Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 01:44 PM

Default Getting Started Fishing in Alberta

Hey everyone. I used to fish a ton with my dad growing up but now that I've moved out on my own I would like to get back into it. So basic lake fishing all around the province. What should I buy? I'm talking everything to quality of equipment right down to what I should buy and prioritize just to get out this summer. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2022, 02:24 PM

I would be best to pick a species or a few species you wish to target to help narrow it down because when it comes to gear it’s not hard to get out of hand. There is so many things that vary
Old 05-25-2022, 03:52 PM

I agree with what Smoky said above.

Do you have a species or lake that you'd like to fish in mind? If you narrow that down first and let us know your budget, we can provide some suggestions on what gear to get first.

If you're looking to fish for Pike/Walleye, I'd start off with a medium action rod with some spoons, jigs and maybe some pickerel rigs for bait fishing.

For trout, I'd get an ultra light or light action rod. For lures, I'd get some small spoons, floats, and some hooks / weights for bait fishing. Powerbait and worms are usually a good choice if you're fishing for stocked trout.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:51 PM

Pike/Walleye, whatever I can get just shore fishing for the time being. Price isn't a super huge deal other then I don't feel as if I have the need to run out and get the best of the best right now. I just want reliable gear and suggestions on what to get myself when starting from fresh! Thanks.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:56 AM

The best advice given to me over and over is pick up a 5 of diamonds to start.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariouskater View Post
The best advice given to me over and over is pick up a 5 of diamonds to start.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
word lol catches almost everything in alberta

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-01-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 View Post
Pike/Walleye, whatever I can get just shore fishing for the time being. Price isn't a super huge deal other then I don't feel as if I have the need to run out and get the best of the best right now. I just want reliable gear and suggestions on what to get myself when starting from fresh! Thanks.
Buy yourself a copy of Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide. Pick your Zone read up on the waters you want to fish. Then go fish them. I always have a copy in the truck.

BW
Old 06-01-2022, 09:42 AM

Default Piscifun Honor XT on sale 37.99 at Amazon.ca

Awesome reel for the $ on sale right now, 1000 series ultra light, 2000 light, med light, 3000 med, 4000 med heavy.

1000 for ultra light trout river setup, 2000 will work for same, 3000 for walleye and jack setup, 4000 for jacks using big bait and trolling.

At this price buy a couple or few of these and match them up with appropriate rods.

https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Honor...57&sr=8-1&th=1
Old 06-01-2022, 09:47 AM

It’s a strange thing. I have never had great success with the 5 of diamonds. I have had very good results with perch pattern spoons in certain lakes.

In Wabamun for instance I have very little success with spoons at all but get steady action with rattle traps and similar baits. At Lessard lake I do very well with spoons and rattle type baits are almost a complete waste of time .

These are not one off observations . I fish these two lakes regularly and always with same results. I guess what I am saying is don’t just rely on a few spoons to do the trick.

Side note , since I switched from wire leaders to fluorocarbon leaders my hookups have gone way up. Get yourself some leader material and learn to tie your own and you will save some money and catch more fish in my opinion . I use 20 to 50 lb fluorocarbon and usually make ‘em about 15 to 20 inches long. For pike and walleye.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
"..It’s a strange thing. I have never had great success with the 5 of diamonds. ."
Same !!
The red devil spoons were always magic for me.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It’s a strange thing. I have never had great success with the 5 of diamonds. I have had very good results with perch pattern spoons in certain lakes.
Fish can be a fickle mistress... I used to fish a bay in Pigeon Lake almost every weekend. On the left side of the bay a 5 of diamonds was the only hook to get bites. On the right side it had to be a red devil. At Lac La Biche it had to be a # 1 sized spoon. If you tried trolling a #0 or #2 you would not get a bite.

Best info I can give a new fishermen is to find the style of rod and reel you like best then build on it from there. Some people love baitcaster's, others spinners. Some people solely are into fly fishing. Your line preference will come down to what rod and reel you select. Personally I love Power Pro paired with a fluorocarbon leader, especially for trout and walleye. Pike seem to hit on anything that moves so I find steel works just as well.

I agree with the others, Len Thompson spoons are great. Get a few of their assorted starter packs. They are worth the money.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-01-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin View Post
I maybe some pickerel rigs for bait fishing.
Please do not suggest pickerel rigs for anybody... they should be banned from use in my opinion. Way safer and more effective rigs ( like slide rig or paternoster rig ) can be tied easily even by somebody new to fishing.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:14 PM

I think when it comes to choosing lure you need to go with what you are most comfortable and understand how it works. I never use spoons for example... just never mastered it or had any success with them - spinners, jigs or rapalas is all I use.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:17 PM
Banned

Get a float tube, too much fun and gets you into areas where a boat can't be launched.

I don't think there is anything better than kicking back on a lake watching the sun go down with a cold beer and a cigar after a great day of fishing.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:32 PM

You are far better off getting some decent quality gear (and build it up from there and add other gear) instead of buying cheap crap. A medium power, fast action rod - $70-$100 and a decent spinning reel $80-$150 will put you into very good quality set up that can tackle almost any fish here in Alberta.

Shimano, Abu Garcia, St.Croix gear are all pretty decent and start about that price range.

I think most of the lure selections, to stsrt your tackle box off are good ones, various spoons, jigs, fluorocarbon leaders, etc... will get you going.

Good braided line (like Power Pro) is a good investment. Get a couple rolls of fluorocarbon leader (not fluorocarbon line) to tip your line for toothy pike.