Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Firearms license renewal interview

So my pal expired, on June 7th. I was in the middle of a move and it honestly slipped my mind, cause I honestly havent looked at my pal card since the day it came in the mail years ago. They recieved my renewal application on June 11th. So they processed my credit card $80 dollars which i thought ok good my new license should be here by hunting season. 3 or 4 weeks after i recieve a letter in the mail, stating they need to do a full new application and they want copies of my birth certificate, references etc. So now Im in a panic because im now a criminal. So i express post all the information to them they recieved it exactly 5 weeks ago today. I call them up to find out the status of my new application. After being put on hold for approx 20 minutes. they come back and tell me that in 1 to 2 weeks they are gonna be calling for interviews to my references and myself. So now I cant even hunt, ive never had any issues with the police, ive had one speeding ticket in my life. Ive hunted every year since i was old enough to follow my old man. I was really looking forward to hunting this year with my daughter shes finially old enough to walk and she enjoys the outdoors.

I feel like im being treated like a criminal, and I really despise the feeling actually. 4 days late on the renewal. Are any others going thru this process?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 PM

If you have a gun with no license then yes....you are a criminal.

Give up your gun and surrender yourself to the RCMP

Or am I wrong?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobothemonk View Post
If you have a gun with no license then yes....you are a criminal.

Give up your gun and surrender yourself to the RCMP

Or am I wrong?
Troll.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM

I believe a wise member recently suggested that a poster have his lawyer call the Chief Firearms Officer to "expedite things". As I recall things were fixed in a few days.

Having said that, you don't need a PAL to hunt with a firearm. You just need someone with a PAL right there with you. What "right there" looks like when you are a couple miles off the road is open to officer interpretation.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:07 PM

This fine gentlemen may be able to speed up the process for you.

http://www.fritzereddeer.ca/

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM

i asked the lady on the phone if there was a way to speed up the process as its been a few months already. she said only if its for employment purposes. she said i can hunt with someone who has a license. but the problem is i do not know anyone here with a firearms license. I am new to the province. well almost 3 years new. Yeah my worry is in transporting the firearm gettin pulled over by rcmp. Does anyone know can I and the references call in to do the interview to speed up the process.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM

I would go hunting without the pal and in the slim chance you get asked tell the truth and there will be no problem I will bet. There are many risks in life and that ones worth taking. Speeding is a more serious offense IMO.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I would go hunting without the pal and in the slim chance you get asked tell the truth and there will be no problem I will bet. There are many risks in life and that ones worth taking. Speeding is a more serious offense IMO.
Speeding doesn't get you charges under the Criminal Code of Canada, and the resulting criminal record.
Sec 91 and 92 specifically.

There is an inherent risk if you decide to go hunting without your PAL. Albeit somewhat slim, there is always the chance of meeting some 6 week wonder out of Depot looking to be the next greatest gumshoe.
So proceed with your eyes open and fully informed of the possible worst case scenario.

Further to what has already been suggested, call your MP's office and see if they can get things moving forward a bit faster.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Isn't the amnesty still in place for another year?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballs View Post
Isn't the amnesty still in place for another year?
No!
The amnesty was only for registration of non restricted firearms.

The requirement to satisfy sec. 91 and 92 of the CCofC has been a full requirement for a very long time.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Do they let you know your pal is about to expire and send you renewal forms or do you have to keep on top of it?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Do they let you know your pal is about to expire and send you renewal forms or do you have to keep on top of it?
A bit of both. I saw that my expiry was soon pending and sent in my renewal application 2 months or so early, in anticipation of government 'efficiency'.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Has anyone ever been asked to show their FAC (way back when) or PAL ?

I've been stopped by DNR and RCMP they checked license, tags and guns no one ever asked for my PAL. I offered my registration certificates once to an RCMP once told me as long as my guns weren't loaded in the truck he didn't care.

If mine was expired I'd try to get as soon as possible if couldn't get by hunting season I would sit this season out, with my luck Dudley Doright would pull me over!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Banned

PAL should be good for life. This paper criminal stuff is crap.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
PAL should be good for life. This paper criminal stuff is crap.
Arrgh, This is getting to be a habit. Agree. Make it for life. They can pull it if you get convicted of something. Otherwise once you are qualified, you always should be.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Get used to this treatment.

Remember C-68....the bill of the Cretch, Rock, and the Feminazi-girly boy coalition is supported by Harper.

And the people who own guns don't seem too concerned. Until they are in a situation like you are in.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Mine expires on my birthday in November.
I applied last June - STILL haven't seen the new one!!
Cat
Old 10-10-2013, 06:40 PM

I was out target shooting a few weeks ago north of cockrane and a young warden asked to see my pal. I actially laughed. He must really be looking for some brownie points. I told him he was the first to ask for it since they came out with the thing. What a collasal load of crap. The games the government plays just to make it look like they are doing something about gun related crime. I think they should also be able to give you. temporary card within 24 hrs if its stolen or lost. Isn't there a law about turning honest hard working people into criminals be a useless piece of plastic gets lost. Wonder what BS is in store for gun owner if the Libs get back in.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM

How far in advance of it expiring is a person supposed officially apply for renewal? If a person applies for renewal I the time frame specified by them and they don't provide you with the pal then they should be held acountable. Time for a letter to my MP . Although I think some MPs are scared to deal with gun owner concerns.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Didnt you get a renawl notice? I got one and sent a new picture and got mine no problem. Anyway too late for that if you are a criminal it should be no problem unless they think you are dangerous or some kind of practicing criminal. I think its a local firearms office decision if hes not got an agenda against you you should be ok. Especially since the court never revoked your pal but that doesnt mean they have to give you one i dont think or an interview would not be neccessary
Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Same here... mine expired, I'm like you, haven't really looked at the expiry date for ever... but it did. Anywho, filled everything all out, sent it away, and 3 months later there she was, right there in the mailbox. What takes 3 months, or more for that matter, for it to be re-newed??

Honest question!! I know a couple of guys that have waited for almost six months!! They have clean records, clean drivers licence middle class everyday you and me people.

Six months??
Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Banned

This is something that needs to be changed before the Cons get voted out next election...maybe. Gonna phone my MP and bring it up. Probably won't go anywhere, but at least the complaint gets registered.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

Section 91 of the CCC needs to be ripped out. You unfortunately are a criminal without government approval to temp own firearms. Sec. 117 is also abhorrent.

Please do write Stephen Blaney, Stephen Harper, and your MP and demand this system be changed.

I write minimum 3 emails and 1 hard copy letter to each per month saying just that.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Default Pal renewal

Tough call - I would likely carry one with exp PAL and roll the dice... Or you could take bow with you (if you bow hunt!) and could still get out with your daughter-
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

There is a difference between not being licensed and not having a current license.

Mind your P's and Q's and relax.

Maybe get a friend to hold em for you... go hunting... accompanied by a licensed friend... close by.

I'm pretty sure they are not going to frag you for being absent minded... you have the training...you had a license and you simply lost track of time.

I did the same thing with my registration one year and again with my auto insurance another year..and wouldn't you know it...I got caught but...it was no big deal.
No ticket...no charges.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Call the lawyer