Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Default Pigeon report

Finally found a minute to get out to Pigeon with the wife. Made it out to Mulhurst this morning and was on the water by 7:30. Fishing was awesome to start and we quickly used 4 of the 5 tags we have. The 43-50 could have been filled 5 times over. The over 50 took some time. Got a nice one right away that was 56-57. Got the final over 50 cm walleye at about 10:30 a.m. Headed back to the launch before it was getting busy

The most disturbing part of the morning was catching 3 over 50 cm walleye that were skinny, much whiter / pale in color to the others and there heads stood out against they bodies. I haven't seen poor looking fish like that for some years. Anyone else seen walleye like that recently? Yes, they all went back. None of these skinnies fought well either.

It was getting busy back at the launch. Helped some groups out. One guy needed some tools as the bolt on his bow mount broke off in the bracket. We ended up pounding the remaining piece left just to he could get in to slide in the bracket. Also helped a guy in a wheel chair get into a pontoon boat. I was surprised they didn't have a transfer belt or anything. I've done it before, you need leverage and/or some good strength. My wife did a lot of this in her job so she and I helped them get the guy in. I hope they get him out okay...

Two other boats were stuck at the dock with motor trouble. I think you could spend you day there on any weekend helping out if you feel you need to do a good deed or two

The water was nice and clear for August. Some green tinge but normal. Also the water temps were only 67 degrees. This rain is annoying but is sure keeping the temps down. The temps are usually well into the 70s by now.

Cleaning time
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the report Snap. I love putting walleye on ice!

I've also been enjoying day trips out to Pigeon, the fishing at the PP drop off has been phenomenal. Despite the fact that there are 20 boats in the space of a football field the walleye still want to play.

Good on you for helping out so much too. Most just look the other way.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Finally found a minute to get out to Pigeon with the wife. Made it out to Mulhurst this morning and was on the water by 7:30. Fishing was awesome to start and we quickly used 4 of the 5 tags we have. The 43-50 could have been filled 5 times over. The over 50 took some time. Got a nice one right away that was 56-57. Got the final over 50 cm walleye at about 10:30 a.m. Headed back to the launch before it was getting busy

The most disturbing part of the morning was catching 3 over 50 cm walleye that were skinny, much whiter / pale in color to the others and there heads stood out against they bodies. I haven't seen poor looking fish like that for some years. Anyone else seen walleye like that recently? Yes, they all went back. None of these skinnies fought well either.

It was getting busy back at the launch. Helped some groups out. One guy needed some tools as the bolt on his bow mount broke off in the bracket. We ended up pounding the remaining piece left just to he could get in to slide in the bracket. Also helped a guy in a wheel chair get into a pontoon boat. I was surprised they didn't have a transfer belt or anything. I've done it before, you need leverage and/or some good strength. My wife did a lot of this in her job so she and I helped them get the guy in. I hope they get him out okay...

Two other boats were stuck at the dock with motor trouble. I think you could spend you day there on any weekend helping out if you feel you need to do a good deed or two

The water was nice and clear for August. Some green tinge but normal. Also the water temps were only 67 degrees. This rain is annoying but is sure keeping the temps down. The temps are usually well into the 70s by now.

Cleaning time
Thank you again SNAPFisher. I'm the guy that needed the tools for the broken bolt in the bow mount. You saved the day for us. My son and his friend had planned this trip for months . I greatly appreciate your kindness.
We had an excellent day on the water thanks to you . It was a pleasure to meet a fellow Alberta Outdoorsman brother.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
Thank you again SNAPFisher. I'm the guy that needed the tools for the broken bolt in the bow mount. You saved the day for us. My son and his friend had planned this trip for months . I greatly appreciate your kindness.
We had an excellent day on the water thanks to you . It was a pleasure to meet a fellow Alberta Outdoorsman brother.
Far out! Yes, that I was glad to meet you as well. You look like a fun loving group. Nice boat too

And, how was fishing?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Far out! Yes, that I was glad to meet you as well. You look like a fun loving group. Nice boat too

And, how was fishing?
Thank you SNAPFisher. You have very nice boat also. I love Crestliners!!!!!! Fishing was amazing. Between the five of us ,we caught and released over 130 Walleye. Many were over the 50 mark. It was a great day
Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you SNAPFisher. You have very nice boat also. I love Crestliners!!!!!! Fishing was amazing. Between the five of us ,we caught and released over 130 Walleye. Many were over the 50 mark. It was a great day
Man, you guys killed it. Congrats!
Old 08-06-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Pigeon report

Quote:
It’s awesome to see fellow members helping each other out, instead of belittling one another! Good on both of you guys!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 AM

H i snapfisher ,were you camping in the prov campgrounds in the D loop .
Some one 4 stalls over from me had a creastliner. I had the truck camper with the lund .
Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
H i snapfisher ,were you camping in the prov campgrounds in the D loop .
Some one 4 stalls over from me had a creastliner. I had the truck camper with the lund .
That was not me. I live out on a farm west of Devon so it is a quick 30 minutes drive to Mulhurst. Shoot in and shoot out
Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 PM

Good on ya Snap!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Good job, Snap.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 PM

nicely done, everytime i see you've posted i've gotta read it, another nice post, thanx
Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Pigeon

All this rain has been just what the doctor ordered for Pigeon Lake. The water is higher and nicer than I have seen it in almost 10 years (my parents have a cabin there). We are across the lake from Mulhurst and I have not seen any issue with the health of the Walleye, I caught probably 60 in the past month and they all looked and fought fine.

Also caught half a dozen pike last weekend and five of them were the typical skinny, under-fed variety. But my daughter landed a really nice one at least 10 pounds and healthy-looking which was very encouraging.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM

https://www.facebook.com/11401997531...95351&sfns=xmo
Old 08-12-2019, 05:08 PM

I also found quite a number of skinny walleye this month. though not as skinny as most of the pike I have caught there this year.
I was also very nice not seeing the "normal" pea soup that Pigeon usually has at this time of year.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Cleaning time

were we out the first week of august and some of the walleye were thin to say the least , most of the shorter fish were in good shape fat, the only pike we caught was 36 inches and maybe 3 lbs thin as a rail . thanks again snapfisher for the rock guard its still protecting the crestliner. cheers
Old 08-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
were we out the first week of august and some of the walleye were thin to say the least , most of the shorter fish were in good shape fat, the only pike we caught was 36 inches and maybe 3 lbs thin as a rail . thanks again snapfisher for the rock guard its still protecting the crestliner. cheers
Nice on the rock guard! Glad it went to a good home.

I'll keep my eye on the skinny fish. I really haven't caught any over the last while so it was a bit of a surprise.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Nice on the rock guard! Glad it went to a good home.

I'll keep my eye on the skinny fish. I really haven't caught any over the last while so it was a bit of a surprise.
may be out this weekend need to cut the weeds at the sandholm lot. and fish a little