Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Abraham lake

Does anybody have any info on Abraham lake by rocky and ice conditions?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:20 AM

Haven't been out this year. Last year however went first week of January I belive and not much luck on the west end. One thing I'd like to share with people considering going out there. when we drove out there the first day the entire middle section of the lake was wide open, thought we'd have to cancel but found good ice further down. We went out again there very next day and the whole lake was froze over, someone could have very easily misread the ice conditions.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:37 AM

That is a very dangerous place to fish. The ice changes daily, and unpredictably. Aside from new current melting ice...You could find yourself drilling into air - water level dropped and the ice is suspended above it. You could also find the surface level dropped 10+ vertical ft at the end of the day and you can't get out. The wind through the pass can cause pressure ridges and cracks in minutes, and sometimes the feeder streams can open up and flood/open the mouth well out onto the main lake.

No way in hell would I even consider fishing there in winter. I know people do, but I've heard all of the above stories happening to people and I don't like fish quite enough to be a statistic.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
That is a very dangerous place to fish. The ice changes daily, and unpredictably. Aside from new current melting ice...You could find yourself drilling into air - water level dropped and the ice is suspended above it. You could also find the surface level dropped 10+ vertical ft at the end of the day and you can't get out. The wind through the pass can cause pressure ridges and cracks in minutes, and sometimes the feeder streams can open up and flood/open the mouth well out onto the main lake.

No way in hell would I even consider fishing there in winter. I know people do, but I've heard all of the above stories happening to people and I don't like fish quite enough to be a statistic.
From what I hear, the fish aren't even that big in there? So whats the point! I mean if there were 50lb lakers regularly I'd say its a little more justified.

So I'm not derailing, I would say that the ice is too dynamic to fish and it is dangerous. And the most productive spots are probably the most dangerous (river mouths).
Old 12-09-2017, 11:25 PM

As mentioned it's an incredibly dangerous place to fish and the lakers are all small. How the ice can support itself over hundreds of yards when the water level is dropping defies physics but believe me it happens. Its a soul sucking feeling when that auger breaks through to nothing...
Old 12-10-2017, 10:15 PM

Talked to a friend who went there today to look for those ice bubbles and he said it's still wide open, very warm and very windy out there.