Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Opinions on brass cleaning tool

The last piece of the reloading room is the brass cleaner. I've been looking at the lyman pro 1200 but am interested in other opinions as well. Looking for a quality product that will last. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Banned

I’ll sell you one
Or get the stainless steel media tumbler
Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 PM

Default brass cleaning

Thumlers Tumbler B with stainless steel pins. Brass comes out like new and primer pockets are spotless.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Thumlers Tumbler B with stainless steel pins. Brass comes out like new and primer pockets are spotless.
X2 I bought a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler Kit two years ago on a Black Friday Sale I think, for under 150 Canadian. Those cases sparkle inside and out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
The last piece of the reloading room is the brass cleaner. I've been looking at the lyman pro 1200 but am interested in other opinions as well. Looking for a quality product that will last. Thoughts?

I own a Lyman Pro 2000 and it works very well. Together with the sifter pan and a bowl to catch the media, I don't need anything else.

I haven't worn my out yet so I don't know how long it will last. The price is right.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Banned

I do both. Stainless steel tumbling to clean up brass that's been around awhile, very dirty and tarnished, etc. prior to resizing.

Then it's just a quick session through the vibrating unit with walnut shells after sizing to put a nice finish shine (use nufinish wax with the walnut) on the brass before reloading.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Default Brass Cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
\\

X2

I have used the Thumlers Tumbler B for approx 40 years, give or take a few months. My wife and I both shot pistol competitions for many years (approx 25,000 rounds a year) so it has seen plenty of use. I have replaced 3 or 4 belts but other than that it is original and working as good as the day I bought it.
I have not tried the stainless steel pins yet, just corn cob media.

From what I see advertised the vibratory tumblers appear to clean faster but then they don't have the option of switching to wet media if desired.

Phil
Old 01-05-2019, 10:26 PM

Wipe the lube off your cases with a rag and load em up i use dry lube on the necks now and don’t clean the inside
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Thanks all!
I think I'm going with the lyman but the frankford and tumbler styles look pretty good.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Im all about the ultrasonic, getting corn cob, walnut or pins out of brass is for the birds. Every now and then I get the foolish idea to tumble some brass, and shortly after remember why i dont do it anymore. My only regret is i didnt buy an ultrasonic big enough to fit a whole ar15 upper reciever in.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper