Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default Dog with cut pad

My friends little dog has managed to cut the pad of its foot, not overly deep but still. Any ideas on what to do with it? Leave it? Glue it?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
My friends little dog has managed to cut the pad of its foot, not overly deep but still. Any ideas on what to do with it? Leave it? Glue it?
Crazy glue has worked for me in the past . Holding the begger down is a different story . Good luck .
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Banned

Beat me to the punch.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Yes hold it closed and crazy glue it. Hang on to it keeping it closed until it dries. Had a dog run a 2 day field trail like that once in Ontario.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

I crazy glue sled dogs together all the time. Works for them. Use it on myself quite a bit too. Stings like a bugger but works great.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I crazy glue sled dogs together all the time. Works for them. Use it on myself quite a bit too. Stings like a bugger but works great.
After i was told that they used in in 'Nam in combat, I tried myself on the cuts and cracks of my hands - works fantastic!!
Cat
Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Banned

Used crazy glue earlier today, it closed some of it but I'm still trying to get the rest off my fingers. I'll hit him with it again later, see if it will hold.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Don't put it on your fingers.
the places it probably didn't hold are where you put it on your skin instead of his pad.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I crazy glue sled dogs together all the time.
Definitely would recommend the leather straps instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Don't put it on your fingers.
the places it probably didn't hold are where you put it on your skin instead of his pad.
Could be it, the wound opened up all the way again. It's in a bad spot, the back of the large pad.

I tend to bathe small dogs in epsom salts and water, no soap, really helps with lots of skin conditions. So his paw got soaked well tonite.

Hit him with the crazy glue after the bath. Closed the wound with it then painted it. He's chewing on a raw meaty bone in his kennel at the moment.

How is it that when it gets on your hands it dries immediately and your fingers are stuck together. Put it on a dogs cut and it takes forever to dry.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Well that lasted all of about 15 minutes, it's wide open again, think he's licking it hard. It's not bleeding, i'll leave it be and let it heal on it's own.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Well that lasted all of about 15 minutes, it's wide open again, think he's licking it hard. It's not bleeding, i'll leave it be and let it heal on it's own.
thats what we did, left it alone, healed over night, she cleaned up any blood as well... if it was real deep maybe we would have brought her in... just keep an eye on it and let it heal for a few days/1week before any major activity
Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd just reglue and throw in a couple sutures to give it more hold but.... once you get a ways past it (time wise) there is no point.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 AM

If he licks too much it will get infected from the saliva, and it will stay wet and not heal. I went through this a few times and you need to keep it clean and dry, and put a bandage or a small sock over it with tape. I would also add a spray antiseptic before bandaging. If they don't leave it alone slap a cone on him.
If it looks infected I would get an antibiotic.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
How do you separate the dogs later?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Default dogs paw

My dog got a deep cut on his front pad. You can buy beta dine 10 % solution at a pharmacy. It is great for disinfecting cuts and does not sting at all. Its about $5. I tried gluing the pad and it worked well. Then I put on a pad and taped it. By morning the dog had ripped everything off and was licking his pad. So when I took him out I would put a pad on and tape it up. When I would come home I would take off the pad and tape. Then he would lick it and clean it. I did this for a couple of weeks and the pad healed perfectly. In my experience the dogs saliva aided healing and did not cause any infection.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 AM

My lab got bit in the ear and I was up all night trying to stop the bleeding. When I finally found a vet who would take him without an appointment all the guy did was glue the ear and it worked perfect. He did also give him some antibiotics for infection.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
How do you separate the dogs later?
In the spring when you don't need them anymore their hair sheds and then they are separated. Cuts the number of harnesses and bowls you need in half.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Back in the day my father would use a flour and water paste, seemed to work to stop bleeding.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM

See a vet, it may need suturing and your dog can get pretty sick from it if the wound is not treated properly. It is the equivalent of tearing a piece out of your hand.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM

if it is no longer bleeding, i would disinfect. slather up some vaseline (also helps stop bleeding) and but a sock on the leg with the suspect paw. Tape the sock up or use a tensor bandage. All the sock is for is so he cant lick it.

worked for me more than a few times, cut nails to short and wouldnt stop bleeding once as well. Vaseline on the nail, sock over top.
done deal.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM

When my girl slit her pad, I cleaned it out and wrapped it up in gauze and then vet wrap. I changed it once a day and she wore it for three days. Very tolerant puppy she was!