Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Default 2014 Ford Focus owners..**Update**.

Looking at getting a first car for my youngest daughter (17). I have been pretty set on another Toyota Yaris as we have had great luck with them, but I have a line on a 2014 Focus SE hatchback, 77K km and a decent price. Reading reviews, looks pretty good for value, build quality, fuel economy, and has 5 star safety rating which is big for me.

Anybody have one (or similar year) with real world experience, good or bad? Appreciate any comments.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Lot of people do not like the way dsg transmission drive. Will not last as long as Toyota
Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 PM

My 18-year-old son bought a 2015 just recently, and it was a rebuild.

There have been a few hiccups (because of the rebuild), but overall super happy with it. Great on gas, peppy but not dangerously so, and good value. We paid I think $6,500 and it had less than 60,000. Again, a rebuild, and we did have to fix a few minor things after buying it.

It's a great little first car.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM

By 'rebuild', do you mean a car that was written off by insurance...?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
By 'rebuild', do you mean a car that was written off by insurance...?
Yes. Is that the wrong word for it?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-14-2018, 02:39 PM

I’ve got a 2011 that I use as my back and forth to work car, just rolled 200,000 Km and runs like a top, other than a oil change every 10,000 km I’ve never had to touch it.. very nice little commuter cars..

Jim...
Old 07-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Yes. Is that the wrong word for it?
Probably more accurate to call it a salvage, but I knew what you meant. Rebuild is probably more commonly used for engine/power train.... appreciate your replies. TC

Old 07-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Xlnt car

Me, I had a 2012 Ford Focus SE.

Bought it as dealer's year-old customer service car. Excellent runner, very reliable, steady handler on road, and quite good - ahem - off road as well, driving to gopher shooting grounds. Good lights, good luggage space, nice sound system (phone connection port is in the glove box).

Transmission (6 speed auto) worked fine the whole time. That tranny one of the main things people complain about, not sure why?

Kind of on the quick side, too! And this with the standard engine. Reaches 170 km/h quite fast, or so I'm told, ahem. Lordy does it get through the mountains fast!

As for problems, they were a few.
- broken fog light, not complex to replace, but sure took a lot of fiddling time to get in there
- on the rear shelf, by the back window, the cloth kind of fell apart. A Ford kit to fix same exists, $27 and it was fixed, took a little while
- filters are many, and while they work well, they sure are a bugger to change!!! What with packing all that stuff in a compact space, well it gets tight. Changing the interior air filter is a contortionist's dream/nightmare.

The only reason I sold it was I decided to go to an electric hybrid vehicle, a 2017 Ford C-Max, which is a great choice but a whole 'nother story.

I have no complaints whatever about the Focus - good car, I'd say.

TargetRick