Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Default Pike Follow but no Strike - HELP

Hi Guys,

I am new to Pike fishing and was out on the weekend with my son. We caught 2 but most of the Pike just follwed behing the lure and did not strike... saw only about 6 or 8 on the whole morning... what gives? Any hints on retrieves, hot lures etc. Can't use bait where we fish.

Also what time is best? Ealry morning? We fished mid morning to about 1:30.

Are most of you covering lots of water casting to weedy shore lines etc?
Also tried out my fly rod but no luck...
Any help wold be welcome. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Try mixing up your presentation a bit. For example, instead of a constant speed when reeling, change speeds throughout the retrieval- from faster to slower, etc. Or throw in a couple jerks when reeling, then let the spoon, spinner-bait, crank bait, etc, flutter towards the bottom before beginning to reel in again. In other words, try to show the pike something they haven't seen before.

I've found by changing up the motion of the lure, it can attract fish to hit it instead of just follow it. Even changing lures- types of lure or even colour- can change help entice fish to bite.

Sometimes it just won't matter what you do, the feed is just 'off' and they aren't aggressive enough to hit your lure.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Yup, what Mo said.
I've seen it thousand times where the pike would follow the lure right to shore then turn away. What I learned to do was slow the lure down a bit, but don't let it dead drop, then speed it up back up. Almost every time the pike would nail it at soon as I sped it up from a slow drop. Most times so close to shore I didn't need to real much, just grab the net.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Try mixing up your presentation a bit. For example, instead of a constant speed when reeling, change speeds throughout the retrieval- from faster to slower, etc. Or throw in a couple jerks when reeling, then let the spoon, spinner-bait, crank bait, etc, flutter towards the bottom before beginning to reel in again. In other words, try to show the pike something they haven't seen before.

I've found by changing up the motion of the lure, it can attract fish to hit it instead of just follow it. Even changing lures- types of lure or even colour- can change help entice fish to bite.

Sometimes it just won't matter what you do, the feed is just 'off' and they aren't aggressive enough to hit your lure.
X2

At the end of your retrieve about 5-10 feet out draw the lure horizontal to the shore line/boat to lengthen the time the fish has to strike.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Figure 8 @ the boat will crank up the "Prey Drive".

Cheers.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Cool

husky jerk , short rod, small reel works every time.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM

I have found the best method to get that final enticement is when you see him following your hardware, start reeling faster... If you reel fast when you see him it will force the pike to make a split decision.. usually he goes for the kill instead of losing a potential meal.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
pelada trochu

I agree they seem to respond if you **** them off. Stop trying to be nice. Speed up be more erratic.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM

I find if I see him following ill either increase speed or stop completely, stopping allows the lure to drop right in his face as he's following, also creating an instinctual strike. Hope this works for ya!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Change it up!
If the pike are shooting away when they get close to you or the boat, then like everyone else as said start throwing in some twitches and vary your retrieve speed.
If the pike are stopping or slowly lingering away, keep a second rod on hand and toss out something smaller that you can control - ei. jig and minnow. Last year we had a ton of hammerhandles following to the boat. So I picked up the walleye rod and when one of my fellow fishermans brought one to the boat, I'd plunk in the jig & minnow and do my thing. Worked for me. Infuriated my friends.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Remember, pike are territorial. Make sure your presentation is somewhat in their face. Twitches and jerks in your retrieval could definitely help and flashy lures can also work well. Like someone mentioned above sometimes the bite is off, all you can do is change your approach and find out what is working that day at that lake. No one method will work for every situation at every lake, you just have to play around a bit. I even took the treble off of a five of diamonds and put a swivel between the lure and the treble. This makes the action of the spoon more dynamic and to date, it is one of the best lures I have.

Chris
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Take a second rod, rigged with a white tube. When a pike follows your lure, but won't commit, toss in the tube. Works like a charm!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

If you feel a tap and miss him pike always bite again so reel in slow very slow slow it down then you will get them to bite.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
Take a second rod, rigged with a white tube. When a pike follows your lure, but won't commit, toss in the tube. Works like a charm!
If I understand you right? You would have two rods in your hands and two hooks in the water at the same time. Don't let F&W see you as this is ilegal. Only one rod allowed open water fishing.

As others have said, vairy your speed on retrevel. Or twitch the rod once in a while. Or both. You got the right hook as you said your getting them to follow, now its triggering them to bite.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
If I understand you right? You would have two rods in your hands and two hooks in the water at the same time. Don't let F&W see you as this is ilegal. Only one rod allowed open water.
Or when you get your first rod/lure to the boat/shore you set it down and grab the backup rod/lure with the different lure...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
If you feel a tap and miss him pike always bite again so reel in slow very slow slow it down then you will get them to bite.
I respectfully disagree

If you're out in a boat and you can see them following but not hitting, slow it down and they will typically shy away. Speed up your retrieve, or at least give your lure a few jerks and they're more likely to lash out and hit it.

Same thing if I get a hit that doesn't hook the fish...right away I'll give it a few twitches and speed up my retrieve and more often than not they'll come back.

I know speeding up the lure is counter intuitive, but it works!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Any time I have a bite I slow down really slow too, half the time the pike will follow right to the boat or shore and I can jig my spoon right there and you can watch it grab that lure.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone, all good tips. We'll head out again and mix it up more.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:51 PM

Smile The fly rod

Good for you to give it a try. If you are in a boat and can cast into the weeds, you can tie a weedless fly (the guys here can show you) and a frog, mouse or ducking my give you the surprise of your life!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I respectfully disagree

If you're out in a boat and you can see them following but not hitting, slow it down and they will typically shy away. Speed up your retrieve, or at least give your lure a few jerks and they're more likely to lash out and hit it.

Same thing if I get a hit that doesn't hook the fish...right away I'll give it a few twitches and speed up my retrieve and more often than not they'll come back.

I know speeding up the lure is counter intuitive, but it works!
I'd tend to actually agree with BGSH... Whenever I notice them chase and am fishing spoons... i slow it down to a crawl, than give it a jerk and let it sink a bit. They hammer it almost every time
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM

I think you all are reading into it too much...pike will eat anything anytime....fast or slow.

When I flyfish for them they seems to strike on a pause after a couple quick strips....or while stripping the line quickly

LC
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I'd tend to actually agree with BGSH... Whenever I notice them chase and am fishing spoons... i slow it down to a crawl, than give it a jerk and let it sink a bit. They hammer it almost every time
its not really fast or slow, its more about being erratic to induce strikes of nonaggresive pike.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM

suspending cranks or swimbaits really work well in those situations
Old 05-27-2012, 07:04 PM

Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Suspending rapalas. As long as your not to Shallow just let it sit and pull it very gently, strike everytime
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 PM

You are in the wrong light spectrum, When fish follow but do not strike -typically your lure is too bright.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM

I agree with chubbdarter and gprime27 on the suspending lures...they work very well. On a pause in retrieval, they look more natural as opposed to a spoon dive bombing to the bottom of the lake/river.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a secret weapon for when that happens.

I have a silver, Bomber Long A that I hook up special for these Pike.
I remove the front hook and attach the leader to the front hook eye instead of to the line attachment eye.
This causes the lure to do a slow roll on retrieve.
To use it this way, cast a bit past where you last saw your Pike, then retrieve in fast three foot pulls, letting the lure rest for a few seconds between each pull.
This results in a perfect imitation of a mortally wounded minnow and will draw some of the most explosive strikes you have ever had.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Kim473;1447795]If I understand you right? You would have two rods in your hands and two hooks in the water at the same time. Don't let F&W see you as this is ilegal. Only one rod allowed open water fishing.

Well, I guess this is where you did not understand me right! Not once did I say to fish with both rods at the same time. I always take a back up rod, or 2, or 3, when fishing. ESPECIALLY when I am pike fishing! And just so you know, It is definately not illegal to have more than one rod rigged, ready to use, while you are fishing.

Just as "CantThinkOfAName" stated, you use one rod, set it down and then grab a different rod. It's not that hard of a concept. However, I do appreciate you giving me the head's up on F&W and quoting the regs for me....just in case I hadn't read them before!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Default Pike help

A tip i learn't the hard way is to always change your lures i onced went through my entire tackle box but i caught abought a fish a lure, and trust me there was a lot of lures in there. And droping it a tiking them of works to.