can get a few barbless hooks right? So if the law went barbless years ago why are there only a few? The only way you can use barbed hooks is to own a private water body... So why are the shelves still stocked to the 9's with barbed hooks? Why... because its more profitable (and easy)to give the common guy a $200 ticket than it is to take on a name brand box store into bringing new fishing gear...
Do i think it f&w's fault.....nope...what about the guy fishing with his barbs not pinched enough....nope
I blame wallmart and cambodian tire!
Also if the government does not like their income from barbed hooks they would be putting more pressure on retailers to bring in legal fishin gear!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Wow, ur still here. after insulting, well, pretty much everyone...I throw my boot at u. Shoo Shoo U. U offer nothing useful here so again I plead...Go away. Maybe come back after ur al gwown up.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Default Wow!!!

Guys I was out at Isle on the weekend too and I was also checked. In fact I was checked by the uniformed officer who then stayed to shoot the bull for a few minutes wherein he stated that barbed hooks have been a problem at that lake for a couple of years. 45 minutes go by and an undercover officer shows up and talks for a while, his partner comes by 10 minutes later and they both state the same thing as the first. First off I would like to say that, although thorough, all the officers were well mannered. I believe that they may have handed out a couple of tickets to make a point that may not be getting made in the area. Also I have always used the pinch and twist method of de-barbing and have never had a problem with F&W nor has it affected my loss rate. I personally can't believe that after seven years people are still not compliing with the law.

P.S. If it was pinched, fight it! it's your responsibility hold officers to the regs.
P.P.S. If the Officer didn't hang on to your lure or does not show up you win.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Wow, ur still here. after insulting, well, pretty much everyone...I throw my boot at u. Shoo Shoo U. U offer nothing useful here so again I plead...Go away. Maybe come back after ur al gwown up.
Profound and inpiring... I will be happy to stay just to ensure you have something else to complain about!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Sorry for bumping this but noobs like me might find this tread very informative.

I actually notice the info on the regs. However, I made the wrong assumption of thinking that store bought hooks were all legal.

Anyways, to my surprise all my hooks are illegal, even though I bought them recently. The good thing is that I know how to fix them now.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM

bass pro shop in cross iron mall has some barbless hooks, just if anyone wants to know
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM

I'm definitely new to the concept of pinching barbs. However I wouldn't file them down or dremel them because heat causes metal to soften and weaken overall . You might as well just start throwing plastic hooks at that point ...

The barbless law kinda needs to go imo , especially if its causing this much trouble . No one is happy to pinch barbs on their $20 plugs . Besides the fact , i think if theres a problem with fish mortality is because people lack the ability to properly handle fish or carry the proper tools to remove hooks and deep hooks.

And i have another bone to pick at this point which is your size slot for keeping fish. I have never heard of allowing bigger fish to be kept as a "good" idea...

Walleye over 50 cm ? how bout the exact opposite with a minimum. Leave your big fish to spawn and produce numbers and successors , let the mid sized fish be dinner ....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 PM

I really think they should stop selling hooks with barbs in Alberta completely or start carrying barbless hooks on all lures/rigs throughout 90% in all store throughout the province. 90% only because I'm sure there's people who will argue they want to buy a lure/rig that will be used outside of AB. Otherwise I would suggest 100%.

That will help eliminate/lower the chances of anyone forgetting or just don't know its a law and end up getting a ticket.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 PM

I agree , don't allow the sale of barbed hooks in the first place.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 AM

we are way way too small a market for that to happen anytime soon.... Call normark they will tell you to buy some pliers and pinch them yourself
Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
we are way way too small a market for that to happen anytime soon.... Call normark they will tell you to buy some pliers and pinch them yourself
Agreed. Yes we may be a minority but an educated and intellegent minority. As a business man, I could not imagine producing and selling barbless hooks until the majority of North America demanded them. A company would have to charge more for barbless hooks and the public would choose to de-barb them themselves; and yes I know there are a few barbless hooks on the market.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 AM

barbless hooks on the shelf are also more money, because of production runs. pliers are cheap. if you make stores carry both options on each lure the store will be huge.
alberta is a small market..heck canada is a small market
Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 AM

Haha funny Chub. Posted at the same time. Is there an echo in here?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 AM

p.s. please dont say all hooks should be barbless and the rest of the world should have to add barbs
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Haha funny Chub. Posted at the same time. Is there an echo in here?

im older...delete yours buddy.lol