Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Default Jackalope Locations?

I have always wanted a mounted Jackalope,
But am having a really pesky time finding any of these buggers.. So I have decided to pursue a wild one!

Was hoping that if any of you spotted them along your lines you could be so kind as to let me know what I am doing wrong.

I am baiting with a 40/40/20 Mix of Marshmellows, Granola and stolen Left footed Socks. Is this the most effective recipe, or should I add midget tears?

I have tried the famous Jackalope Call, ( Also known as singing Cat's in the Cradle in the nude ontop of a hill facing a full moon) but have gotten no responses.

Also, to make sure I am prepared, I have my 17 hmr and 300 win mag duct taped together, as I have never seen one below the waist and do NOT want to be undergunned. Perhaps its hind legs are also from the deer side of its ancestry, who knows?

All help is appreciated, I will also accept pms with suggestions on where to buy one..
Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Banned

Didn't you know there is a SEASON for them. The opener was last Saturday. I was fortunate to get one on the ground mid morning. Fox Pro Mountain Lion in Heat call did the trick. It's in for the 30 day drying period but I was assured by my Taxidermist in Olds it will make the book!

Equipment: Model 7 7mm-08 with iron sights in case they charge, 120 grain triple shocks, Swarvoski 10-60 power spotting scope, Danner hiking boots, Jim Shockey Hat, Under Armour Apparel.

Sorry ya just can't buy one...it's not the same....if you pm me I'll give you the honeyhole gps coordinates.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Damnit, Late to the party again!
Seems to happen every year! Why cant the Govt just leave us alone.

Atleast this is one thing the HUNTERS havent ruined for us lol
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM

It needs to be a crescent moon, and you should be facing NSW!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Last one I seen was on the other side of the Red Deer River while crossing at the Finnegan Ferry...Just outta range of my .22 Mag too.
I also hear that the Mexican Bear Dog is the best breed for tracking and stalking this elusive critter.
Good Hunting,
Rob
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Last one I seen was on the other side of the Red Deer River while crossing at the Finnegan Ferry...Just outta range of my .22 Mag too.
I also hear that the Mexican Bear Dog is the best breed for tracking and stalking this elusive critter.
Good Hunting,
Rob
A buddy of mine down that way uses Griffon/lab/ spaniel/ Pudlepoointer crosses.
he swears that this breed is going to be registered with the CKC within 20 years,and that there is not a jackalope in the country that can get away from them.

he doesn't shoo them, just sends them to ground and then sends in a dachshund/West highland white terrier to kill them.
I told him that was unethical and that he should at least keep the head- he scolded me and told me that his dog then brings the carcass out of the burrow!
Cat
Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

For some time, I had a large flock of them on my trapline but of late, their numbers have dwindled substantially. This I attribute to a change in the wolves diet, having changed from their staple of Jackalope to SHEEP......
Old 10-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
For some time, I had a large flock of them on my trapline but of late, their numbers have dwindled substantially. This I attribute to a change in the wolves diet, having changed from their staple of Jackalope to SHEEP......
Very possible. We'll done lol. Should confer with him because it sure helps to have somebody as knowledgeable about all things on gods green earth.
Come to think of it I would like to add one to my collection. Looking forward to getting educated on where, when and how.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Default awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
lol love it
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Bollocks.
Was out for another try, Still no sign.
Facing North South West was harder than I thought because my compass kept acting and there was no rainbow for referencing.

I think I will have to start hunting wolves, the Jackalope must be saved!

Would a Poodle/Pincher be acceptable to train in this case? Id like to take my PP out in public and see what it would do, but am worried about being judged...
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM

If you want to hunt for them specifically best chances of getting one is finding a den. I had a chance at one a few years back but of course i thought I had one uptop, which turned out to be an empty chamber!!! Lil fella got down into his lair and after that close call, could not find him. Sat over that hole for days watching..... waiting but nothing. He was a VERY nice 3X4!

As far as locations go, you have to find an area with a large overlap of WT deer and jack rabbits. If there is an apple tree or some other kind of fruit tree in the area that is a great localized start point. Fermented fruit lowers the animals inhibitions resulting in one night stands. They are a wiley animal and definatly require you to hold your tounge just right while persuing these critters. If you do manage across one, make sure your shot is good and true. A wounded bear looks like a tame bug compared to a wounded lope. They become super aggressive and being already fast they can strike from all angles before you can get a new round uptop. Be safe out there
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM

Good reading boys!!! Keep it coming.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Good reading boys!!! Keep it coming.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
Bollocks.
Facing North South West was harder than I thought because my compass kept acting and there was no rainbow for referencing.

Would a Poodle/Pincher be acceptable to train in this case? Id like to take my PP out in public and see what it would do, but am worried about being judged...
I just about wet myself lol
Old 10-14-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
If you want to hunt for them specifically best chances of getting one is finding a den. I had a chance at one a few years back but of course i thought I had one uptop, which turned out to be an empty chamber!!! Lil fella got down into his lair and after that close call, could not find him. Sat over that hole for days watching..... waiting but nothing. He was a VERY nice 3X4!

As far as locations go, you have to find an area with a large overlap of WT deer and jack rabbits. If there is an apple tree or some other kind of fruit tree in the area that is a great localized start point. Fermented fruit lowers the animals inhibitions resulting in one night stands. They are a wiley animal and definatly require you to hold your tounge just right while persuing these critters. If you do manage across one, make sure your shot is good and true. A wounded bear looks like a tame bug compared to a wounded lope. They become super aggressive and being already fast they can strike from all angles before you can get a new round uptop. Be safe out there
Lmfao this is good reading as good as the sheep hunter vs trappers vs wolves.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Sometimes you might find a population of Jillalopes in your area.
Simply leave a selection of "girly" drinks out at night - Vodka and cranberry being a favourite.
Once the Jillalopes are drunk, the Jackalopes will turn up in droves.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Talking

Well, I haven't told anyone about this yet...but we have one in captivity. It (we are now sure if it is a himalope or a heralope)is living in the chicken coop part of the big old barn here on the ranch. We have been feeding it all kinds of stuff to see what it likes as we heard they can actually be rather tasty if fed properly. So far it seems happiest when it has milk (homo milk, not that skim crap) and fresh lawn clippings. But now that we are not mowing the lawn anymore, I have been growing grass in the greenhouse. We have been introducing it to rolled organic barley flakes mixed with cranberries. This should result in prime well-marbled jackalope just in time for Christmas. It is already 450 pounds!
Needless to say, we are becoming a bit fearful at feeding time which is about six times a day as it hurls itself at the chicken wire repeatedly, and we are hoping it won't break through! When it isn't gobbling down its food, it hums! And I mean. it hums so loud that the ranch owner has been wondering what the noise is...We haven't told him about the critter or he would likely get mad and expect us to give him at least half when we butcher it later.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM

So is it true that the jackalopes in the eastern slopes are twice as big as the ones found south of the south sask river? My brothers cousins uncle was hunting jackalopes in the wilmore and said he saw one at about 450 yds that would have went book. Probably well over 700 lbs. He started the stock and got to about 350 when the wind swirled and it got his scent.. He said with those long powerful back legs he couldn't believe how quick it went up the mountain and headed to the next range. The highly coveted jackalope, maybe someday I will be lucky enough to get a draw for one.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I have heard of them being ruthless when injured or feeling cornered,
But I had never been given as good of clue as the overlap needed..
I shall begin to start mapping out every deer in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Sometimes you might find a population of Jillalopes in your area.
Simply leave a selection of "girly" drinks out at night - Vodka and cranberry being a favourite.
Once the Jillalopes are drunk, the Jackalopes will turn up in droves.

A selection of girly drinks should be easy to round up, I still have some sourpuss aswell as lemon gin from my last Snipe hunting trip near the Sunchild road.. Similar experience with drunk Jillalopes and the species I observed there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Well, I haven't told anyone about this yet...but we have one in captivity. It (we are now sure if it is a himalope or a heralope)is living in the chicken coop part of the big old barn here on the ranch. We have been feeding it all kinds of stuff to see what it likes as we heard they can actually be rather tasty if fed properly. So far it seems happiest when it has milk (homo milk, not that skim crap) and fresh lawn clippings. But now that we are not mowing the lawn anymore, I have been growing grass in the greenhouse. We have been introducing it to rolled organic barley flakes mixed with cranberries. This should result in prime well-marbled jackalope just in time for Christmas. It is already 450 pounds!
Needless to say, we are becoming a bit fearful at feeding time which is about six times a day as it hurls itself at the chicken wire repeatedly, and we are hoping it won't break through! When it isn't gobbling down its food, it hums! And I mean. it hums so loud that the ranch owner has been wondering what the noise is...We haven't told him about the critter or he would likely get mad and expect us to give him at least half when we butcher it later.

How could you Endanger your family like that??
You must have the Cajones of a Silverback Gorilla!
Can you elaborate on how you captured it originally?
I had never thought of trapping for one, just spot and stalk...
Now the ideas are flowing
Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Here's a picture of a Jackalope my grandpa shot just north of the Sweetgrass Hills in the 1940's. Just shy of book if I remember correctly. He said that is was a tough hunt on the prairies as they are very spooky. Got him with this iron sighted Remington 7600 pump chambered in nothing other than 30-06. 350 yards on a dead run. Heck of a shot.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
Bollocks.

A miniature PP is acceptable in public, its the bigger ones that draw attention!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Talking

How could you Endanger your family like that??
You must have the Cajones of a Silverback Gorilla!
Can you elaborate on how you captured it originally?
I had never thought of trapping for one, just spot and stalk...
Now the ideas are flowing
[/QUOTE]

Well, the Hublet goes in there with his 6.5 Remington just in case!
We actually found it up in an old cottonwood tree here after the flood went through! We didn't know they could climb but some of these Rocky Mountain Jackalopes have claws almost as long as a grizzly. We felt really sorry for it at first, and set down a bucket of milk. It was only about 25 pounds then. The Hublet thought we should try and raise it to eat later, so while it was very small, we lured it to the barn with a trail of bran flakes and some Craisins as that was all we had that the dog didn't like or she would have eaten it before the Jackalope did!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
3X4??!! WOW!! I've only ever seen forkhorns, but some very heavily beamed ones, never a 3X4 however- THAT is a monster!!
Cat
Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 AM

I am hunting for a Jackolope as well. I had one on my trail cam 13 years ago that looked like a monster. I've been out every full moon since then but have never seen it yet. I even tried a trail of Fruit Loops leading up to my treestand where I sat in only a loin cloth, but no luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackalope.jpg (68.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:48 PM

I am just amazed that no one has mentioned how to trap one.

First you dig a pit. Line the pit with hardwood ashes. Then put field peas around the pit hole. A spring loaded stick is placed by the peas. When the jackalope comes to take a pea, the stick whacks the jackalope in the ash hole.

Be very careful pursuing the jackalope during rut too. Nothing more dangerous than a rutted up 'lope.

Here is my personal best bunny buck. It was a challenging adrenalin pumping hunt. A nice 5 x 5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ubuntu-9-04-a-k-a-Jaunty-Jackalope-2.jpg (55.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I am just amazed that no one has mentioned how to trap one.

First you dig a pit. Line the pit with hardwood ashes. Then put field peas around the pit hole. A spring loaded stick is placed by the peas. When the jackalope comes to take a pea, the stick whacks the jackalope in the ash hole.

Be very careful pursuing the jackalope during rut too. Nothing more dangerous than a rutted up 'lope.

Here is my personal best bunny buck. It was a challenging adrenalin pumping hunt. A nice 5 x 5.
Now that's a booner 'lope right there. He must have placed in the top 10 for sure.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Any one have an extra score sheet ? Got a lope I need to put a tape on .
Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Success!!!!!

I came upon a very nice 4 X 4 jackolope, marking his dominance into an old barbed-wire fencepole. I approached him head on, and the wind must have been swirling, because he nosed me and jerked his head up to look for the source of said scent. In doing so, he managed to snag, then securely anchor himself, in the fence; first on his rack, and eventually on the fur around his head as he struggled. I thought it Providence that this jackolope be “shewn to me” and I aimed my gun. I was going for a poorly-chosen head-on chest shot, but upon hearing the "crack" of the gun, the beast tried to duck! With his neck firmly anchored it amounted to more of a collapse, and my bullet cut along his back from base of skull to tip of tail down to the backstrap. This added new strength to this huge jackolope! Wrenching himself from the fence, he actually started to de-cape himself! As I fumbled for another shell he continued to snort, tug and further extricate himself from his fetters at the expense of his hide. Soon he was stripped naked, down to his paws, when the barbed wire gave way, with only a three-foot piece still wrapped around his antlers. With a mighty tug, he finished his impromptu self-skinning job Leaving his entire hide caught on the demolished fence. With no discernable effect he turned and ran back along the fence, towards an old pile of farming implements, beer cans and willows,common in these parts of the North. I’m not exactly sure what happened next, but I believe that he ran past an old pickup whose only functioning part happened to be the drivers-side mirror. He must have caught a glimpse of himself; skinned and entangled in barbed wire, and suffered what I can only describe as “fright-induced-instant-death syndrome”, or FIIDS, as I have seen it referred to in whitetail circles. As wild animals are often wont to do, his reflexive motion caused the lope to turn back towards me at a dead run (literally) and attempt to jump over the same fence that proved to be his Waterloo. He made a poorly-timed attempt to clear a wicked-looking metal fencepost, failed, and gave himself a nasty slice from brisket to paunch on the tip of the post. As his reflexes gave out, he managed a strange head-first twisting jump and snagged the remaining barbed-wire high in an overhanging branch of and old spruce tree. By the time I caught up, panting and sweating, a strange silence hung over the field. There was the majestic jackolope; skinned, gutted, and hung not 10 yards from my truck. All that was left for me to do was affix my tag,(you know they sell tags for them now) and my season is done. I also found an arrow in his left shoulder where some hunter had made a previous attempt at killing this mighty beast. Strangest thing I’ve ever seen, and true as the day is long. Jackolope is at the taxidermist and is the first he has ever mounted. It cost me extra to have the taxidermist mount the neck without any fur, but I think the remaining strand of barbed wire in his left antler is the finishing touch. Forgot to add: He green scored 197 12/32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aden's_Jackalope_Kill.jpg (81.2 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by mxz1997; 10-18-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM

mxz1997...great hunting story,matter of fact i give it a full 10 outa 10...i just wish that it had been me telling the story,but just like most others on here i have yet to lay claim of getting my sights on such a fine looking animal. Now it has not been from lack of trying,last year for instance i was out looking everyday and only came across rub marks in the lower hanging bushes,tracks in the little bit of snow we had. I am going out again this year with a coupla buddies that say they know where these animals like to bask in the mid day sun which leaves them a tad drowsy and they tell me you can basically just walk up to them and pick out the one you want,wring its neck and pack it back to the truck..if that doesn't work out i am looking at getting a few decoys to help...keeping my fingers crossed for a good year.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM

i would like one thats still in velvet , but i heard you can only get one in velvet in leap years and if you want a albino it'll have to be only on day 366 . Can anyone confirm ?? .. if you happen to find a jackalope THIS is not far behind i heard that that it can track anything even unicorns .

Last edited by fishtank; 10-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Never realized rodent rodeo was so popular. They sure like riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rodeo squirrel.jpg (68.5 KB, 53 views)