Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2023, 02:44 PM

Default Hunting rabbits with a GSG-16 in Alberta

Hey all - total beginner hunter, just sorting out my options. I own an SKS at the moment, and am still getting used to shooting that before I think about shooting at anything living with it.

Thinking for the future, I plan on getting a Mossberg 500 shotgun, and I'd like something for plinking, but I don't like the idea of buying something that can't also be used practically. Are there any reasons, provided I can achieve the requisite skill level to shoot accurately with a GSG-16, that I wouldn't be able to hunt rabbits with it in Alberta?
Old 04-19-2023, 03:07 PM

No problem at all! As long as you are comfortable with it, I shoot rabbits with my Wildcat 22LR and I love it!
Old 04-19-2023, 09:33 PM

Gsg 16 is a great and accurate rifle. Get the longer barrel option, not the short one, it’s appear to be more accurate. I do have one and I did hunt ruffies with it. Just remember that if you are going to scope it - you will need to consider that the point of impact will be approx 2” lower than your crosshairs.
I like this rifle a lot, easy to get in and out of a vehicle too because it’s shorter.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:18 PM

I’ll just say that if you are worrying about not being able to use your firearms for practical reasons - ie hunting - there is a very good chance you will not be able to use neither SKS, nor GSG at all legally in the foreseeable future, not just for hunting.

I’ll also add that neither of those would be my first (in fact, they both be way down on the list) choice for hunting, SKS in particular.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:43 AM

Yeah, I'd heard they reversed the potential SKS ban, but I spose we'll see.

I wanna see how accurate I can get with the SKS before I make the decision to use it for hunting - worst case scenario, it becomes a platform to learn proper shooting technique with relatively cheap ammo.

In any case, I'm not married to the GSG - just thought it looked like a fun gun, and wanted to see if folks who have hunting experience would consider it at all viable for that purpose.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 04-20-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Gsg 16 is a great and accurate rifle. Get the longer barrel option, not the short one, it’s appear to be more accurate. I do have one and I did hunt ruffies with it. Just remember that if you are going to scope it - you will need to consider that the point of impact will be approx 2” lower than your crosshairs.
I like this rifle a lot, easy to get in and out of a vehicle too because it’s shorter.
Obviously, we have different ideas as to what constitutes an accurate rifle. While being able to hit grouse at 25 yards may be accurate to some, accuracy means a lot more precision to me.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:15 AM

Personally It pains me to say this as I firmly believe you should be allowed to hunt with any firearm that you can shoot accurately.

I would not go hunting with a Gsg 16 ( or any tactical looking rifle) at this point. Given the political climate towards firearms even being seen with a "scary gun" could hurt legal gun owners. If you make a mistake and end up in the media your .22 plinking rifle will be turned into an " Evil weapon of mass destruction capable of killing hundreds of school children" Even the Ruger 1022 is a better option but even that one seems like it will be on the chopping block sooner than later.
If I were to purchase a new firearm for rabbit hunting right now it would be a bolt action .22 that would accept both flush mounted and higher capacity magazines with a wooden stock. I would use the shorter magazines for hunting if on public lands. Plus being that it is not a semi automatic it will likely be legal longer.
You seem relatively new to shooting so a bolt action will help you learn the fundamentals of proper shot placement. Plus it can save you a little money when it comes to ammo.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-20-2023, 08:18 AM

Will it work yes is there better options definitely

I have watched my buddy wing shoot grouse with a defender successfully because it was all he had with him on our hunt but it was not near as effective as my o/u with a 28inch barrel

My opinion would be to use a different option for hunting
Old 04-20-2023, 08:58 AM

I also hunt with a Henry lever 22, great little gun, not the best option for fast loading/unloading but it is great for walking around. But again its all about how comfortable you are with the gun and how accurate it is.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:23 PM

While the GSG may turn your crank, just be prepared that it could wind up on a future OIC, and become a closet queen, or something else. These days you just have to live with that fore knowledge and accept that risk if you buy it, enjoy it for as long as you can and go from there. I've had great fun using the STG on gophers, it's too heavy for hauling around in the bush though, too clunky for a truck gun, for my tastes, I bought a T-bolt for that.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:26 PM

Default SKS and GSG

Go for it! I can hit clay pigeons at 100 yards with the SKS at 100 yards no problem, stationary of course! Also the GSG 16 is very accurate out 50 yards with open sights, usually the grouse are a lot closer than that. Use what you have don’t worry about the doubters that need a $1000 sniper .22.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewildhunt View Post
Yeah, I'd heard they reversed the potential SKS ban, but I spose we'll see.

I wanna see how accurate I can get with the SKS before I make the decision to use it for hunting - worst case scenario, it becomes a platform to learn proper shooting technique with relatively cheap ammo.

In any case, I'm not married to the GSG - just thought it looked like a fun gun, and wanted to see if folks who have hunting experience would consider it at all viable for that purpose.

Thanks for all the responses!
It is a fun gun for sure! And it is pretty accurate. For start, you will be just fine hitting rabbits up to 40-50 yards. Once you learn how to shoot - I’m sure you can be very accurate up to 100 yards. This little rifle has very good reviews regarding accuracy. As I said, I have one and I enjoy shooting it!
Old 04-21-2023, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Obviously, we have different ideas as to what constitutes an accurate rifle. While being able to hit grouse at 25 yards may be accurate to some, accuracy means a lot more precision to me.
Elk, with all do respect- the guy is just starting so give him and me a break, will you? Boys have toys and our toys are different than yours. So if you gonna be nice we might even invite you to play in our sandbox, lol!
Shooting gophers is lotsa fun with gsg16.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Elk, with all do respect- the guy is just starting so give him and me a break, will you? Boys have toys and our toys are different than yours. So if you gonna be nice we might even invite you to play in our sandbox, lol!
Shooting gophers is lotsa fun with gsg16.
I am just pointing out that there are varying degrees of accuracy. A friend got into shooting a couple of years ago, and bought a 22lr, a 17hmr, a 308win, and a 12 gauge, and had no idea of the differences between firearms. He assumed that the only differences were fit and finish, and features, but was very disappointed to learn that there were also differences in accuracy and reliability. He ended up replacing every one of those firearms, once he started shooting with us, and seeing the differences. Now he is very happy with his CZ and Tikka firearms, which aren't overly expensive, but are quite accurate.
Firearms like the Gsg16 and the other tactical looking firearms, are for the most part purchased because of appearance, not for accuracy.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:59 AM

We hunt bunnies here with .22s all the time.
Find that shotguns mess them up quite a bit - others have different opinions of course.
Personally I either use a Ruger 10/22 or a Baikal MP161, both fitted with red dots but 22 is ideal.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:16 AM

I see zero reason why a GSG16 wouldn't do as a rabbit rifle.

Remember try some different ammo and shoot what shoots best in your rifle.

A little red dot optic on such a rig might make it as good of a hare hunter as my wife’s Cooey 60 or my CZ 452…

The SKS isn’t a great rabbit rifle IMO, corrosive ammo and FMJ bullets (assuming you won’t be buying commercial SP’s) is a bit of too much in diameter and too much of a ricochet hazard, plus the corrosives side of things.

Youngn’(assumption yes) I’ll offer you some advice here. Take it or leave it, if you want.

Ask for a mentor, before you ask about which piece of gear to use.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 04-21-2023 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Syntax and punctuation
Old 04-21-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am just pointing out that there are varying degrees of accuracy. A friend got into shooting a couple of years ago, and bought a 22lr, a 17hmr, a 308win, and a 12 gauge, and had no idea of the differences between firearms. He assumed that the only differences were fit and finish, and features, but was very disappointed to learn that there were also differences in accuracy and reliability. He ended up replacing every one of those firearms, once he started shooting with us, and seeing the differences. Now he is very happy with his CZ and Tikka firearms, which aren't overly expensive, but are quite accurate.
Firearms like the Gsg16 and the other tactical looking firearms, are for the most part purchased because of appearance, not for accuracy.
For sure, I do agree with you on the above. I have a buddy who I introduced to hunting and shooting just 6 months ago and he is super hyped about all the tacticool guns, got himself Tavor in 308 and 223 along with a GSG-16 short barrel and CZ Trail in 223 also… He loves those guns because of their look. We were able to hit the gong with Tavor 223 at 300 yards but it was challenging…Havnt tried the 308 yet, may be this Saturday will try in on a gopher field….
Old 04-21-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hey all - total beginner hunter, just sorting out my options.
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Are there any reasons, provided I can achieve the requisite skill level to shoot accurately with a GSG-16, that I wouldn't be able to hunt rabbits with it in Alberta?
No, you can legally hunt rabbits with a GSG-16.

Now my thoughts on the matter. I bought a STG-44 made by GSG. Likely identical guts in a different package. It worked fine. Would I recommend it, no (unless you're looking for a cool looking spray and pray gun seeing how many times you can kill the pop can, or are a history buff, then it's great). I felt for what it was it was expensive, it was heavy, and it wasn't terribly accurate. If I was to do it over again, I'd consider one of the following:

Browning BL-22:

Definitely more money but more accurate, lighter, and you'll likely be able to sell it for more than you paid for it, if you take care of it, down the road.

Lots of "better" options out there IMO, Ruger 10-22, Savage, CZ, Henry has some nice offerings, etc. that will excel in every metric except maybe looks and cost.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Welcome to the forum!

No, you can legally hunt rabbits with a GSG-16.

Now my thoughts on the matter. I bought a STG-44 made by GSG. Likely identical guts in a different package. It worked fine. Would I recommend it, no (unless you're looking for a cool looking spray and pray gun seeing how many times you can kill the pop can, or are a history buff, then it's great). I felt for what it was it was expensive, it was heavy, and it wasn't terribly accurate. If I was to do it over again, I'd consider one of the following:

Browning BL-22:

Definitely more money but more accurate, lighter, and you'll likely be able to sell it for more than you paid for it, if you take care of it, down the road.

Lots of "better" options out there IMO, Ruger 10-22, Savage, CZ, Henry has some nice offerings, etc. that will excel in every metric except maybe looks and cost.
Those little levers are sooooo fun to shoot, I upgraded my iron sights on my Henry and it is awesome, I got the big loop which helps in the winter time.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:39 AM

BLR22 is a really nice gun, zero feed issues from the mag, shot a pile of gophers with it one year, then I took it chicken hunting, and tried to single load it thru the gate, then promptly sold it. I'll stick to clip fed stuff for hunting, I can't say as I'm a fan of refilling tube mags either, then again, no 22 mag is ever big enough.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:26 PM

Any AR looking rifle will get you unwanted attention. If you want that by all means go ahead but be prepared to be reported and then possibly contacted by enforcement.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:34 PM

^^^ I don’t think it will be a problem. He will be hunting rabbits in the bush, not in his neighbourhood… How many people will he meet in the bush? And most likely those are gonna be hunters who know the difference between ar15 and a plinker.
When I was hunting with mine, I had a few guys(oilfield service guys driving around) stopped by asking how is the hunting going and commenting on my Gsg. None had any problems with it. One of them actually got out of the truck and asked me if he can take a close look at the rifle. He said he will be buying it for his son, lol!
Old 04-24-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
^^^ I don’t think it will be a problem. He will be hunting rabbits in the bush, not in his neighbourhood… How many people will he meet in the bush? And most likely those are gonna be hunters who know the difference between ar15 and a plinker.
When I was hunting with mine, I had a few guys(oilfield service guys driving around) stopped by asking how is the hunting going and commenting on my Gsg. None had any problems with it. One of them actually got out of the truck and asked me if he can take a close look at the rifle. He said he will be buying it for his son, lol!
It depends where he will be hunting. You run into all kinds of people on public lands who know nothing about firearms other than " they are scary". There are people out there who feel hunting should not be allowed if other people use the area. Hell I was reported by a group of bird watchers in Blackfoot once because they felt Daffy deserved to fly away rather than end up in my oven.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-24-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
It depends where he will be hunting. You run into all kinds of people on public lands who know nothing about firearms other than " they are scary". There are people out there who feel hunting should not be allowed if other people use the area. Hell I was reported by a group of bird watchers in Blackfoot once because they felt Daffy deserved to fly away rather than end up in my oven.
I have never, not purchased a gun because of what some Karen might think.
If they are scared, that's on them and not my problem.
Also, and most important, the chance of any kind of issue the OP might have while hunting rabbits is so remote it's not worth worring about.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:46 AM

A 16 gauge would work good for rabbits. Personally I use a single shot cooey 22LR. Great in the thick bush, short little rifle. Knocked down many rabbits.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:41 AM

Hi Thewildhunt ..

Cheap plinking guns would be .22lr
Scope with right ammo for rifle
Light for shooting ease gun n scope
Both rabbit and upland grouse easy hunt head shots only

Example i use
REM 597 semi .22lr
Bushnell 4x
American Eagle 38gr hollow point

Hunting geese n ducks sharptail grouse n Hungarian partridge
REM semi shotgun