Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 PM
Banned

Idk if anyone is following that Twitter account linked earlier but check out this huge line up into what appears to be a medical center.

https://twitter.com/NoticiasVirus/st...739383810?s=20

Hope that link works. Video in said tweet.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
No sorry, it's directed at WhitetailAb. Throw Raab in there too...

Biggest issue with that style mask is making sure it's fitting tight...
Cheers!
Old 01-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This is what I’m talking about. Informative, and not sensationalized https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2000929
From your own link:

We currently do not know where 2019-nCoV falls on the scale of human-to-human transmissibility. But it is safe to assume that*if this virus transmits efficiently, its seemingly lower pathogenicity as compared with SARS, possibly combined with super-spreader events in specific cases, could allow large-scale spread. In this manner, a virus that poses a low health threat on the individual level can pose a high risk on the population level, with the potential to cause disruptions of global public health systems and economic losses. This possibility warrants the current aggressive response aimed at tracing and diagnosing every infected patient and thereby breaking the transmission chain of 2019-nCoV.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:46 PM

I don't know if you had seen this yet Bloop

Coronavirus mortality rate 3%
Influenze mortality rate .015%

200 times more deadly

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-25-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
From your own link:

We currently do not know where 2019-nCoV falls on the scale of human-to-human transmissibility. But it is safe to assume that*if this virus transmits efficiently, its seemingly lower pathogenicity as compared with SARS, possibly combined with super-spreader events in specific cases, could allow large-scale spread. In this manner, a virus that poses a low health threat on the individual level can pose a high risk on the population level, with the potential to cause disruptions of global public health systems and economic losses. This possibility warrants the current aggressive response aimed at tracing and diagnosing every infected patient and thereby breaking the transmission chain of 2019-nCoV.
My point is, we don’t know exactly what we’re dealing with yet and you have people all worked up on here. If people want to prepare for it go ahead. But if this virus is super bad, it won’t matter how well you prepare your most likely going to get it anyways.

Another good article to read and start understanding what we’re dealing with here. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
My point is, we don’t know exactly what we’re dealing with yet and you have people all worked up on here. If people want to prepare for it go ahead. But if this virus is super bad, it won’t matter how well you prepare your most likely going to get it anyways.

Another good article to read and start understanding what we’re dealing with here. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext
I just read the same article.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I just read the same article.
Yea, it’s not looking good. But such a small sample size hard to take anything out of it. Still lots to learn. We need to know how it’s spread, and how aggressive it is. Numbers could also be much higher for those infected but not needing hospitalization. Will be interesting to see how the next two weeks go.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-25-2020, 09:18 PM

With many hospitals in Canada already essentially running at capacity, how are they going to deal with potentially thousands of people infected with this thing, if it gets as bad as it looks like it can?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsweptcoast View Post
With many hospitals in Canada already essentially running at capacity, how are they going to deal with potentially thousands of people infected with this thing, if it gets as bad as it looks like it can?
Don't. Get. Sick.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I've been tempted to just abandon this thread. I am following this outbreak closely, and might know a little bit about what I'm saying. Another member has Pm'd me with the same, and I appreciate it. I don't appreciate being picked apart by a few, and normally would just go on a time out for a bit. I have nothing to gain by sharing my educated opinion. Only reason I'm still involved, is how serious I feel this is, just from preliminary information.
Please don’t stop bloop. Everyone (well likely 99%) watching this thread are watching what you are saying. The others, not so much. Please keep it up.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 PM

No use panicking tell it gets here and the death toll is very high,so far 3.5 percent death rate so 96.5 survival rate.Yes it could get worst or slow down,no one knows for sure, if you do have all the answers give me all lotto ticket numbers for next week so I can at least buy a better coffin when I die from this flu

Some may have it and show little sign while others get really sick like H1N1 my brother got it and was just very week ,but my sister had a rough ride but made it.

To start counting numbers and multiplying deaths that you have no real clue about is nonsense ,nothing wrong with being prepared and having supplies to lay low for a while.I got a case of beans and plenty of water.The beans are to keep others away,a good fart is not an invitation to most.

This is and open site so to scare someone who may suffer from some kinda metal illness like paranoia , is not a cool thing to do ,if your that scared call a doctor or seek help.

In the winter our houses are dry so drink an extra few bottles or glasses of water per day,it's good to hydrate and dehydrate helps cleanse your body and keep your mind sharp, more mistakes are made when our systems are low in water.

Were all going to dye so whatever way it comes not one of us gets to choose unless your suicidal .

Get out go fishing enjoy the fresh air and keep your powder dry.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 01-25-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 PM
Banned

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/sta...031177728?s=20
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Which one if those people is you and which is raab?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Which one if those people is you and which is raab?
I'm the Chinese man wearing the plaid. No mask needed.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I'm the Chinese man wearing the plaid. No mask needed.
Darwin had a theory.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:33 PM

11:30 am Jan 26

Guangzhou, S. China's Guangdong Province, has shut swimming pools, hot spring bath houses and gyms, and suspended exhibitions and all large-scale economic and trade activities to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus.

They sure are taking it seriously. Depending on what they mean by “large-scale economic and trade activities”, the economic toll of this will be pretty significant and not only China.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
11:30 am Jan 26

Guangzhou, S. China's Guangdong Province, has shut swimming pools, hot spring bath houses and gyms, and suspended exhibitions and all large-scale economic and trade activities to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus.

They sure are taking it seriously. Depending on what they mean by “large-scale economic and trade activities”, the economic toll of this will be pretty significant and not only China.
I am sure the stock market numbers will look great Monday morning
Old 01-25-2020, 11:16 PM

Paranoia or not, the hoatding and gouging has started. N95 masks that sell 5/$20 regular are now $20 a piece on Amazon. Was with a friend to pick up her diabetes medicine today and was chatting with pharmacist. They are sold out of masks and he was told the shipment scheduled to come on Monday nights truck has been pushed back to late February.

Whether anything comes of this I have no idea. But some people some where are apparently thinking it will.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
I am sure the stock market numbers will look great Monday morning
It may sound terrible but there are some opportunities due to this event. These black swans don’t happen that often but the SARS event is very similar. It offers an idea of how it may affect markets over the next little while from an investment perspective. Some huge moves already have occurred. We’ve probably knocked a few bucks off oil already. Some stock involved in vaccines etc have made large moves. Tomorrow afternoon will be interesting when things get going. Get an idea of what the week ahead may be like anyway.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Darwin had a theory.
He sure did.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:11 AM

1 confirmed in Toronto I saw last night. Starting to get closer to home. I always said the Chinese would kill us all one way or the other.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:22 AM

Another case in California confirmed. It has now been confirmed in China, France, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Macau, Nepal, Taiwan, Vietnam, Australia, Canada, United States.

China's health minister just released a statement that the incubation period can range from 1 to 14 days, and that they found the virus is infectious during the incubation period, which was not the case with SARS. They also said it appears the virus transmission ability is getting stronger.
Not looking good....

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-26-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
1 confirmed in Toronto I saw last night. Starting to get closer to home. I always said the Chinese would kill us all one way or the other.
That person was on a flight of 300+ from China on Jan 22 . The flight was 13 hours
Old 01-26-2020, 06:43 AM

Jeeze, I lived through SARS, Bird Flue, H1N1, mad cow disease, I never wore a helmet on my bike when I was a kid and my parents smoked in the car with us in it, rolled a truck on hwy 63 once and I also survived a hang nail not too long ago. Is this it? Could this be the one??? I’m surprised I’m here to even type this as I’m pretty sure we were heading to world war 3 a couple weeks ago....
Old 01-26-2020, 06:54 AM

I think that we need to send our PM to China, to look into this further. He should take his cabinet with him, and they should spend a couple of weeks observing the situation first hand.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I think that we need to send our PM to China, to look into this further. He should take his cabinet with him, and they should spend a couple of weeks observing the situation first hand.
I second this. If anyone should do a thorough investigation it’s Captain Poutine Leader of the Douche Canoe Party...
Old 01-26-2020, 07:36 AM

I am actually surprised that our government hasn't imposed a corona virus tax.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:53 AM

What should we do.
The problem with not feeling well and going to the hospital is now you are exposed to all the sick there.
What should we do right now.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:12 AM

China (as seen in a bbc article) is now saying the virus spreads during the up to 14 day incubation period when symptoms are not showing. Not good. With all of the flights to now cat is out of the bag. Pray this is mild in strength.