Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Default Boat trailer lights

So sick of constantly fiddling, worrying about my "submersible" boat trailer lights. Am thinking about trashing the lot of them and rigging a set of lights that will hang off the transom of the boat. They would be removable for fishing and then for the ride home they go back on. Can anyone advise on the legality of this and thoughts as to if this is a good idea?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Default Trailer lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So sick of constantly fiddling, worrying about my "submersible" boat trailer lights. Am thinking about trashing the lot of them and rigging a set of lights that will hang off the transom of the boat. They would be removable for fishing and then for the ride home they go back on. Can anyone advise on the legality of this and thoughts as to if this is a good idea?
I did a lot of boat trailering to salt water launches--The salt was very destructive to the lights.This is an excellant idea,I did it for years,was never stopped,or asked about it.You can custom make a rig for your boat,they will last for years.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:14 AM

I think that's a great idea.

Gone through quite a few sets of "submersible" lights. They never are.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:59 AM

This outlines legal requirements regarding location, heights, etc. There is a link to download in a chart format that I find more readable. There is quite a wide range for heights - it shouldn't be too hard to get a removable setup within the guidelines.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...iler_e-414.htm
Old 09-03-2019, 08:15 AM

Hey there,

Seems like you may have tried this but in case you havent i bought some led sealed lights for my trailer and theyve been great (not saltwater though). Got them at princess auto
Old 09-03-2019, 08:52 AM

2 seasons on the LED ones and so far, so good. Prior to that same issues. The old bulbs get so hot then the cold water makes them explode. When I would remember I would unplug before launching.... but a hassle. I'll track down the name of the LED package I purchased think it was on amazon and ran $50.... was a 4 beer install and seems to be working well.

I gotta say a couple of metal plates 2 sided tape and some magnetic lights would be a good idea too, legally if you got lights your good!!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:46 AM

Princess auto led ones when on sale. 2 years no issues
Old 09-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Great idea pikergolf. I have some trailer towing lights from Princess Auto that never get used and I've had issues with my boat trailer lights over the years.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis57 View Post
This outlines legal requirements regarding location, heights, etc. There is a link to download in a chart format that I find more readable. There is quite a wide range for heights - it shouldn't be too hard to get a removable setup within the guidelines.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...iler_e-414.htm
Thanks for the link, awesome resource.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2019, 05:55 AM

A bit of a pain but as suggested already I unplug mine first and by the time I am launching they haved cooled down enough thatbthey dont burn out. I havent replaced a bulb in several years now where before I always had a couple spares in the glove box.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
A bit of a pain but as suggested already I unplug mine first and by the time I am launching they haved cooled down enough thatbthey dont burn out. I havent replaced a bulb in several years now where before I always had a couple spares in the glove box.
Used to that as well but did not seem to help. Finally went with led and never an issue do not need to unplug just back in
Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Smile

As others have said go LED and you won't have to worry about them.

The other thing you have to think of is that darn license plate. The trailer lights have one side that is clear on the bottom for a light to light up the license plate. If you don't have that they will pull you over for sure.

Sealed LED lights are by far the best way to go.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:28 AM

With your removable light idea, tow trucks have suction cup lights when pulling a dead car. It also means you need to run the cables/cords/wiring back to the light. Might be a pain to handle the wiring.

Not sure what the problem is with trailer lights. My last boat was launched many times over 8 years and never popped a bulb.
My new unit has LED's and after 2 years still perfect. I have never unplugged, cause that also means the trailer brakes lock up. Actually looks cool seeing the trailer lit up under water.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Just go to Princess Auto, get some leds, wire it up, not hard, heat shrink the connections, should last forever if not at least 10 yrs, on sale around $40 total, way easier than concocting some apparatus to keep them out of water, leds are sealed and give off very little heat, when they came along they were the best answer right away, never have to worry about unhooking electrical connection, worst thing that rarely happens is you get a dud, oh well go buy a replacement youre back in business, if they dont come in the package buy at least one orange marker light and attach in such a place that you can see it in rear view, that way at night you know youre lights are working without having to stop and get out and look

Last edited by mikebossy; 09-05-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: l
Old 09-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Lights

Remember, dielectric grease is your friend on the plug...