Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 PM

Default Foxpro. what volume setting?

Hi all,

new to the owning and calling for coyotes. the father inlaw has one i believe its a wildlife innovations older but it is super loud and he seems to have lots of success. i've been out around 10 times with my foxpro inferno and have strictly used it on its highest setting 20. its not as loud as the father inlaws. i've had no success until yesterday when i had to change the batteries in the feild somehow it was a bad connection and i was only getting about half the volume as usual. in the spirit of well i'm not getting up to fix it right now i let it play and sure enough a coyote came in the only one i've been able to call... my question then goes how loud do you play yours with success?

I usually start with coyote vocals and move to distress calls rabbit/bird then end with pup distress 30-45 min per stand. thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Start low to mid...if you blast it out and there are close dogs lots of the time you will spook them.

LC
Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM

Try not to start out with a coyote vocal then into a distress, it might work every now and then, but it may seem fishy to most coyotes. Either go straight coyote vocal or straight distress vocal. Start your stand with low volume so you don't blow any coyotes out near by, then slowly increase the volume longer into the stand. The most effective way to use a mixture of coyote and distress vocal is turn on pup distress right after you shoot. It sometimes allows a follow up shot of you miss and/or it might stop a second coyote for a double. Most fox pros come equipped with fox bang.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:03 PM

Turn off your Foxbang between stands. If you dont and the remote will lightly bump into something like your rifle and out of the blue "Coyote in Distress" fires up. Tends to get you busted.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM

In calls that can really crank up the sound i try not to use full volume unless im trying to penetrate windy conditions. Coyotes have no trouble hearing things so if it sounds loud to you its probably deafening to a coyote.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-13-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson View Post
Try not to start out with a coyote vocal then into a distress, it might work every now and then, but it may seem fishy to most coyotes. Either go straight coyote vocal or straight distress vocal. Start your stand with low volume so you don't blow any coyotes out near by, then slowly increase the volume longer into the stand. The most effective way to use a mixture of coyote and distress vocal is turn on pup distress right after you shoot. It sometimes allows a follow up shot of you miss and/or it might stop a second coyote for a double. Most fox pros come equipped with fox bang.
You should send an email to Randy Anderson and tell him this same thing.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post

I don't know who that is, so no.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:10 PM

I am by no means a pro. If I kill a coyote each full day hunting I am satisfied. I use a FoxPro Fusion and I do all of my calling with the volume at 35 and only push it to 40 if really windy. The other part of it though is I don't hunt in the prairies. I hunt the bush mostly in north central Alberta and I want to make sure a coyote 1/2 away through the timber can hear me. One of the coyotes I shot on Saturday I shot at 24 yards at the 4 minute mark in the stand so he must have been close but wasn't spooked off by the snowshoe HP distress at 35 volume.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Old 01-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know who that is, so no.
search him on google. that man knows a thing or 2 about howling in coyotes. probably 90% of randys sets start with a howl and he has well over 13 full length movies worth of film proving that it works like a hot damn!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
search him on google. that man knows a thing or 2 about howling in coyotes.

I'll take your word for it.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Turn off your Foxbang between stands. If you dont and the remote will lightly bump into something like your rifle and out of the blue "Coyote in Distress" fires up. Tends to get you busted.
Not sure if you like it that sensitive or not, but you can adjust the sensitivity of the foxbang so issues like You mentioned don't happen...
Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I've been starting stands with howls then moving to distress for years.....theres a few hundred dead coyotes that didn't seem to mind that style of sequence.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I've been starting stands with howls then moving to distress for years.....theres a few hundred dead coyotes that didn't seem to mind that style of sequence.

Right on for you, I've never had it happen for me, I've called in lots straight howling or straight distress and spooked more by switching sounds in a stand.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Banned

Haven't ever had much luck on full volume. Bagged one last weekend with advice from other members. Always start low and bring it up slowly. Pup distress has been successful so far this year but for the most part I've found if it's loud, it just scares them off. Rabbits and pups can't hit deafening notes and coyotes aren't stupid
Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I had this exact situation happen to me.Had the perfect place to call after I spotted 3 coyotes not very far away.Just as I sat down to reach for shotgun to place across my lap my remote bumped my barrel and foxbang kicked in and spooked the coyotes.Sad lesson learned for me.As far as volume goes I play it by ear-if you are in close range to bush or thick stands of willows I keep it turned down lower.Coyotes have great hearing and the only time I keep the volume up high is when its a little windy or you are calling across a wide or open area.You know they can hear it when farm dogs start barking 1 mile away.I only leave the call run for about 2-3 minutes max as well.Good luck out there.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you like it that sensitive or not, but you can adjust the sensitivity of the foxbang so issues like You mentioned don't happen...
I have backed off the sensitivity. Still happened. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Nonsense I always howl first and a minute or two later go into distress sounds. I have called in many coyotes this way. If you have ever watched big Al from Foxpro call, he does this quite abit. I say it makes them feel comfortable that there is another coyote in the area and they better hurry their ass to that dying or distressed animal before the next guy gets it.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckwa View Post
Nonsense I always howl first and a minute or two later go into distress sounds. I have called in many coyotes this way. If you have ever watched big Al from Foxpro call, he does this quite abit. I say it makes them feel comfortable that there is another coyote in the area and they better hurry their ass to that dying or distressed animal before the next guy gets it.
Exactly...it triggers both competitive and protective/territorial instincts in coyotes. In my experience mixing calls is not a bad thing.

LC
Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckwa View Post
I agree with ^^this^^

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 01-14-2016, 04:20 PM

thanks guys! lots of good advice here. the father inlaw mostly hunts open prairie where i've been mostly frozen pond hoping in thicker bush. i've watched most of randys work its impressive, almost bought the primos call just because of him but the reviews on the quality steered me to foxpro. will keep up with the same setup just start more softly now see if that changes my luck.

also if anyones interested i have the foxpro inferno sleek little unit got on sale from cabelas for 230 runs on 4 AAs i seem to be getting about 3 to 3.5 hours of calling out of it before i change batteries its volume is 1-20 has foxbang and really easy to carry comes loaded with 75 calls most of them useable
Old 01-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I have backed off the sensitivity. Still happened. Thanks for the advice though.
Thats strange (compared to my experience anyway) and sucks!! I backed my sensitivity all the way down, and i can bang 2 sticks together with decent force right next to it and it wont go off. Pretty much needs a gunshot to set it off now. Havent had an accidental triggering in the last 2 years. Maybe mines screwed up, but im not too concerned about it, lol
Old 01-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thats strange (compared to my experience anyway) and sucks!! I backed my sensitivity all the way down, and i can bang 2 sticks together with decent force right next to it and it wont go off. Pretty much needs a gunshot to set it off now. Havent had an accidental triggering in the last 2 years. Maybe mines screwed up, but im not too concerned about it, lol
I can give it another try. I got a new caller with a different remote and maybe this one wont be so sensitive.

Tags
alberta, coyote, foxpro, inferno, volume