Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Flin Flon Manitoba Camping and Fishing Question

Hi Everyone my first post so the first thing I would like to say is hi to everyone.

My family and my sisters family are planning a trip to the Flin Flon Manitoba area the first week of July. I am wondering where a nice campground with good fishing might be, I assume there are lots.

The two area we have in mind are Bakers Narrows Provincial park then we can fish Lake Athapapuskow or the other option is somewhere on Kississing Lake, looks like the is a campground near Sherridon.

I would like somewhere for the kids to be on the beach etc. because not everyone can fit in my boat at the same time and not eveyone will want to fish all the time.

From everything I read on AO and other areas the fishing at either lake is fantastic.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Gone Fishing

Welcome to the AO forum, unfortunatly I cant help answer your questions about Manitoba but im sure soon enough you will get the help you need. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and I hope they can steer you in the right direction.

Murray
Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Welcome to AO ,

Thats some really good fishing up in that neck of the woods as for camping not sure . Maybe Send an Email or Call Manitoba tourism . They may be able to tell you . Other option google some fishing / hunting forums in Manitoba and ask the same question .

Perhaps Alberta BigBore can help ya , theres also a few others that may know to . Sorry cant help ya out in that department .
Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM

welcome mrdanes,

I will be up in the flin flon area a week before you staying in a cabin at Bakers Narrows Lodge, across the road from the provincial park. I cant help with kississing, but Bakers Narrows looked like a nice campground with a decent beach and good fishing on Lake Athapapuskow. it is kinda handy having the restaurant/store across the road at the lodge too, incase ya dont feel like cooking for a meal. let me know if I can answer anything else. Only been up there the one other time 2 years ago.
Chris
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM

I am very familiar with the area as I had been there in the past, mind you it was quite a few years ago. BNPP has a very good campground and I plan on heading back there in a year or so. They have a fantastic launch and very nice campsites. Athapap is a large body of water with hundreds of island and lots of structure. I have caught several largish fish of lake trout and pike species.
Kississing is a very trying drive to get into. It is a narrow rutted logging road.
IF you do not mind going 40km/h or less it is ok, but the lgging trucks do not slow down for you at all.
Depending on the size of boat you have, you can also fish on Naosap or Kisseynew Lakes for walleye in number. Keep in mind these are both largish waters as well.
Sherridon is not the nicest place to get to. Probably about 1.5 hours off the highway depending on what you are towing.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Default Bakers Narrows Lodge

The lodge at the Narrows burnt to the ground about a month ago. This won't affect any of the camping in the park across the highway. There are many lakes to fish in the area. Athapap (Big Athapap) is likely the best drive to lake trout fishery anywhere. Schist Lake is nearby and is excellent for pike. If you have lots of time a trip to Kississing could be a great one, but you can fish off the same road much closer to the Narrows. Naosap produces lots of walleye. Kissenew for pike and walleye. Another close lake named Neso has some big pike. I've fished those waters for about 40 years now...hard to beat.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM

The lodge burned down, what a shame. Are the cabins fine?
When I fished Kisseynew, we couldnt find much over 5-7 feet of depth, We launched out boat just passed the bridge and followed the north side until the train bridge. We could not keep the fish off the hook and we were just using jigs with minnows.
I am really hoping to make it back there in the next year or 2. I really enjoyed my time there when I was younger and I want to show my familiy a real lake.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info so far. Looks like Bakers Narrows might be the spot, then we can visit numerous lakes while there for the week.

Can't wait to get the boats out.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:39 PM

The lodge burnt down? We are staying there in June in one of the cabins and they havent mentioned anything to us! I guess I should look into this> Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Bakers narrows is a great campground. We've stayed there for the last 15 years. Its cheap compared to Sask and Ab and very scenic. Book early online as best spots fill early. I will be there the first week of June , again !
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Kississing area

There are a ton of smalller lakes in the area, spent two summers in the mid 90's fishing Walton,Star, Jungle and a few others I don't know the name of. Huge pike, incredible walleye and perch fishing. Lots of bears, and bugs by the millions!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM

I've been up that way every year for the past 10 years. Nice country, great fishing. Lots of great lakes, all accessible. Athapap is beautiful and full of big lakers, but it's a very big lake. And cold...very cold. There are better lakes for the family. Kiss is along the same lines. Great lake, but big and difficult to navigate if you don't have proper gear.

Better lakes for the family include the Cranberries (1, 2 and 3), Elbow (at the far end of Cranberry 3), Iskawsum, Loukes, Tramping....I could go on for a few paragraphs. The bigger lakes are full of trophy lakers and pike. The smaller family lakes are great for walleye.

Best bet...go to xtremesportfishing.com. Go to the message board (forums). There is a ton of info to be had on that site.

Have fun...
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Grew up there.... Baker's Provincial Park is pretty nice, probably more amenities than anything else in the Area.

Pretty good fishing no matter where you go up that way. We usually went out to Denare.

Not far away into the Sask side is Denare Beach on Amisk Lake. The town campground over there is/was nice. I haven't been there in 5 ish years.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdanes View Post
Hi Everyone my first post so the first thing I would like to say is hi to everyone.

My family and my sisters family are planning a trip to the Flin Flon Manitoba area the first week of July. I am wondering where a nice campground with good fishing might be, I assume there are lots.

The two area we have in mind are Bakers Narrows Provincial park then we can fish Lake Athapapuskow or the other option is somewhere on Kississing Lake, looks like the is a campground near Sherridon.

I would like somewhere for the kids to be on the beach etc. because not everyone can fit in my boat at the same time and not eveyone will want to fish all the time.

From everything I read on AO and other areas the fishing at either lake is fantastic.

Thanks for the input.
Fished Kississing Lake a while back.......had great success with lakers, walleye and pike. Don't know about a campground there......I was on a bear hunt and fishing was a sideshow......stayed in a cabin at Sherridon.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Thought Kississing was one of those special lakes where you needed to be with an outfitter to fish there. Check the regs.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to this trip and being set up for Lakers here in NE Alberta already it will good to fish else where and test my luck. Big pike and walleye for a few suppers are also very fun.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Unlike NE Alberta , Manitoba lakes are full of rock reefs that claim lives every year. Be careful !
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Any word if the cabins at the lodge are still being rented this year?
I heard they are being sold?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Yup, they are still being rented as I have one booked for the end of June. I see as well though that there is an effort to sell the cabins and the whole resort. Not sure what happens if someone buys my cabin before I get there! I have a specific one I like to stay in. They are doing alot of stuff they used to do out of the main lodge in their Rec building, so it is mostly business as usual, with somewhat reduced services and supplies. I hope they are able to rebuild their main lodge again as I really enjoy this resort.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM

The cabin for sale thing is a crock ! They keep ownership and use during peak season , you get it off season. Pay in american , might get some service at the lodge. Haven't been impressed the last few years , we stay at the campground but try eat at the lodge. The last few years , meals were served to lodge guests only. Our money wasn't wanted there.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Kississing does require that your guided or you paid for a guide. I ended up staying with a local of Sherridan so I was pretty fortunate to fish that lake. Anyways the lake is full of plenty of big trout as my Master Angler awards prove.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Tires

Pump, pump, pump
Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 AM

We are booked at Bakers Narrows Campground for the first week on July and are looking forward to this trip a lot. Starting to get the camper and boat organized for the 10 hour drive.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Well I am finally heading back to Flin Flon for the first time in 20+ years. I have been speaking with some locals and will hopefully find some trout and walleye. The most important part of this lake is knowing where the reefs are and simply being careful. I will have the use of a locals GPS while on the lake and that will help with routing. I will be going in August to target trout but will hopefully still find walleye and large pike. Most important though is just being in the shield and the pristine nature that has not changed much in the last while.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Athapap / Flin Flon is one of my favorite places in the world. Friendly people , great scenery and incredible fishing. Be sure to take LOTS of bug spray though. Campground is better / cheaper than anything Sask has to offer. Unfortunately , this will be the second year in a row we won't be making our June trip.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 AM

I make a trip near Flin Flon every year for 1-2 weeks, we stay at Mirond Lake for fishing and black bear hunting. I really don't think it matters where you fish up there, the fishing is amazing almost anywhere you go lol. We always stop at Island Falls on the Churchill River, Pelican Narrows and Sandy Bay is another great place. Best of luck and have a safe trip.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM

The following from the Manitoba Regs..............

Kississing Lake and its tributaries, including Bartlett Lake - lake trout
limit is 1, walleye limit is 4 and pike limit is 4. All nonresidents of
Manitoba who fish must be registered and staying with, and obtain a
Special Angling Licence (free) from, a licensed Manitoba tourist operator
with an allocation for this fishery.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 PM

Took one of our foster kids up there last year.Never there before, good thing i didnt bring the boat.I may have never come back, there is a lake every mile and the most unreal scenery ever.Beutifull.You will have a blast
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
Took one of our foster kids up there last year.Never there before, good thing i didnt bring the boat.I may have never come back, there is a lake every mile and the most unreal scenery ever.Beutifull.You will have a blast
Actually, we just picked up this girl and brothers again tonight from the childrens haven in PA again.Moms off the wagen and off the reserve.Poor kids