Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing_Junkie88 View Post
This is a lot better advice... Maybe now jaystev you'll see why I called it amateur...
Nothing amatuer about it. Some of the best most experienced hunters i know refer to deer antlers as horns. Give your head a shake.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM

I like chicken fingers.... Dipped in hot sauce

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
I like chicken fingers.... Dipped in hot sauce
Ranch is good too - I also like orange pop to go with such an amatuerish lunch like chicken fingers.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ranch is good too - I also like orange pop to go with such an amatuerish lunch like chicken fingers.
Lol

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Nothing goes better with chicken fingers and orange pop than crinkle cut fries!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Im at the river right now. The rain sucks and i have yet to get a bite. I do feel better havin bait though lol. Whatever you want to call the fish they are all still cool to catch.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Thats great for you, im just saying that those fish you call jack fish and pickeral are actually fish in their own species.. i dont care that you "call a spade a heart". i call a spade a spade, therefore a Northern pike is a northern pike, a walleye is a walleye, pickeral and jackfish are their own respective fish. meant nothing bad by it, im just more specific and detail orientated than most and thats why youll never hear me call a northern pike anything but its respective name. same with walleye, goldeye, burbot etc.. not to bring race or anything into this but you wouldnt call a chinese person japanese,simply because they look alike would you?!
@Fishing Junkie, please do your research before posting irrelevant false information

Wikipedia

Northern Pike: The northern pike (Esox lucius, known simply as a pike in Britain, Ireland, most parts of the USA, or as jackfish in Canada or simply "Northern" in the Upper Midwest of the USA)

Walleye: In some parts of its range, the walleye is known as the Colored Pike, Yellow Pike or Pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is not related to other species of pikes which are members of the family Esocidae.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 PM

I didn't catch F all. I did read in another thread the outfall could be on bypass, gross. Anyways there seems to be a lot of water boatmen in the water. Do pike, walleye, or anything else eat those? If it was a trout stream I'd be stoked
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
For the same reason that this thread got derailed, I say Pike instead of Jackfish, even though I grew up calling them that. Saves the hassle. You'll still never hear me say Pike or Northern out loud. I prefer to use the names jack, big toothy bastard and prairie porpoise.
X2 lol I think this thread was about the NSR.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Walleye's are just small pickerel's. If you caught a pickerel you'd know it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Nothing goes better with chicken fingers and orange pop than crinkle cut fries!
I respectfully disagree...curly fries all the way!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie66 View Post
Does anyone use leeches or beef heart for bait? That's pretty much all I've used for Walleye, but that's in a lot smaller rivers than the NSR.
I will use leaches say if after I was out trolling for walleyes using lindy rigs or something , pretty expensive bait to be using on the river , but they work well .

I am not one to use funky bait for catching fish , I use Minnows , smelts, worms , once in a blue moon leaches .
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM

In Alberta we have no true Pickerel

here is some Picture's of the 4 fish in question

Northern Pike

Chain/Grass/Redfin Pickerel
Walleye

Sauger

David

Chain pickerel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chain pickerel
Scientific classification
Phylum:
chordata
Class:

Actinopterygii

Order:
Esociformes
Family:
Esocidae
Genus:
Esox
Species:
E. niger
Binomial name
Esox niger
Lesueur, 1818
The chain pickerel, Esox niger (syn. Esox reticulatus), is a species of freshwater fish in the pike family (family Esocidae) of order Esociformes. The chain pickerel and the american pickerel belong to the Esox genus of pikes.[1]
Contents
[hide] 1 Range
2 Other names
3 Physical description
4 Diet
5 Angling
6 Edibility
7 References
8 External links
[edit] Range

Its range is along the eastern coast of North America from southern Canada to Florida, and west to Texas. On the Atlantic Coast, in Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, the chain pickerel extend as far as 46 degrees north latitude. The fish inhabits freshwater from the Mississippi Valley into southern Wisconsin. It also is commonly found in Lake Michigan and the lower portion of the Great Lakes.[1] They also range to the Florida Panhandle.

[edit] Other names

It is also known as the "federation pike" or "federation pickerel". Pickerel is often a name given to walleye, although the true name belongs to the chain pickerel. Common nicknames in the southeastern United States are the "southern pike", "grass pike", "jack", "jack fish", and "eastern pickerel".

pike-pickerel.jpg

id_pike.jpg

Last edited by Speckle55; 04-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaYoungGun_93 View Post
@Fishing Junkie, please do your research before posting irrelevant false information

Wikipedia

Northern Pike: The northern pike (Esox lucius, known simply as a pike in Britain, Ireland, most parts of the USA, or as jackfish in Canada or simply "Northern" in the Upper Midwest of the USA)

Walleye: In some parts of its range, the walleye is known as the Colored Pike, Yellow Pike or Pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is not related to other species of pikes which are members of the family Esocidae.
Oh I've done my research dont worry. Please see Speckles post for clarification..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Oh I've done my research dont worry. Please see Speckles post for clarification..
Ok so obviously my definition wasn't clear enough, Walleye is commonly known and called the pickerel by many in Canada although its not truly related. It's a name that people give it for it being very similar, and good on you for relying on another persons posting as research instead of just trying to prove your own point. This forum has been completely trolled based on the fact of a commonly called name that people call northern pike and walleye here in canada and accusing other peoples advice as amateur and chicken fingers lol. Now can we just drop the subject already, people call it different things and there's no reason to have even brought it up, all you were looking to do was stir the pot with many other fishermen.

Last edited by embury93; 04-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

Yellow pickerel is what Canadians call them.

Walleye is what mericans call them.

It only matters, if you get confused easily, as some apparently do.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Common names create confusion as this thread demonstrates. Latin names benifit the naturalist in clarifying species . Esox , perca . See its easy and every one is on the same page. Try telling the co the pickrl on the banks is not a walleyr. Lol
Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaYoungGun_93 View Post
Ok so obviously my definition wasn't clear enough, Walleye is commonly known and called the pickerel by many in Canada although its not truly related. It's a name that people give it for it being very similar, and good on you for relying on another persons posting as research instead of just trying to prove your own point. This forum has been completely trolled based on the fact of a commonly called name that people call northern pike and walleye here in canada and accusing other peoples advice as amateur and chicken fingers lol. Now can we just drop the subject already, people call it different things and there's no reason to have even brought it up, all you were looking to do was stir the pot with many other fishermen.
precisely my point... i.m.o. youd look real foolish if you were fishing in waters with walleye and pickeral and were calling them both the same thing. I wasnt relying on his information as you think. its commonly found on wikipedia or through a basic google search. i didnt feel the need to argue about something that i know is right. you might call it this or call it that, BUT THATS NOT WHAT IT IS. so my original post was simply pointing out an observation that we dont have pickeral here. and you get all hostile telling me im wrong and i dont know my facts when in reality, i do.. so again keep on calling it whatever you feel like. but also know that, by a techinicality, you are wrong by calling them that...
Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Banned

Nail on the head gunner.

Common names are sometimes acknowledged by professional associations, however more often they are unofficial and just part of the local vernacular.

Any argument regarding common names needs some common sense and some basic research on taxonomy.

Elk or Wapiti?
Brown Bear or Grizzly Bear?

Should we argue about a Lake Trout not being a trout?

Should we argue that rainbow trout should be called salmon based on their phylogenetic placement?

Maybe "we" should be paying a little more attention in class. Highschool doesn't last forever.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Nail on the head gunner.

Common names are sometimes acknowledged by professional associations, however more often they are unofficial and just part of the local vernacular.

Any argument regarding common names needs some common sense and some basic research on taxonomy.

Elk or Wapiti?
Brown Bear or Grizzly Bear?

Should we argue about a Lake Trout not being a trout?

Should we argue that rainbow trout should be called salmon based on their phylogenetic placement?

Maybe "we" should be paying a little more attention in class. Highschool doesn't last forever.
Hay now I splet pikerl wrong . Lol might of been on the river for that class lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM

Personally I'm going to disagree with all of you grape soda is best. That is what were discussing here right?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Banned

It's called grape drink where I come from!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It's called grape drink where I come from!
its actually grape drank but I was trying to be civilized.... Don't make me get all crazy up in here I'm all jacked up on Jolt Cola and pop rocks.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

Bro yer gonna explode!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Bro yer gonna explode!
If by explode you mean have a gastrointestinal show stopper then your absolutely correct. Not even pepto can undo what I have done.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Banned

Paper thin wafer cracker?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM

The heck with this, Im goin pickerel fishin.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
The heck with this, Im goin pickerel fishin.
Make sure you read the reg's
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Make sure you read the reg's
lol there are regs for pickerel?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
lol there are regs for pickerel?
pickerel are an invasive species in AB and are not listed in the regs as a sportfish. kill em all!