Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Default Humminbird / Down Imaging?

The down imaging looks really cool and should catch lots of anglers

As cool as it looks I have been all over the WWW looking at info and I have yet to see any fish in the down imaging mode? So, I am asking anyone on the forum who has down imaging if you can mark fish with it, or is it for structure only?

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

You can mark fish with it as well, but I find it much better for high detail structure viewing.
just google humminbird down imaging....under images there are lots
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM

I looked threw the images after doing the Google search and I saw one that had white blotches. Not sure if they were suspended fish? My current Humminbird is old school but seeing the arches nice and clear is easy reading.

The reason I'm bringing it up is Bass Pro has a unit with down imaging at a great price. My thinking is Alberta lakes and reservoirs - how much actual structure is there to look at? Lake slopes deeper and has weeds, now it's getting shallow.

bobalong - are you happy with the performance for fishing ? Is the down imaging a benefit?

Thanks for your comments.

Dodger.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I looked threw the images after doing the Google search and I saw one that had white blotches. Not sure if they were suspended fish? My current Humminbird is old school but seeing the arches nice and clear is easy reading.

The reason I'm bringing it up is Bass Pro has a unit with down imaging at a great price. My thinking is Alberta lakes and reservoirs - how much actual structure is there to look at? Lake slopes deeper and has weeds, now it's getting shallow.

bobalong - are you happy with the performance for fishing ? Is the down imaging a benefit?

Thanks for your comments.

Dodger.
I am happy with it, but I still prefer the standard setting for marking fish... for now. Imaging technology side or down is relatively new, and I am still learning from it every time on the water.

I believe imaging technology is going to continue to improve over the next few years, and Humminbird will continue to be the leader in advancing that technology (360 imaging this year). I purchased another Humminbird sonar this spring at the boat show, an 898 si unit.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Humminbird still has traditional 2d sonar as well. Can't you split screen and show both 2d and DI?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Down imaging info

Check this guy out. Lots of great info.

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/downimaging1.html
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath View Post
Humminbird still has traditional 2d sonar as well. Can't you split screen and show both 2d and DI?
Yes, one of the views is 2d/Di. On the units I have there are 20 different screens. There are a couple of views with a 3 screen split, 4 if you count the overlay info.( depth. lat/long, speed). There are three (favourites) buttons that you can save the screens or combinations of screens you will use most. With these buttons you can switch between all three views in a few seconds, which could have a total of 3 or up to 8 screens.

There are 3 color pallets for the sonar screen and 8 for the down imaging.