Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Default Fishing in Mazatlan

Headed to Mazatlan the third week of February, who are the better charter companies to use to do a little fishing?

Trip Advisor reviews seem to be all over the map.

I'd specifically like to hook a Striped Marlin (the only marlin in season at that time) and a Dorado (Mahi Mahi) or two.

Any other things to do and places to eat would also be appreciated.

Already planning the quad tour and Tequila factory tour.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:35 PM

Depends on your budget..

Smaller boats out of Maz get the rare marlin, problem with maz is everyone who fishes those waters keep EVERYTHING.. not sure when they’ll get with the times and realize their fishing would be better and so would their businesses if they started letting things go. Many times I’ve been there you need a twin engine diesel to get to the fishing grounds and back in a day.

Old marina, old SLOW boats. New marina, newer boats but comes with price.

There’s a couple guys from Alberta running insideoutsidecharters now, maybe look them up. Their prices were ok.. I didn’t have luck with them but that was like 4 years ago.

Last time down I fished with Tequila.. and would recommend them as they have different size boats to chose from. This was in 2018..

Lots of people like Pepe’s but based on their Facebook page I’d skip over them myself. I’ve never fished with them.

Make sure you get down to the old city to the square for dinner one evening. Stop at Mr. lionso’s for tequila tasting, the owners are probably the same ones you booked your tours with.

Tight lines!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlYiNGuY View Post
Depends on your budget..

Smaller boats out of Maz get the rare marlin, problem with maz is everyone who fishes those waters keep EVERYTHING.. not sure when they’ll get with the times and realize their fishing would be better and so would their businesses if they started letting things go. Many times I’ve been there you need a twin engine diesel to get to the fishing grounds and back in a day.

Old marina, old SLOW boats. New marina, newer boats but comes with price.

There’s a couple guys from Alberta running insideoutsidecharters now, maybe look them up. Their prices were ok.. I didn’t have luck with them but that was like 4 years ago.

Last time down I fished with Tequila.. and would recommend them as they have different size boats to chose from. This was in 2018..

Lots of people like Pepe’s but based on their Facebook page I’d skip over them myself. I’ve never fished with them.

Make sure you get down to the old city to the square for dinner one evening. Stop at Mr. lionso’s for tequila tasting, the owners are probably the same ones you booked your tours with.

Tight lines!
I'll definitely look into inside out, thanks for the tip.

I'll be staying with friends that spend all winter down there and own their own place, the Tequila tasting should be non stop. Going to do a factory tour also.

I found most companies online reviews are hit or miss hence my post, I would be really disappointed if I spent a bunch of money to only catch a snapper.

They know someone that will take us out for dirt cheap but i don't know if they are any good and if it means catching a Marlin or a decent Dorado I have no problem bucking up and spending a bit.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated
Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
went out of cabo last december on a panga which was fine as long as the conditions werent too choppy cost me 200 plus tip. unfortunately the marlin was bleeding pretty badly as it had swallowed the hook. had a sealion following our boat and stealing bait so we didnt bother setting the hook until it was too late. definitely do C&R if you can.