Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Default Lake Athabasca

Planning another fishing trip to Lake Athabasca with riverboats from Fort Mac. Anybody else doing that run this summer? This is a pic from our last trip there. Laker heaven.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Sounds cool do you boat from fort Mac up ?

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up Athabasca

We usually leave from Shell Landing north of Fort Mac. It is a long journey but worth effort in spades!
The fishing is great along the way, the delta is sweet for monster pike and some good sized walleye. We fish for lakers off of Crackingstone peninsula, not that far from Gunnar. The pike and grayling are something else too!.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM

Indian head resort is opening up south of Gunnar after being closed for a couple of years. Sounds like an adventure doing it your way but you'd have more time to fish hopping a plane out of fort Mac.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Banned

sounds like a hell of a trip. is this a guided trip or do you bring your own boat? how long do you stay out and is there campgrounds along the way or do you pick your camps? those are great pics.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5chord View Post
Indian head resort is opening up south of Gunnar after being closed for a couple of years. Sounds like an adventure doing it your way but you'd have more time to fish hopping a plane out of fort Mac.
I have stayed at Indian Head and had a great time. Right from booking the trip to flying back to Fort Mac. Treated first class.
However, it has been said that the journey is sometimes as rewarding as the destination. This is one of those cases. There is incredible fishing along the way. I do not mind camping at all, there are some great spots.
Lastly, my boat is set up much nicer than the open style they use. I like being out of the wind and rain. Better electronics and lets not forget the heater. As I get older I appreciate these things more.[IMG]http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz249/angler111/5DA0B5AD-CA99-4ED2-942B-48D615CD34D0-282-000001C05EE0ABEE.jpg[/IMG

Lastly to Sturgeon Hound I will be sending you some GPS numbers along with some other handy info that might help you on your journey. We will have to hook up after the ice comes off of the NSR. Look forward to meeting you and swapping some fish stories. Brian
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM

In your first post you say river boats but in the pic it looks like a standard aluminum. Are you running jet drive or can a prop boat make the journey?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Athabasca

That is a boat from Indianhead camp. A prop boat with a Yamaha 60 4 stroke, wish my boat got that kind of mileage. Nice enough boats but after a long day you are beat. A week in a boat like that, especially if it is cool you will have had enough. That water is ice cold, a heater to warm your hands is priceless. But there is something that warms you all over is catching 20 to 30 lb lakers with an occasional 40 thrown in. The laker in the above pic was estimated at 45 lbs.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM

mikisewsportfishing is offering delta fishing packages now...fly u from the mac and lodge u in chip, havent tried it yet but sounds fun
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Prop boat can make that trip down the Athabasca river. Just better going with the comforts of a jet. Ive guided on all the triple giants of the north. Great Bear, Slave and Athabasca Lakes. Athabasca is the best bang for your buck catching several trout in the 20 and 30 pound range. Also the pike fishing is second to none with many fish over 42 inches. Great Bear has the biggest trout but you need to fly out early from the main lodges to get the 40+ pounders.