Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 05:18 PM

Question Chainsaw recommendations?

I’m looking for a good saw for firewood. Lots of power for bigger logs and reliable, tired of my little saw that’s under powered and a pain in butt to use. What’s better stihl or husqvarna? Which model will last me a lifetime?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:23 PM

My Stihl AV 035 is from the 70's and still going strong, super good saw!
However, if you compare coompparable models of Husky annd Stihl I doubt if youu will find much difference.

However,my younger brother and and a friend are professional arborists that handle really big trees and both of them prefer Stihl for both the big saws and their climbing saws.
Cat
Old 09-27-2020, 05:24 PM

That saw for the 70’s will outlast anything now
Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Husqvarna 372. Best pro saw ever made (according to most saw hands anyways).
Lot's of power and lot's of chain speed.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:34 PM

My vote is a pro grade saw, stihl or husky I couldn’t care either way. When I cut firewood I ran a husqvarna 365 special and it was a dream to use compared to the bottom end stihl’s and huskies I had previously.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM

I still use my Husky model 61. It works great and will probably out live me. My friend who cuts wood with me has a newer model and he can’t keep up. Great old saw. I think it first come out in the early 80’s
Old 09-27-2020, 06:37 PM

Ford vs chevy debate.

I love my husky 365 special. I put a alert on kijiji for that saw, only thing is one popped up in a weird category and husqvarna was spelt wrong, but it was very cheap. That's why I think no one was replying. I jumped in the truck asap and picked it up.

Just if you go for a husky there are knock offs to watch out for.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:40 PM

I use a Stihl MS271 on the trapline....I’ve cut A LOT of big wood this year. Hasn’t missed a beat. I have used mostly Aspen 2 premixed fuel since I bought it. It’s ten years old
Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Ford vs chevy debate.

I love my husky 365 special. I put a alert on kijiji for that saw, only thing is one popped up in a weird category and husqvarna was spelt wrong, but it was very cheap. That's why I think no one was replying. I jumped in the truck asap and picked it up.

I’m buying a new one from a dealer so I hope that’s not an issue.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:59 PM

I run a Stihl Ms291 with a 20” bar. Cut a fair amount of firewood every year. Run premixed fuel in it and change the air filter plug and fuel filter every year. Haven’t had any issues yet. I’ve also run husky 455 ranchers and loved every minute of it. If money wasn’t an issue I’d look at a stihl ms261 or 362. But for the 200$ I paid for my 291 I can’t complain.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
My vote is a pro grade saw, stihl or husky I couldn’t care either way. When I cut firewood I ran a husqvarna 365 special and it was a dream to use compared to the bottom end stihl’s and huskies I had previously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Ford vs chevy debate.

I've ran a 365 for years. Saw has cut more wood than most.
Still prefer the 372. Bit bigger and faster chain speed.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:17 PM

Stihl pro saws

Ms 261cm with 16" bar is absolutely an amazing saw for that sized wood. Awesome and ideal for delimbing and bucking 16" wood.

Ms 362cm is great with an 18-20" bar.

Their 70cc saw, 20-24" bar also great.

If most of your wood is under 16", I would highy suggest the
the 261 with 16" bar or a 362 with 18-20" bar if you need the length.

If you dont use the saw a lot, consider fuel stabilizer or storing it with the fuel that doesnt go bad. We use it on our weedwackers and leaf blowers and hedge trimmers over the winter, works great!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:26 PM

The 372 is a better saw then the 365,the 372xp x-torq is an excellent saw that you will never regret buying. I still have 2, 272 xp's and I don't cut much with them any more,but they have tons of hours on them from years ago and are still in excellent shape, plus I could still get a good buck for them if wanted to sell.but there staying right here.

Go with a husky pro or a sthil pro saw,avoid the lower end stuff if you have serious cutting to do.At the end of the day you still feel good,that's worth more then a guy thinks.

If I was to buy another saw hands down it would be the 372 xp x torq,they may have a demo to try,so try it and you will be impressed.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-27-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Just like asking who has the best pickup. Most of my toys are Husky or Stihl and never have had an issue. If you buy a Husky dont buy the CTire model as it is a Chinese rebranded model. I have run a Husky 55 for years and up until recently was doing about 5 kords a year with it. I found the bar and type of chain are key. Put on a more aggressive chain and as long as you have enough power will cut the like like butter. Touch it up before you start cutting as well. Dull chains do nothing but get you frustrated.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:33 PM

What size, and what type of wood are you cutting?? Likely I'd recommend a Stihl 261, 361/362, or a 462. If money was no object, I'd recommend a Stihl MS500i. The reports out of Europe is that that is a very great saw.

I'm of the opinion of staying away from Echo. Basic parts are generally very expensive, and not much aftermarket production.

I also have a Husky 365xpg special. Great saw. Not made anymore though. Lots of them rebuilt with chinese parts that aren't as good. So, you have to be careful about that. The husky 500 series pro saws have had issues with the computer that controls the carbs, and the carbs themselves. Those can be very expensive to fix.

I'd stay away from homeowner and farm/ranch grade saws. The pro grade are much faster cutting with higher chain speeds for the power, are lighter for the power, and have better vibration dampening.

After using a MS 200, a 241, and a 362, I'm amazed at how much slower my MS170 and MS250 are, and how much more vibration they have.

I've come to understand that one either pays with time and/or other things (such as painful joints), or you pay upfront with money. Although at times you do stumble across really good deals.

This does depend on how much you really use the saw. If you only use the saw 2 or 3 times a year, get a battery saw. Much less headaches.

Last edited by amosfella; 09-27-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I've ran a 365 for years. Saw has cut more wood than most.
Still prefer the 372. Bit bigger and faster chain speed.
Absolutely the 372 is a better/more powerful saw then the 365. My point was to buy a pro grade saw, not a hobby saw like a 455 rancher. I brought up the 365 because it’s the one I used.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Just like asking who has the best pickup. Most of my toys are Husky or Stihl and never have had an issue. If you buy a Husky dont buy the CTire model as it is a Chinese rebranded model. I have run a Husky 55 for years and up until recently was doing about 5 kords a year with it. I found the bar and type of chain are key. Put on a more aggressive chain and as long as you have enough power will cut the like like butter. Touch it up before you start cutting as well. Dull chains do nothing but get you frustrated.
Agree on the husky saws. Buy the 300 or 500 series saws.

You can run a chain with lower cut rakers in soft woods like pine, and spruce. However, put that same chain into oak, locust, or ash and possibly tamarac, you're asking for a very bad time.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Husqvarna 372. Best pro saw ever made (according to most saw hands anyways).
Lot's of power and lot's of chain speed.
I like my 372, nice to have the power for bucking bigger trees.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:59 PM

When I was a kid while bucking I used both Husqvarna and Stihl. Husky 480, 266, 181, 281 and an 064 Stihl. I preferred the Stihl. I've been out of the game for about 30 years now but anything in the 65cc to 90cc in orange or white will probably work. It's nice to have the power and not need it vs needing the power and not having it. And if you're a bit taller, a 20+ inch bar is much easier on the back.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Any recommendations on a good chain? I picked up a ms271 awhile back with an 18” bar. The chain it came with wasn’t to bad when I kept it sharp. I then hit a rock and need to replace it. I think a more aggressive chain might be a bit better.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:25 PM

All chains need resharpening after hitting rocks and dirt. Big thread on that a while back. Consensus was a file keeps an edge and can get it razorsharp like stones with a knife while an electric unit gets 90% as sharp for really dulls chains much quicker.

The trick is not to hit anything and roll the log over or lift it off the ground to finish the cut and keep spare parts.

Go with a pro saw. They are worth it!

Ms 261 is on sale till the end of the year I think for an absolutely great 50cc saw.

A 70cc saw isnt for the typical average homeowner or user if you ask me. You have to be going into lots of 20"+ wood to justify that!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 09:43 PM

My choice would be a professional Husqvarna if buying new. I have a 288 and a 61 which processed about 20 cords every year. Both have full house chains on 22” bars. The 288 never fails to amaze, as it began life in a log home builders yard, and I bought it over 25 years ago. Still runs like a top.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I’m buying a new one from a dealer so I hope that’s not an issue.
If I had to buy new I’d go with a Stihl 362 for an all around saw. I’d go with the 24” bar and run skip tooth chain.
A good used Stihl 044 or 440 or husqvarna 371/372xp with a 28” bar would be my personal choice
Old 09-27-2020, 10:55 PM

I have an ms261. It’s a great little saw. I run a 20” bar which is okay for soft wood if you keep the chain speed up, but I’d love a 70cc saw for trips to BC.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
Any recommendations on a good chain? I picked up a ms271 awhile back with an 18” bar. The chain it came with wasn’t to bad when I kept it sharp. I then hit a rock and need to replace it. I think a more aggressive chain might be a bit better.
Get a Stihl 2 in 1 file, and file the chain past the damage. Keep it as a spare chain. I like Stihl chain the best. Seems to stay sharp the longest of the standard metal chains that I've used.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:04 AM

Stihl has released a new EFI saw if you don't like fiddling with carbs. I haven't seen one yet.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Stihl has released a new EFI saw if you don't like fiddling with carbs. I haven't seen one yet.
MS500i. People in Europe seem to really like them. It's a 80cc class saw. They also have an MS400i out in trials. Don't know much about it.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:41 AM

70 cc .7/32 chain ,good ppe clothing is the best investment you will ever do, but these saws are for guys who have experience in saws,even the best after day after of repetitive work,you can still slip up,no ppe voids many private claims,instructions are in the box for a reason.

Taking down your rackers is something you better know how to do,or your saw bites to hard or kicks back on a limb and it will hurt or kill you or disable you for life. Chains snap or come apart more often then you think,so proper ppe is a must. Using this tool to make a living or just cutting firewood doesn't make the saw any safer specially one over 60 cc .any saw can cut you up,but the more power it's not hard to figure out.

A frozen poplars or a dry dead big tree you need to finish you cut fast if it's windy or a bad lean,one wrong move and you maybe part of a stump in a hurry.Or bust you saw all up.

If treated with respect and proper ppe there a great tool,i wouldn't trust one person in my neighbor hood with a pro saw .Most can barely start a fire or swing and axe.They walk there dog,but in reality the dog is walking them.

Both stihl and huskies are at the top of the list for a very good reason,there both very dependable specially in the pro series,so find one well balanced and enjoy.

Neither is a poor saw unless it's run by a poor sawyer,more of them by far then bad saws.

JD.

Last edited by JD848; 09-28-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Husqvarna chainsaws come from many countries even though the label says made in “Sweden” or “USA”. The company has facilities and subsidiaries in Sweden, France, Germany, United States, China, and Brazil. It's most likely that each chainsaw is made up of components that are sourced from one or more of these countries

Oh and always put your chain saw away ready to go for the next outing....clean..sharp...adjusted chain...I just don't leave the gas in and fill up prior to use...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-28-2020, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
70 cc .7/32 chain ,good ppe clothing is the best investment you will ever do, but these saws are for guys who have experience in saws,even the best after day after of repetitive work,you can still slip up,no ppe voids many private claims,instructions are in the box for a reason.

Taking down your rackers is something you better know how to do,or your saw bites to hard or kicks back on a limb and it will hurt or kill you or disable you for life. Chains snap or come apart more often then you think,so proper ppe is a must. Using this tool to make a living or just cutting firewood doesn't make the saw any safer specially one over 60 cc .any saw can cut you up,but the more power it's not hard to figure out.

A frozen poplars or a dry dead big tree you need to finish you cut fast if it's windy or a bad lean,one wrong move and you maybe part of a stump in a hurry.Or bust you saw all up.

If treated with respect and proper ppe there a great tool,i wouldn't trust one person in my neighbor hood with a pro saw .Most can barely start a fire or swing and axe.They walk there dog,but in reality the dog is walking them.

Both stihl and huskies are at the top of the list for a very good reason,there both very dependable specially in the pro series,so find one well balanced and enjoy.

Neither is a poor saw unless it's run by a poor sawyer,more of them by far then bad saws.

JD.

Well said!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...