Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 PM

Default SD card issues

Hey guys, has anyone else had any issues with SD cards? I review my pics, then delete them off the card. Sometimes when I put the card back in a trail cam, it says card full. when I look again on the computer, the pics are no longer on there but still says card full on the trail cam when I insert it. Anyone else have this issue?

thanks for any insight.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Hey guys, has anyone else had any issues with SD cards? I review my pics, then delete them off the card. Sometimes when I put the card back in a trail cam, it says card full. when I look again on the computer, the pics are no longer on there but still says card full on the trail cam when I insert it. Anyone else have this issue?

thanks for any insight.
When you delete pictures it doesn't actually get rid of them. It allows you to rewrite over them. You think they are gone because once you delete it doesn't allow you to see them. If you run a recovery software program all your old photos will be recovered.
The issue is that, just like in the 'olden days' of VHS, you could tape over and over on the same tape, but eventually you lost quality because of information confliction.
With a digital memory card it means that you stand the chance of data confliction that does not allow the card to operate properly.
Don't know what camera you are using...but most tell you that you should regularly format the card (I do this on a monthly basis). Formatting actually does completely reset all the card registers to factory empty.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:

thanks for any insight.
Bob's right-delete then format the SD card.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-28-2020, 07:29 PM
Banned

I format every time i finish reviewing pictures, never had any issues. Formating deletes everything, no need to delete files beforehand.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 AM

BUT... only format in the camera you are using the card in, I formatted trail cam card in my laptop, and it would no longer work in my trail cam.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned

I use cheap moultree cameras and format cards on laptop with no issues. Camera writes its own data onto sd card every time you replace it.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryimmers View Post
BUT... only format in the camera you are using the card in, I formatted trail cam card in my laptop, and it would no longer work in my trail cam.
Yes-most excellent advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-29-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryimmers View Post
This is formatting in the proper setting. Fat32 I think it is. A Macbook will default it to an apple setting. You have to change it in a drop down menu.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
With a digital memory card it means that you stand the chance of data confliction that does not allow the card to operate properly.
Don't know what camera you are using...but most tell you that you should regularly format the card (I do this on a monthly basis). Formatting actually does completely reset all the card registers to factory empty.
Unless you are executing a VERY low level format operation this is incorrect, I’m not sure it’s even possible. Also, from the point of view of card life this is actually not a good thing and as a result current flash memory based devices won’t work this way. Storing data or erasing it both count as write operations, each cell in a flash memory device has a limited life based on the number of write operations. Flash devices that are designed for intensive writes are still much more expensive, you won’t see them on the rack at Best Buy.

When you do a format operation in the camera or “quick” format in Windows all it’s really doing is rewriting the File Allocation Table to indicate that the blocks are free. The primary difference between this operation and just deleting the files is the rewrite of the FAT which is probably why you notice an improvement and it should sort out CDNOutdoorsman’s problem.

Keep in mind, with the right software you can still recover files from a quick formatted card. That wouldn’t be possible if the format was erasing the cells. Even if you tried a full format I don’t think the SD card’s controller will do anything other than mark the cells as free for reuse. You wouldn’t be able to recover files from that but the cells won’t actually be flipped.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
This is formatting in the proper setting. Fat32 I think it is. A Macbook will default it to an apple setting. You have to change it in a drop down menu.
True for a disk but not for a memory card, it will default to FAT.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Unless you are executing a VERY low level format operation this is incorrect, I’m not sure it’s even possible. Also, from the point of view of card life this is actually not a good thing and as a result current flash memory based devices won’t work this way. Storing data or erasing it both count as write operations, each cell in a flash memory device has a limited life based on the number of write operations. Flash devices that are designed for intensive writes are still much more expensive, you won’t see them on the rack at Best Buy.

When you do a format operation in the camera or “quick” format in Windows all it’s really doing is rewriting the File Allocation Table to indicate that the blocks are free. The primary difference between this operation and just deleting the files is the rewrite of the FAT which is probably why you notice an improvement and it should sort out CDNOutdoorsman’s problem.

Keep in mind, with the right software you can still recover files from a quick formatted card. That wouldn’t be possible if the format was erasing the cells. Even if you tried a full format I don’t think the SD card’s controller will do anything other than mark the cells as free for reuse. You wouldn’t be able to recover files from that but the cells won’t actually be flipped.
Was trying to keep it simple...why formatting is better than deleting.
For those who want the extensive details
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/f...-a-memory-card
Old 09-29-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:

thanks for any insight.
Make sure the little lock switch on the card is in the right position.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
True for a disk but not for a memory card, it will default to FAT.
Its what my Macbook does. Have to change the setting everytime. So may be different for you