Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Thumbs down I am not ready to be done fishing yet.

I fished Rupert 18 days this summer, and just got back from California. Honestly if I had the opportunity I would leave again tomorrow. This damn saltwater fishing is a disease, I am hooked. It is worse than drugs I think, never tried any drugs but I am definately in withdrawl.
I have a good stock of salmon, halibut, crab, yellow tail, yellow fin and shrimp in the freezer, but I miss the action.
What's the cure? I have no interest in slough fishing anymore, the NSR and sturgeon hold no allure for me. I have zero intention in ice fishing, sold the shack a couple years ago.
Tuna fishing almost did me in, I was seriously thinking of selling my big boat and just doing a swack of trips down south. I am not even putting the boat in the garage for winter, instead I did an extensive winterization on it at OJ's in Wainwright and bought a cover. I can't work on it over the winter, which will be a change.

Anyone else experiencing these symptoms? Got trips planned over the winter months?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I fished Rupert 18 days this summer, and just got back from California. Honestly if I had the opportunity I would leave again tomorrow. This damn saltwater fishing is a disease, I am hooked. It is worse than drugs I think, never tried any drugs but I am definately in withdrawl.
I have a good stock of salmon, halibut, crab, yellow tail, yellow fin and shrimp in the freezer, but I miss the action.
What's the cure? I have no interest in slough fishing anymore, the NSR and sturgeon hold no allure for me. I have zero intention in ice fishing, sold the shack a couple years ago.
Tuna fishing almost did me in, I was seriously thinking of selling my big boat and just doing a swack of trips down south. I am not even putting the boat in the garage for winter, instead I did an extensive winterization on it at OJ's in Wainwright and bought a cover. I can't work on it over the winter, which will be a change.

Anyone else experiencing these symptoms? Got trips planned over the winter months?

No ice fishing ?! That's going to far hahaha
Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

No, but great update.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 PM

So go already and leave the local fishing to us!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
So go already and leave the local fishing to us!
Thanks. You can have it.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 PM

I could take that nice boat of yours off your hands if it has become to much of a burden.

Just sayin.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I could take that nice boat of yours off your hands if it has become to much of a burden.

Just sayin.
Bring cash! Lots of it.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 PM

After 4 years of fishing almost every weekend here in AB I am starting to lose a bit of interest in some of our fishing too especially in most of the lakes close to the city.

We have some great fishing but a guy can only catch so many of the same fish before the allure wears off and driving 4-10+ hours each weekend to fish the good lakes starts to get a bit old too. Still fun when a guy can get out with other guys and have a good weekend but its been hard finding guys interested in doing those full weekend kinds of trips so I often end up going on my own.

I too sold all my ice fishing gear this year. I might pick up enough gear to join some buddies if they want to go do a fun trip or two but I won't be fishing every weekend this winter like I have the past few. Instead I am hoping to do a Florida trip or go to a kayak fishing resort in Panama, maybe I can get lucky and figure out a way to squeeze both in.

Next summer I wont fish as much but will try to fit in 1 or 2 big trips each month. I would like to hit Vancouver Island up again and there is also a tournament out in Ontario I have been wanting to try. Will have to fit a Fraser trip or two in as well and have all sorts of other trips I would love to do but the above alone will already use my 3 weeks vacation and up and then some...

I need a good job with around 3 months of vacation, then I might be able to fit in some more of these trips I want to do lol.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I need a good job with around 3 months of vacation
Ya, that would be sweet.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks. You can have it.
Sure will

Sounds like you suffer from NotEnoughGreatFishingSpotsInitis.
You need to expand your horizons in AB including ice fishing. That and if you really have that much have of an itch, you should really explore some BC coast rivers. They are pretty spectacular right now. Make an extended long weekend (Fri and Mon) and you have yourself something great on those rivers.

I always get a laugh when I hear about someone hung up on one particular type of fishing. This includes just fly fishers. Or bored with close by lakes. So what's the problem? You or the fishing

There are opportunities each and every month that I look forwards to. Salmon fishing would be just one of them. You have already taken on the most expensive one. You might be surprised how quickly you can get setup for a new style of fishing, a lot less $$$ and how rewarding the change is. Right now I'm thinking about spectacular dry fly fishing for some really big cutties. Or, sight fishing some whites in the shallows. It is literally killing me that I'm not out there and have farm work to do instead.

Ice fishing is probably the hardest to argue but event that I am really looking forwards to. Hunting huge whites at Pigeon that peel off a lot of line and take 10 minutes to land sure scratch an inch. Beyond that, doing some camera fishing is very relaxing but also interesting and exciting. If you setup a shack and sit there,....well...I'd sell my stuff too.

Failing all that, time to rethink your career and move. You just might become the happiest boat owner alive...

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 09-23-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

I started losing interest in ice fishing almost 20 years ago and I used to be a guy that was on the ice every opportunity as in a few times every week. I haven't hit the ice now for at least 5 years and given the current AB regulations with such limited retention laws I have very limited interest in catch and release fishing through the ice. For me the allure of ice fishing besides all fishing encompassed was to catch a few feeds of fish out of nice cold waters when warm water fish such as perch, pike and walleye seem to be at their best from an eating standpoint. There are times I miss the feel of a fish on the other end of the line in the traditional method of handlining, nothing ever feels as good as bare hands on mono with a fish fighting below the ice out of view then seeing it as you get it closer to the hole but I guess I don't miss it that much or I'd be pursuing them regularily. What I do miss most when winter hits is big open water fishing. I love downrigging and hearing those cables hum, seeing a rod "pop" free of the release and then load up and start bouncing crazily when a salmon or large trout tears the lure free of the release......ahhh summer I can't wait already!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM

The ice fishing season is when my fish meals and retention goes way up....I think there may be some opportunities you are missing. But don't worry about them, some others will take advantage
Old 09-23-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Bring cash! Lots of it.
I won 25ooo s on western this my offer lol
Old 09-23-2017, 09:17 AM

You guys aren't looking at the big picture. I have no interest in catching another jack laketrout brookie rainbow or walleye. Perch and white do nothing for me. When I say slough I mean any body of fresh water. I am saying i need to go fish Mexico. Hawaii. Peru. Panama.
Nobody else here is booked on saltwater fishing?
I want to hear some rooster stories. Sailfish and giant tuna pictures are a must. Toothy baracuda, giant trevaly, quick bonefish.
I know a lot of people in here have fished exotic places, looking for fascinating saltwater adventures, not 'on the nsr by Alcurve'.
I have fished prairies like I said for 40+ years, this salt deal is fairly new to me and i like it.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
I won 25ooo s on western this my offer lol
Ah right on!

Old 09-23-2017, 10:06 AM

Try this on for size .. http://murphysportfishing.com/site/fall.html

You won't be sorry.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
You guys aren't looking at the big picture. I have no interest in catching another jack laketrout brookie rainbow or walleye. Perch and white do nothing for me. When I say slough I mean any body of fresh water. I am saying i need to go fish Mexico. Hawaii. Peru. Panama.
I want to hear some rooster stories. Sailfish and giant tuna pictures are a must. Toothy baracuda, giant trevaly, quick bonefish.
I know a lot of people in here have fished exotic places, looking for fascinating saltwater adventures, not 'on the nsr by Alcurve'.
I have fished prairies like I said for 40+ years, this salt deal is fairly new to me and i like it.
My girlfriend is originally from PEI and her and her ex husband ran a commercial lobster/fishing fleet. Her first Bluefin Tuna was 868 lbs. Does that count?!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
No one can dispute what saltwater has to offer - variety galore and every type of fishing. What I'm saying is that all that is frickin awesome and there is a life time in that alone....but overlooking what you have at home and changing that up and enjoying the hell out of it...sounds to like the bigger picture is eluding you. That or you really do need to move to the salt so you can do your stuff year round.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
My girlfriend is originally from PEI and her and her ex husband ran a commercial lobster/fishing fleet. Her first Bluefin Tuna was 868 lbs. Does that count?!
Yes! Pics man pics!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No one can dispute what saltwater has to offer - variety galore and every type of fishing. What I'm saying is that all that is frickin awesome and there is a life time in that alone....but overlooking what you have at home and changing that up and enjoying the hell out of it...sounds to like the bigger picture is eluding you. That or you really do need to move to the salt so you can do your stuff year round.
The bigger picture is eluding me? I said I fished prairies 40 years. How did I overlook it?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM

I go through the same kind of thing too. Wanting new challenges drives me crazy and I haven't indulged much in big trips. Saving some of the stuff out there for a little later in life and enjoying the same old boring stuff with the family for now which has just as great of a reward.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes! Pics man pics!!!

The bigger picture is eluding me? I said I fished prairies 40 years. How did I overlook it?
That there is the salt and opportunities in your own backyard overlooked. At least I'll bet there is. You already said you are not doing ice fishing any more. Sounds like you used a shack. Move around much? Ever used a camera to see what makes a fish hit and what doesn't? Try different lakes and different species?

Do you fly fish or have tried it?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roa View Post
i could take that nice boat of yours off your hands if it has become to much of a burden.

Just sayin.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

I have fished a bit in the tropics and on the coast and its ok, but after 50 years of fishing I still enjoy fishing "at home" the most. One of the biggest pleasures I have in fishing is trying to figure out the location, depth and presentation for the day.

Having someone do that for me removes a really fun part of fishing for me. I am not a big fish eater, and most all of my fishing has been with my family and friends, I would not trade that for anything.

It all comes down to what you really want from fishing, and it is different for everyone, none right or wrong if you are fishing everything just seems to be a bit better.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That there is the salt and opportunities in your own backyard overlooked. At least I'll bet there is. You already said you are not doing ice fishing any more. Sounds like you used a shack. Move around much? Ever used a camera to see what makes a fish hit and what doesn't? Try different lakes and different species?

Do you fly fish or have tried it?
I admit only ice fishing for about 15 years, the first 10 were all over the place with a hand augar and maybe some days a tarp over my head. Later on I got a few tents and tried cameras, fishfinder, flashers. I got a shack on skis when my old fishing friend was unable to handle the cold and setup. He is the same one that got me into fly fishing and kept me in hunting.
When he left I just couldn't sit in the shack anymore looking at his empty seat thinking he was dead. Some will remember the story.
I didn't flyfish much, wasn't my thing. I enjoyed tying more than throwing, have long since gotten rid of all the fly tying stuff and most of the gear.
Fishing for me at this stage in my life is just as much about travelling the world and knocking all the species off my bucket list I can. I am not a c&r guy, I fish to eat. I am glad that guys enjoy fishing their backyards, good for you!
Right now I am looking for information and past experiences on salt water trips. Exotic locations and other fish that fight like demons excite me, company of surgeon excluded.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
After 4 years of fishing almost every weekend here in AB I am starting to lose a bit of interest in some of our fishing too especially in most of the lakes close to the city.

We have some great fishing but a guy can only catch so many of the same fish before the allure wears off and driving 4-10+ hours each weekend to fish the good lakes starts to get a bit old too. Still fun when a guy can get out with other guys and have a good weekend but its been hard finding guys interested in doing those full weekend kinds of trips so I often end up going on my own.

I too sold all my ice fishing gear this year. I might pick up enough gear to join some buddies if they want to go do a fun trip or two but I won't be fishing every weekend this winter like I have the past few. Instead I am hoping to do a Florida trip or go to a kayak fishing resort in Panama, maybe I can get lucky and figure out a way to squeeze both in.

Next summer I wont fish as much but will try to fit in 1 or 2 big trips each month. I would like to hit Vancouver Island up again and there is also a tournament out in Ontario I have been wanting to try. Will have to fit a Fraser trip or two in as well and have all sorts of other trips I would love to do but the above alone will already use my 3 weeks vacation and up and then some...

I need a good job with around 3 months of vacation, then I might be able to fit in some more of these trips I want to do lol.
Don't go buy any ice gear. I have a ton of it, you can have some. I will likely never use it.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM

I hear you Ken.
There is so much water to fish on this planet and a lot of it is quite inexpensive to do.
Here are few of my adventures.

The first two are from fishing in NZ. The last is from RSA. RSA was awesome and cheap to do and get to.

13256475_838211772952126_900947096939540974_n.jpg

13321889_838147349625235_2727002068872370531_n.jpg

11224538_679761418797163_4213184180887938112_n.jpg

RJ
Old 09-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
I hear you Ken.
There is so much water to fish on this planet and a lot of it is quite inexpensive to do.
Here are few of my adventures.

The first two are from fishing in NZ. The last is from RSA. RSA was awesome and cheap to do and get to.

Attachment 137961

Attachment 137962

Attachment 137963

RJ
Now That's what I'm talking about!!! Thank you!

Old 09-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Banned

Ken.. So many places on the coast to explore next summer. I really liked your idea of heading to Alaska. You have the boat go explore. The QCI is just waiting for you.

But yes, I get your need for big game fishing. Take a look at Panama or Tuna fishing off our own Nova Scotia.https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...10&oe=5A4D5142
Old 09-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Thunder Elk Hunter or myself can hook you up with people in either place that make the trip more than just fishing.

RJ
Old 09-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Ken, you should talk with surhuntsalot (Travis) as him and his wife have flown down to Mexico quite a few times, rented a panga for very reasonable rates and had some fantastic fishing trips. I saw that you aren't fond of Mexico, but after speaking with him, it may change your mind. I haven't been there yet, but San Augustinillo is supposed to have some awesome fishing where you can catch tuna 400 meters from the shore. Canadians are well liked down there as well.