Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Hidden Creek: Help is on the way!

I am posting this on behalf of a friend with the Oldman River chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada. This is a huge win for the future of Bull Trout in the upper stretches of the Oldman River system.

It's great to see that the advocacy and hard work by a number of people on these boards is resulting in real changes. I look forward to seeing how this entire project shakes out!

Oldman River Chapter- Trout Unlimited Canada
August 2 at 9:30am · Edited ·

Hidden Creek was once among the coolest, cleanest streams on the Eastern Slopes of the Canadian Rockies. As such, it was the preferred choice of over 75% of the Bull Trout in the Upper Oldman River for spawning. In spite of this, the forestry office of ESRD allowed clear-cut harvest of the Hidden Creek valley by Spray Lake Sawmills, the last in the Winter of 2012/13. Already compromised by an OHV trail that parallels the creek within its riparian area this logging, followed by 2013's flood, finds Hidden Creek no longer able to support the spawning numbers it once did.
The streambed cobble, now cemented together by massive amounts of calcite-based sediment, is simply too hard for redd building. The constant delivery of sediment during melts or rain events coats, and can suffocate, any egg that does find purchase. Young that do survive, and the aquatic invertebrates they feed on, no longer have the micro-habitat which use to exist between the stones and this, too, lowers survival rates and the stream's carrying capacity for life in general. Further bank slumping as a result of hydrologic changes and the proximity of the OHV trail truly finished the job mismanagement started; net result, redd counts are down from a high of approximately 120 prior to the disturbance to 15 last year.
The good news is help is now on the way. July 30 2015 I was able to attend the presentation of federal funds through DFO by MP John Barlow to TUC and our partners, AWA, OWC and Cows and Fish to start the recovery of Hidden Creek. Preliminary assessments have been done and work, such as willow planting to stabilize the creek's banks, will begin this fall. TU will be looking for volunteers on this very important project.
I've spent time in Hidden Creek in autumn and I can tell you it is a magical place. Above Hidden Creek Falls, and the recent cut-blocks, the damage is not as severe and there may be opportunities to view successful redds. Depending on the timing, we may be able to catch a glimpse of the remaining Bull Trout spawning as well. Great fun!!!
Stay tuned for regular updates on this fun, solutions-based project. Drop us a line if you want to be involved.
-Kevin Turner
Picture of Hidden Creek at its confluence with the Oldman River taken August 10 2013 after a significant rain event. The Oldman saw the same rain yet remained relatively clear.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:42 AM

Thanks for posting this. Good news.

I grew up horseback riding, hunting and hiking in that drainage. Was a wild and beautiful place back then, but logging, exploration, ATV's have really changed that country. Last time I was there, a few years ago now, I was really disappointed to see what has happened to the upper Oldman area. Hopefully this is a step in restoring that country into the wild place it once was.

Tags
alberta, bull trout, oldman river