Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Default Sylvan/Gull Lake Adventure

Believe it or not, the wife thought it would be a good idea to rent a hotel room in Sylvan Lake and bring in the new year with a ice fishing adventure.

Lets get this out of the way right off the hop... NO she does not have a sister !!!

We arrived at Sylvan Lake late Tuesday afternoon and fished near Sunbreaker Cove. There was a lot of action on the camera, but the fish did not seem interested. I tried out my new smart fish lures/jig head & minnow/dead stick & herring to no avail. My wife ended up catching a small burb at sunset and we called it a day.

Wednesday Morning I was drilling holes in the dark and tried a different location further west of Sunbreaker Cove. Ended up pulling out a Walleye at first light, and another one shortly after. Caught a few small Pike 3-4 pounds, and around noon had a giant 15+ lb Pike come by, I call them squarebacks when they get that size. He took a swipe at the hook, but the wife missed it. I really don't think I will ever let her live that one down.

We were planning on staying at that exact location until sunset in hopes he would come back for another round. Unfortunately some A** thought it would be a good idea to unload his racing quad, and tear around the area with 15/20 tents/shacks there. I got so frustrated I thought I should leave rather than confront this inconsiderate moron. We ended up moving to a spot where no one else was, we only seen a few Perch, action was slow so we called it a day.

Thursday morning headed to Gull Lake, on the North West side, once again I was drilling holes in the dark, watching the sun come up in the rain! It was a very slow morning only seen a few Perch on the camera. Around 11am I was thinking I might have made a bad decision to fish in a new area where no one was.
My father in law showed up, and I told him to come in the tent for a few minutes. I said the fishing is slow and we are going to move shortly. He saw a nice Perch on the camera and decided to throw a hook down, no sooner than the hook hit the bottom, a 10 pound Pike came by and sucked up a small jig head with a 3/8" piece of worm on it. Luckily I had 10 Lb braid on the rod because that is not the first time a pike has tried a go at my perch rigs.
We then decided to stay put, and the action picked up. Had a 6 + Lb burb to the top of the hole but he threw the hook, and got away. Landed another burb around 4 pounds saw some nice pike and had one on the herring dead stick but failed to get a look at him.
We packed up around 3pm and headed home, Gull lake seemed to be better action than Sylvan this time around. All in all it was a good adventure and a fantastic way to bring in the new year. Happy new year to all the great people on AO forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 224.jpg (53.6 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 231.jpg (60.1 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 233.jpg (51.2 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing 2014 041.jpg (19.8 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing 2014 039.jpg (30.7 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing 2014 044.jpg (40.3 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing 2014 045.jpg (57.1 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg Ice Fishing 2014 047.jpg (49.1 KB, 459 views)
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 01-02-2015, 04:24 PM

She's a KEEPER!

The wife I mean...lol.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Are you sure she doesn't have a sister? How about best friend? If not, I'll take credit for those fish you caught :-)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Banned

Cool

Great update and super pics "happy new year smiles all round" thankx for sharing.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Sounds like the whole trip was awesome (except the quader guy). Happy New Year
Old 01-02-2015, 07:06 PM

Nice man! Gull was so slow for me on the 31st, saw AT LEAST 13 whitefish and not one was interested. Never even saw a pike or burb and over the course of the day we caught 4 3inch perch and 1 9incher, we drove on at brownlows and drove all around the place trying to find fish and NOTHING. Been like that for me the two times I went out before that as well. All I caught there this season is those tiny perch and one burbot on opening day
Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 AM

Great post. My wife dosen't like me going fishing nor will go fishing. She sure likes to eat what I bring home though.
Her first comment after I get home is, well what did you catch?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 AM
Suspended User

Default Happy New Year!

Nice pics and great way to bring in the new year with the family! That was some big jack you caught!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM

Great looking fish!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
Nice man! Gull was so slow for me on the 31st, saw AT LEAST 13 whitefish and not one was interested. Never even saw a pike or burb and over the course of the day we caught 4 3inch perch and 1 9incher, we drove on at brownlows and drove all around the place trying to find fish and NOTHING. Been like that for me the two times I went out before that as well. All I caught there this season is those tiny perch and one burbot on opening day
NCFlyishin,

That was only my 2nd time fishing Gull, the first time I went to Brownlows because I heard a bunch of people have sucsess there. I only caught 1 perch there and 1 pike in about 5 hours. I think it doesn't hurt to try to get away from the crowd and find your own bit of structure, may or may not pay off but it is well worth it when it does!

Kim,

My wife loves to fish but she lets me pack all the gear into the truck, drill all the holes, set the tent up and get the heater going, take the fish she catches off the hook, and if we keep any I clean them and cook them. She loves a good fish fry, but yea I think it's a pretty good deal for her too. I guess I can't complain too much because she's always right there with me, but could you imagine how nice that would be if the shoe was on the other foot?
Maybe one day...but that won't stop me from braving the elements, I am just way too addicted to fishing!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
NCFlyishin,

That was only my 2nd time fishing Gull, the first time I went to Brownlows because I heard a bunch of people have sucsess there. I only caught 1 perch there and 1 pike in about 5 hours. I think it doesn't hurt to try to get away from the crowd and find your own bit of structure, may or may not pay off but it is well worth it when it does!

Kim,

My wife loves to fish but she lets me pack all the gear into the truck, drill all the holes, set the tent up and get the heater going, take the fish she catches off the hook, and if we keep any I clean them and cook them. She loves a good fish fry, but yea I think it's a pretty good deal for her too. I guess I can't complain too much because she's always right there with me, but could you imagine how nice that would be if the shoe was on the other foot?
Maybe one day...but that won't stop me from braving the elements, I am just way too addicted to fishing!
WOW! No wonder she doesn't mind going along! LOL! I'm a woman and I do my own loading and unloading, set up, drilling the holes, setting up the tent etc etc... and I know it's a lot of work! And yes I do take the fish off the hook for my lady friends when they brave the elements and come with me! LOL! So yes your wife has a sweet deal going! Smart lady! Ha Ha!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Fishslayer99, if you don't mind me asking, where is the access point on the northwest side of Gull lake? I was at Brownlows last week and got skunked without even seeing a fish. I am considering going to Gull lake this weekend but would not like to come home empty handed again.

I do know there is a community on the northwest side and may try over there.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM

What should I say......be nice to her this year and have second year approval...LOL, happy new year to all your family!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof5 View Post
Fishslayer99, if you don't mind me asking, where is the access point on the northwest side of Gull lake? I was at Brownlows last week and got skunked without even seeing a fish. I am considering going to Gull lake this weekend but would not like to come home empty handed again.

I do know there is a community on the northwest side and may try over there.
Hwy #20 to 771, take a right before the bend it's a campground, watch for the sign Google earth will give you a better idea. Good luck to you!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 PM

nice pics. good on you for being adaptable ; looks like you had fun .

Tags
gull lake, sylvan lake