Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Arrow Please remove

I just bought a 22 and would like to sight in the scope.

If you have one that will work on a 22, Live in calgary / area I would appreciate using it for a bit to get it sorted out.

Thanks for your time and consideration
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
sheephunter

what type of .22?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

in edmonton wholesale sports would probably do it for you no charge. i'm sure some sports store in cal. will bore sight your 22 for little or no charge.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Post Rugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
what type of .22?
Its a rugar 10/22 but it has an archangel kit on it, so the scope sits ontop of the rail.

Seems pretty high but I do not know how much adjustment the scope can accommodate.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 PM

If it's a bolt action simply slide out the bolt, look down the bore and put it on a target and then dial in the scope to match. This method has never failed to get me on paper at 100 yards. I move scopes around and am always buying/selling new guns. I probably mount and sight in a dozen scopes + a year. I've never owned a bore sighter and never found the need for one. If it's an autoloader and you can't look down the bore just center your scopes adjustments and take a shot at 25 yards, correct and then move the paper back.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM

It's a 22 who cares how many rounds it takes to get on target. Shoot and adjust. There I just saved you a pile of money.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Its a rugar 10/22 but it has an archangel kit on it, so the scope sits ontop of the rail.

Seems pretty high but I do not know how much adjustment the scope can accommodate.
Unfortunately, most bore sighters are pretty well useless when it comes to setting elevation. Windage yes but elevation most aren't that helpful. A laser bore sighter is your best bet.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
in edmonton wholesale sports would probably do it for you no charge. i'm sure some sports store in cal. will bore sight your 22 for little or no charge.
I am gonna take it into the local wholesale, they said it would be minimal, I just didnt know if it could even be done where the scope is so high above

Thanks though
Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Its a .22, take it to the range and start close making your way further out until you are happy with it. Ammo is cheap and shooting is fun. Its a win win.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Its a .22, take it to the range and start close making your way further out until you are happy with it. Ammo is cheap and shooting is fun. Its a win win.
Don't spend a dime on the scope mount.Do what bound to fish says,wholesale probably won't get you on paper any how.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I am gonna take it into the local wholesale, they said it would be minimal, I just didnt know if it could even be done where the scope is so high above
I have found that I can get my rifles quite close, in both windage and elevation, if the scope is mounted reasonably close to the bore. With high mounted scopes, it doesn't work nearly as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have found that I can get my rifles quite close, in both windage and elevation, if the scope is mounted reasonably close to the bore. With high mounted scopes, it doesn't work nearly as well.
It is quite high as I said so I don't have high hopes, but it's worth a shot. LoL
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

If you lived in Edmonton or plan on coming up here...I have 2 that you can have.

I find it quicker and just as good to bore sight the old fashioned way.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Dial your windage elevation adjustments to mid range, take a 3ft piece of cardboard, and a marker and put a cross on it. Place it 50ft away or so, and shoot 3rds at it aiming at the cross. If you don't hit cardboard bring it in, and do it again. Once you have a group on the target, aim at the original point of aim(cross), then without moving the rifle, dial your windage, and elevation adjustments till your crosshairs are over your 3 shot group. Then do some fine tuning at what ever range you want to sight in for, too easy.

Bore sighting can make things easier, but even then the rifle is no where near sighted in, you still have to shoot paper at 25yds, then do the same as above, and finally tune to your required distance.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM

just put a scope on my ruger 10/22 . Used the lowest weaver mounts I could . Used the windage adjustments on the mounts at real close range then dialed it in with the scope . Moved target out to 25 , then 70 yards . Worked pretty good
Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Bore sighting can make things easier, but even then the rifle is no where near sighted in, you still have to shoot paper at 25yds, then do the same as above, and finally tune to your required distance.
If the scope is mounted reasonably close to the bore, I bore sight using my bore sighter, then fire my first shot at 50 yards with a rimfire, or 100 yards with a centerfire. I don't find it necessary to bother shooting at 25 yards after bore sighting.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the scope is mounted reasonably close to the bore, I bore sight using my bore sighter, then fire my first shot at 50 yards with a rimfire, or 100 yards with a centerfire. I don't find it necessary to bother shooting at 25 yards after bore sighting.
I've found I save more ammo at 25, but maybe my bore sighter isn't as good
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I've found I save more ammo at 25, but maybe my bore sighter isn't as good
I have found that knowing your boresighter is important. My own unit does not center exactly where it is supposed to ,but after using it a few times, I just started compensating for this, and the result is that I am almost always on the paper at 100 yards with centerfires, usually within a few inches. The only issues that I have had, were with very high mounted scopes. My own boresighter is stored in my range bag, and I use it more to help other people, than to bore sight my own guns. I likely use it at least 10 to 15 times per year.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
It's a 22 who cares how many rounds it takes to get on target. Shoot and adjust. There I just saved you a pile of money.
x2
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Ive got a laser bore site and i live in airdrie. Let me know if you want to use it.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Ive got a laser bore site and i live in airdrie. Let me know if you want to use it.
Sounds awesome I am at works for a couple weeks but can stop in on way home. Thanks

Tags
.22 cal, bore, laserpointers, scope, sighter