Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
yup.....my most awesome lab came back with such a stench from natures black and white stink devil....it too took many washes to get the stench out
Skunk is nicer than cigarette smoke. Even quite pleasant on the highway at 108 km/hr.

Last edited by sns2; 09-27-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Skunk is nicer than cigarette smoke. Even quite pleasant on the highway at 1108 km/hr.

Your truck must be supercharged.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Your truck must be supercharged.
With a shot of NOS.... lol
Old 09-27-2020, 10:35 AM

Adding to this, it is still crazy to me that it was just over 15 or so years ago you could still smoke inside at restaurants in their “smoking” section. My family owns a restaurant and it took years for that stench to come out. Nowadays I couldn’t even imagine trying to dine in a restaurant and having a delicious meal ruined by the choking funk of darts.

I also remember going by my family friend’s used car lot and he used to just chain smoke inside his office and was ****ED that he could no longer do it inside. Eventually forced him to quit though.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:20 AM

First off, I doubt the guy selling even thought about it. Most smokers don't notice the smell of cigarettes. I don't think this means all people suck, or that even most people do. If you asked a bazillion questions and smoke smell bothers you so bad, why didn't you ask him if the car had been smoked in? If he had said no and it had been then I think he sucks, but it doesn't spread from there to everyone else.

My other comment is you can get many bad odours out of a car. I would much rather get rid of cigarette smell than get one the has been de-smelled and cleaned up from being flooded. Soap and water along with Ozone is a great odour remover. If I can save enough money I have no problem spending a few bucks getting a car deodorized. Same is true of houses. We moved over 25 times, if we had eliminated all the homes that had a smoker in them it would have cut the options by more than half and in many places there weren't many choices of places to buy to start with. Some stuff just isn't that big a deal because it is easily fixed.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:22 PM

My first truck was smoked in but the smell went away with time. We are getting so sensitive to anything that we don't like. We all work hard for what we have and we feel we shouldn't have to put up with anything we don't like. I wish the mice that keep getting in our equipment would understand that! It's crazy, for what we pay you would think they could build a cab that was sealed up to those vermin!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:16 PM

I work on other people cars all day. Some stink of cigarettes, some stink of weed, some smell of diesel and oil, dogs, some are so perfumed up it seizes my nasal passages. The absolute worst has to be mini vans of young mothers who have babies and toddlers, they reek of rotting soiled dirty diapers, urine, baby puke, sour milk and formula and rotten food and who knows what else, Instant gag reflex. On occasions some have been so bad it has made me vomit. To add to that everything is sticky, gooey or greasy, with all those mystery stains on seats, carpets, steering wheels, interior door handles and fixtures, etc. A 6 day old gut pile in hot weather doesn't compare to that sickly sour smell.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I work on other people cars all day. Some stink of cigarettes, some stink of weed, some smell of diesel and oil, dogs, some are so perfumed up it seizes my nasal passages. The absolute worst has to be mini vans of young mothers who have babies and toddlers, they reek of rotting soiled dirty diapers, urine, baby puke, sour milk and formula and rotten food and who knows what else, Instant gag reflex. On occasions some have been so bad it has made me vomit. To add to that everything is sticky, gooey or greasy, with all those mystery stains on seats, carpets, steering wheels, interior door handles and fixtures, etc. A 6 day old gut pile in hot weather doesn't compare to that sickly sour smell.
My car and SUV would be a real treat for you then. Spotless, and smelling like Maquire's cleaning products (leather and vinyl). I would let you work on them for free, it would probably be a joy for you. Not that they need anything done on them.

Have you ever noticed the direct correlation between cleanliness and mechanical condition? I have.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Been doing this 40 yrs..all the above is TRUE and exacerbated, when the windows are closed up and sitting outside in +30C heat
Old 09-27-2020, 09:37 PM

Not an honest mistake. The seller knows his truck isn't in high demand. You gotta be dead or from Pluto to not know the social stigma surrounding smokers. He's lived through the phase from smoking everywhere and anywhere to at least 30 feet from a public doorway, He knew exactly what he was doing.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:56 PM

As a former smoker I feel your pain......IT STINKS......As for all the fancy ozone gadgets and pretty smelly crap to try and cover up the stink.... They don't work.
Like others on here if a vehicle , house etc. has been smoked in, I move on and yes people who smoke do stink.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
For sure, can totally appreciate your pain.

My brother and I used to be the "clean-up guys" for our family's used vehicles. This was back when we were all pretty much surrounded by smokers. Cleaning the tar goo out of the vehicles was a gross job, but back then, it was really much more common. And on the cheaper type of vehicles that we tended to buy, more of the surfaces were vinyl, even the headliners, so they were easier to scrub clean. I was actually more disgusted by the deposits of heavens-knows-what left on the surfaces that were most commonly touched.

I had one vehicle that had a persistent smell that I couldn't get rid of, and it stuck with the vehicle for almost a decade... The "Sour Milk" smell. It eventually became my vehicle, and it did get milder, but on hot days, it would rear its nasty olfactory head.

I'm often reminded of how much has changed over the last few years... My kids barely recognize cigarette smoke. The smell of pot has supplanted it.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Snowflake much? Probably the single most whiny BS post I’ve read in the nearly 20 years I’ve been on AO.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol that’s exactly what I thought as I read this. Too funny
Old 09-28-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Low life scum move by the guy selling the truck.

Smoke stinks. Heavy smoke stinks worse. Smokers likely don't notice it because it smells good to them.

To the guy who had to stay overnight in a smokers house, you either didn't use soap or need a new washing machine. Cigarette smoke on your clothes is not different than campfire smoke, and it sure as heck don't take three cycles to get that smell out. Just sayin.

We all rant from time to time, but best not to exaggerate in your rant.

By the way, people do suck. That's why I have a Lab. He never smokes. He never lies. He never breaks forum rules and whines about the results. He is a truly nice person

I'll see your Lab and raise you a Lab and throw in a Duck Toller.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
With a shot of NOS.... lol
once you break the sound barrier everything smell's the same....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-28-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I'll see your Lab and raise you a Lab and throw in a Duck Toller.

Your boys are growing up fast! Love the pup too!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:05 PM
Banned

1st hand
2nd hand
3rd hand smoke is just disgusting
The whole family are smokers but myself.
That's why chewing Copenhagen is so much better.
If you fall asleep with it it will not start a fire.
It never in dangers anyone else's health.
And last but not least its DELICIOUS.
Just dang expensive.
Ps. The only thing worse than cigarette infested places is SPENT SCAVENGER oh boy nasty nasty nasty sh!t.

Last edited by helluvahunter; 09-28-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:21 AM

Reminds of when we looked at a house once. Great neighborhood, great house, pictures were amazing, $100,000 below market value, rushed over to see it and the house smelled.

It wasn't cigarettes, it was cooking spices and stuff - could not get over it. Apparently the house had been unoccupied for months (the family got transferred to Toronto) and they had purifiers and other equipment going all the time there before showings.

That house sat on the market for many months before I got there, and sat many more after I looked at it.

Offensive smells can be quite offputting.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
You probably won’t eliminate all the smell as I’ve been trying to get the smell of cigarettes out of my truck for the past four months. I quit smoking successfully and can’t stand the smell now. I may try one of those steam cleaner deals I seen on tv recently. I’ll look it up again, it’s a smaller hand held steam blaster.
So far I scrubbed it up to a standard only a women would appreciate and also used non scented fabreeze. I hit it with that super powerful ultraviolet light I got as well. The light did help believe it or not! That is after that burnt smell dissipated.
I have one of those if you want to use it

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Snowflake much? Probably the single most whiny BS post I’ve read in the nearly 20 years I’ve been on AO.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha Oh! Shots fired!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
First off, I doubt the guy selling even thought about it. Most smokers don't notice the smell of cigarettes. I don't think this means all people suck, or that even most people do. If you asked a bazillion questions and smoke smell bothers you so bad, why didn't you ask him if the car had been smoked in? If he had said no and it had been then I think he sucks, but it doesn't spread from there to everyone else.

My other comment is you can get many bad odours out of a car. I would much rather get rid of cigarette smell than get one the has been de-smelled and cleaned up from being flooded. Soap and water along with Ozone is a great odour remover. If I can save enough money I have no problem spending a few bucks getting a car deodorized. Same is true of houses. We moved over 25 times, if we had eliminated all the homes that had a smoker in them it would have cut the options by more than half and in many places there weren't many choices of places to buy to start with. Some stuff just isn't that big a deal because it is easily fixed.
I have no doubt the owner knew what he had. The truck had only been on the market for a little over a week when we got there but that’s a long time for a vehicle that was being described as in excellent shape, had low kilometres and priced a bit below what I thought would be market value. And despite what some may think a good used Power Wagon is in high demand. Affordable used ones in great shape sell as fast as they go on the market. It’s a niche truck; front and rear lockers, low axle gears, factory Warn winch...etc...

To be honest I never thought to ask about cigarette smoke smell in the truck. I have zero sense of smell since walking into a Chlorine cloud when I was 17. But I could taste it. And the yellowed door panels from Nicotine were a dead give away. The whole inside of the truck was weathered looking because of it.

So, even if the owners were nose blind because of smoking for probably their whole life, I’m 100% sure the nasty smell had already been pointed out to them by perspective buyers and even if I had not specifically asked whether they had smoked in it the inside could never be described as mint like it had been. The whole we are retired now and don’t need a truck anymore but this was our baby and we hate to see it go was what talked me into a 1100km round trip drive. It’s a long way to go but after talking with them and hearing how they described it I thought the drive would be worthwhile. As for getting the smell out, that could happen but I still needed to drive it over 500km to get it home first, and I couldn’t wait to get out of it after 10 minutes so that was out.

I’d agree though that not all people suck, just these ones.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Haha Oh! Shots fired!!!
Bahahaha! Not hard to see who the die-hard smokers are...lol.

I didn’t start this thread to bash smokers. I really couldn’t care less if a person wants to smoke and I have family/friends who smoke.

It’s false advertisers/liars that I can’t stand and felt the need to rant about...
Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Reminds of when we looked at a house once. Great neighborhood, great house, pictures were amazing, $100,000 below market value, rushed over to see it and the house smelled.

It wasn't cigarettes, it was cooking spices and stuff - could not get over it. Apparently the house had been unoccupied for months (the family got transferred to Toronto) and they had purifiers and other equipment going all the time there before showings.

That house sat on the market for many months before I got there, and sat many more after I looked at it.

Offensive smells can be quite offputting.
Knew a few people who moved into houses with those cooking/spice smells. One house kept hints of the smell for the entire time they lived there.

The other family, well, they did ethnic cooking, so the smell in their house just changed, and, frankly it actually smells a lot better after five years or so of them living there. However, with that one, they had gifted me their old range hood as they wanted a different one (stainless). I scrubbed and scrubbed that thing and I just could not remove the crud and film. I threw every chemical I had at it, and just ended up giving up and recycling it in the end.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvahunter View Post
1st hand
2nd hand
3rd hand smoke is just disgusting
The whole family are smokers but myself.
That's why chewing Copenhagen is so much better.
If you fall asleep with it it will not start a fire.
It never in dangers anyone else's health.
And last but not least its DELICIOUS.
Just dang expensive.
Ps. The only thing worse than cigarette infested places is SPENT SCAVENGER oh boy nasty nasty nasty sh!t.

According to Chris Ledoux, Copenhagen makes childbirth a pleasure.

Gerry Burnie