Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Panic Mode !!!!

Well .... as usual , I'm way late in trying to get organized for chasing bugle lips.
Trying to get my new bow tuned and did the foot powder thing to check for fletch contact.
I have some contact with the bottom right fletch ( cock up ) It looks like it's on the rest and not the cable.
Then I paper tuned @ 6' and it was pretty near perfect for arrow flight.
Do I worry about that contact ?
I'm thinking it may affect arrow flight at longer distances or with broadhead's , but wouldn't that be evident with the paper tune ?

I'm using a QAD hunter drop-away rest.

Any thopughts ?

Thanks.
M.G.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Have you tried shooting at 20, 30 and 40yds? How does it shoot If you haven't why worry antil you do may be a mute point
Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Actually I haven't shot it past 10 yrds.
I'm just trying to make sure there's no issue's when I get out and start shootin'
I'm gonna hopefully fling some arrow's this weekend and see how it go's.

Thx..
Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM

If its paper tuning fine and your still worried about it you may also try differnt fletch. I just finished helping a guy tune his bow and for the damn we couldn't get it to tune until I gave him one of my arrows with a low profile fletch and it solved everything. Maybe look at trying the Quickspins that are low profile. If that works and your still shooting bullet holes when you paper tune it and not getting any fletch contact you should be good to go. Also you may want to check to make sure that the cord attached to your cable is is not too tight cause that may cause your rest not to drop in time.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Shoot it at the longer distances before you go and start changing a bunch of things. If your hitting your spots at the longer yrds, your fletching contact means nothing. Just remember, guys who use whisker biskits have 100% fletching contact...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Shoot it at the longer distances before you go and start changing a bunch of things. If your hitting your spots at the longer yrds, your fletching contact means nothing. Just remember, guys who use whisker biskits have 100% fletching contact...
Yes on the W.B.'s but with them the contact is equal so it doesn't cause arrow kick , just slows em' down a few fps. I used one on my last bow and really liked how it shot , but it had an appetite for fletches that I couldn't appease.
I'll try some 20 & 30 yard shooting and she how it works.

Thx..
Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftiesarebetter View Post
If its paper tuning fine and your still worried about it you may also try differnt fletch. I just finished helping a guy tune his bow and for the damn we couldn't get it to tune until I gave him one of my arrows with a low profile fletch and it solved everything. Maybe look at trying the Quickspins that are low profile. If that works and your still shooting bullet holes when you paper tune it and not getting any fletch contact you should be good to go. Also you may want to check to make sure that the cord attached to your cable is is not too tight cause that may cause your rest not to drop in time.
I'm using duravanes and their fairly low profile. I wanted to try blazers but their definitely out of the question as I hardly clear the cable ( Diamond Black Ice ) with the duravanes.
In the off season I'm going to probably change the cable slide , get a better rest and try the blazers.

I'll double check the cable...I hope it's not too tight as the guy who put it on didn't leave any tail to lengthen it. Could maybe move it up to gain a little slack.

Thx..
Old 08-22-2008, 03:38 PM

I don't know if you shoot cock up or down but I think the QAD is suppose to be cock up!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM

Put a whisker biscuit back on er, shoot spitfires and never worry about the thing again.
Shot my bow tonight and the thing is nerver off. You should of stuck with the Mathews bro!!!