Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Post Tips for Mounting a Scope on a CZ-858?

I recently picked up a CZ-858 from Cabela's in Edmonton. So far the only way I have found to mount a scope on the rear of the gun is to use a "cantilever" rail, which brings me to question its stability. As well, I don't know if mounting a scope with a high eye relief is practical or even possible. AND I haven't even found this cantilever rail in the first place! Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I would like to avoid the use of a gunsmith if at all possible.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Interammo out of Edmonton used to carry D&T Side Mount Quick Release Mounts and Russian POSP Military Scopes.

Also you could try: http://www.zahal.org/products/vz-58-..._parent=218295

This ships from Israel, have heard good things about this mount on CGN.

You could also try the BCTactical Long Eye Relief Scout Mount which replaces the rear sight (no Gunsmithing) http://bctactical.ca/products.html

There is also the NEA handguard set. I use this and have a Bushnell TRS25 Red Dot on the upper handguard which holds zero, and allows for co-witness of the iron sights. It works great for me for "Pushing Bush" during Deer Season. http://northeasternarms.com/accessor...er-handguard-1

They also use to make the "Cantilever Mount", but don't seem to stock it anymore, P&D may have what you are looking for, or perhaps GPTactical?

All of these companies are Canadian, except Zahal of course.

Good Luck!

PS: I DO NOT recommend using the FAB Defense Plastic handguard set for mounting any type of optic, they are readily available too, but I personally can't stand them...
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Thank you so much! That is very helpful information. I'm asking about the scope because I'm building this set up for my father, whos eyes are not what they used to be but still wants to shoot accurately at a decent distance. I'll be building myself a red dot set up similar to yours I believe, it sounds like exactly what I want. Any idea what power of scope would go well on a 858?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 AM

Ahhhh...........I would'nt exactly call a CZ 858 accurate at 100 yards let alone longer distances. The Vz 58 was designed as a battle rifle with full auto capability,not a marksman's rifle.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 AM

They're accurate enough. If the fellow can't use open sights, and optics will help why not. Theres plenty of mini-14's with scopes that shoot even worse then 858's.

My only concern would be a solid mount, hopefully the links help that the other fellow provided.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 AM

While I can respect Woodbeef's opinion on it being a "Battle Rifle", it is also a very decent little carbine if used in the proper circumstances.

I have shot mine ACCURATELY out to 300 meters with Iron Sights. I would NOT recommend using it for anything further. While it can reach out further, the bullet drop is HUGE at longer distances. I recommend keeping it for under 200 yards, but if scoped up PROPERLY, and with a confident and accurate shooter behind it, I would not hesitate using it up to 300 meters. As long as you know the limitations of the cartridge.

Russian M43 Ball Ammo:
-----------------------
7.62x39mm (123g @ 2411 fps)

100 yards - 4.7" high

200 yards - 2.1" high

300 yards - 6.1" low

400 yards - 26.6" low

500 yards - 60" low

As you can see, its not much use past about 350 yards....

Most likely, the Soft Point ammo you would buy for hunting, will be loaded lighter than M43 Military Ball Ammo, so make sure you compensate accordingly.

I would strongly recommend using a fixed 4x or perhaps a fixed 6x scope for the CZ858. And zero it for 150 to 200 yards. The CZ858 can get about 2-3"MOA quite easily using quality ammunition, but of course every rifle may vary. I would expect a casual shooter using iron sights and no support can do 6" MOA out to 200-250 yards (I have done this in Service Rifle matches).

The Russian Military POSP series of scopes have a few made to match the 7.62x39mm cartridge, so if you go that route, make sure you get the correct one, as they make scopes with BDC's for other 7.62 calibres.

If you go the Long Eye Relief Scout Scope route, I would recommend perhaps a Leupold FX-II 4x28mm Handgun scope which can double as a LER Scout Scope. Just make sure that whatever scope you mount, that the ejected casings do NOT hit the scope! If the casings will not clear the action when ejected without hitting the scope, PLEASE get a case deflector!! (Even a modified piece of sheet metal strategically placed will do.) Otherwise you run a good risk of damaging or destroying the internals on your scope. This is why the BC Tactical, or the NEA top railed handguard setup work well with LER scopes. I started with a scout scope mount that replaced the rear sight on mine, and I ended up bashing an ACOG almost to death... The NEA setup I have now is much better.

AGAIN, as Woodbeef stated, this is a Military Carbine! Not a Bench Rest shooter, nor a 1MOA 800 yard Hunting rifle.. Respect it for what it is, learn all you can about the action, rifle, and cartridge, and your abilities as a shooter, and have FUN!!!!

Cheers!

PS: Your best bet to find out EVERYTHING you can about scope mounting the CZ858, is to check out the Thread in the CanadianGunNutz "Red Rifles" Forum titled "VZ58: Optics, sights & mounts." Sign up and read it here: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=277294

BC Tactical Scout Mount with Bushnell TRS25:

NEA Cantilever Mount with Railed Stock Adapter:

Russian POSP Scope and QR Mount:

NEA Railed Top Handguard with Bushnell TRS25:
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 AM

If you are going the scope route, I recommend contacting Interammo in Edmonton (http://interammo.com/shop/)

He should be able to set you up with the correct AK47 style Quick Release Side Mount and the correct 4x scope designed for the 7.62x39mm cartridge. Best bet is to call or email, as I don't know what he has in stock.

Your receiver WILL need to have 2 holes drilled and tapped though, but it should make for a solid mount.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM

You will need a shell deflector also. Ejected brass will beat the crap out of anything hanging over the ejection port.

Ahh, I see Desert Faux has covered this.

Tags
858, cz-858, mounting, scope